CCBCFC Stadium (1 Viewer)

lordsummerisle

Christmas 94 it was.

Remember when that Jill Phipps got run over too?

The bloke who used to run those flights got jailed a few years ago for smiggling cocaine into Southend Airport in a B707 a few years back, landed and chucked it out the back, but was caught bang to rights.

ajsccfc

Could we not bulldoze a load of those horrible steel houses in Canley? would be near the city centre and my great nan lives there and is refusing to move otherwise, 2 birds with 1 stone.

Is that around Wolfe Road? The houses around there look horrendous.

Ashdown

When I used to work at Coventry Airport, we'd always get several noise complaints at 0610 on the dot complaining about the noise of a Thomsonfly aircraft taking off.

All part of a concerted campaingn from Bibbenhall and Stoneleigh to get the flights stopped, all call based on the schedule.

Pointing out to them that the flight didn't actually operate that morning never made any difference, the fact that they would all set their alarm clocks to get up to make a complaint really got to me to be honest.

Personally, I'm all for protecting the environment and keeping England a green and pleasant land. For me they can stick HS2 and 3 etc where the sun doesn't shine and stop these huge housing estates going up on farming land and flood plains. All that said Coventry has had an airport for a long time and the dozen or so in and outs from Thomsonfly added more to the City than damaged it. It probably brought a 1000 extra people a day to Coventry and it's business' and if even only half of them were people from outside the area then it will have been more beneficial than Wasps fucking rugby club !

NorthernWisdom

Personally, I'm all for protecting the environment and keeping England a green and pleasant land. For me they can stick HS2 and 3 etc where the sun doesn't shine and stop these huge housing estates going up on farming land and flood plains. All that said Coventry has had an airport for a long time and the dozen or so in and outs from Thomsonfly added more to the City than damaged it. It probably brought a 1000 extra people a day to Coventry and it's business' and if even only half of them were people from outside the area then it will have been more beneficial than Wasps fucking rugby club !

Indeed. Who needs to get to London 10 minutes faster?!?

tbf I could understand people on the flight path being annoyed, more than the ones who bought houses cheap in Baginton BECAUSE THE HOUSE WAS NEXT TO AN AIRPORT and then complain about the noise of planes!!

That said, I used to live under the Heathrow flight path, and after a while it just zones out and you don't notice it!

CCFC88

Indeed. Who needs to get to London 10 minutes faster?!?

tbf I could understand people on the flight path being annoyed, more than the ones who bought houses cheap in Baginton BECAUSE THE HOUSE WAS NEXT TO AN AIRPORT and then complain about the noise of planes!!

That said, I used to live under the Heathrow flight path, and after a while it just zones out and you don't notice it!

Thats a pretty short sighted comment in all honesty, not wanting to distract from the thread being about the building of a new stadium, but the HS2 is not just about cutting the LDM-BRM (which is actually going to cut most journey times by 35 mins), its about keepin the rest of the country up to speed with London.

There's an ever increasing gap between London and the rest of the country and HS2 is essential in keeping that gap manageable in the future and improving the countries economy, especially in the north. Phase 2 will do wonders for Sheffield Nottingham and Leeds

Ashdown

Thats a pretty short sighted comment in all honesty, not wanting to distract from the thread being about the building of a new stadium, but the HS2 is not just about cutting the LDM-BRM (which is actually going to cut most journey times by 35 mins), its about keepin the rest of the country up to speed with London.

There's an ever increasing gap between London and the rest of the country and HS2 is essential in keeping that gap manageable in the future and improving the countries economy, especially in the north. Phase 2 will do wonders for Sheffield Nottingham and Leeds

What a pile of utter crap. It's a huge unnecessary venture that we can't afford at all dreamed up by central government so they can award lucrative contracts to their favourite buddies and sponsors. It will ultimately drag even more money into London, not the other way round and in the process carve up thousands of acres of countryside. When will people be happy, when we have huge sprawling conurbations like Japan and a national debt completely out of control !

NorthernWisdom

What does one do in that time then? Why is the culture 100℅ speed? Why do we need a line that accentuates a London centric economy, and not work on policies to converge areas, as opposed to making the default London and everywhere subservient to it?

And why do we need to save time!

CCFC88

What a pile of utter crap. It's a huge unnecessary venture that we can't afford at all dreamed up by central government so they can award lucrative contracts to their favourite buddies and sponsors. It will ultimately drag even more money into London, not the other way round and in the process carve up thousands of acres of countryside. When will people be happy, when we have huge sprawling conurbations like Japan and a national debt completely out of control !

Love a good conspiracy story don't you, not everyone's out to get you you know.

Having lived up north for a number I years I can testify as to just how bad the train lines are connecting Leeds/Sheffield, Manchester and Birmingham. Why on earth would potential investors in these cities chose to set up shop there over London in its current state, its not going to improve by sitting and let it rot or continuing with temporary fixes. HS2 is without doubt progression for the north, they're is overwhelming support for the plans there, the negativity is coming from from the home counties and Warwickshire understandably as it provides no real gain for them.

Do you not think HS2 will benefit the economies of Leeds, Sheffield, Nottingham and Manchester?

D

Deleted member 4439

QUOTE]

Whilst it may not have been the reason for the conception, you can be sure that self-interest and corruption, on larger and smaller scales, will be behind the weight of the campaign to make it a reality. I see it on a regular basis in the IT sector for the government dept that I work for.

bigfatronssba

Permission would never get given for a football stadium to be built on the greenbelt, it just doesn't happen.

Especially when there is housing needed in the area.

bigfatronssba

Having lived up north for a number I years I can testify as to just how bad the train lines are connecting Leeds/Sheffield, Manchester and Birmingham. Why on earth would potential investors in these cities chose to set up shop there over London in its current state, its not going to improve by sitting and let it rot or continuing with temporary fixes. HS2 is without doubt progression for the north, they're is overwhelming support for the plans there, the negativity is coming from from the home counties and Warwickshire understandably as it provides no real gain for them.

Do you not think HS2 will benefit the economies of Leeds, Sheffield, Nottingham and Manchester?

Can you state any benefits for Coventry & Warwickshire?

CCFC88

the negativity is coming from from the home counties and Warwickshire understandably as it provides no real gain for them.

bigfatronssba

the negativity is coming from from the home counties and Warwickshire understandably as it provides no real gain for them.

I don't see why we should have to sacrifice our countryside (and our current fast service to London) just so even more investment can be put into the fashionable northern cities.

skybluefred

Why on earth would the people of Coventry care about the economies of Leeds,Sheffield,Nottingham or Manchester, when they have lost all of their
major industry. It's Coventry that needs the investment. Further more why should great swathes of our Agricultural land and Green belt be lost
just to save somebody 30 mins of travelling time.

CCFC PimpRail

Or for me, who lives 300 yards from the route in Bucks?

Where abouts in Bucks...? There is a serious capacity issue on the routes into London, they could be addressed at greater expense and 10 years of weekend closures by upgrading existing routes (and all the easy wins have already been done), or just build a new line.

Personally I'm looking forward to moving to Kenilworth when HS2 opens, the property will be more realistically priced then and the current band of whingers will either be too deaf or dead to complain....

Grendel

Why on earth would the people of Coventry care about the economies of Leeds,Sheffield,Nottingham or Manchester, when they have lost all of their
major industry. It's Coventry that needs the investment. Further more why should great swathes of our Agricultural land and Green belt be lost
just to save somebody 30 mins of travelling time.

I think its fair to say the glorious Coventry Council don't give a fuck about green belt given they want house construction on any of it within their boundaries.

Paxman II

Perhaps I'm just dim but just how does spending £50b or £75b on a railway that gets you from a to be a matter of minutes quicker benefit the economy of the north? When built at the rate we get things done in this country it will be out of date already and astronomically way over budget.

I believe if you spread the £75b evenly to the population as a gift, you would solve all the financial woes of the economy in one foul swoop! Besides the numbers simply don't add up. How on this earth can a train line running a couple of hundred miles cost so much?
OK it includes the rolling stock etc and create jobs. Who needs jobs if you have just been gifted a multi millionaire?

letsallsingtogether

Could we not bulldoze a load of those horrible steel houses in Canley? would be near the city centre and my great nan lives there and is refusing to move otherwise, 2 birds with 1 stone.

Get out of it might look terrible but they bring in £1200 a month in rental mostly owned by Londoners and people in south Warwickshire though.

letsallsingtogether

Country as a whole I'm afraid. And in this area not enough houses that is why rental is booming :).

Need to get my pension somehow. Get a 8%-10% yield, No point keeping it in the bank and nearly having to pay them.

I think its fair to say the glorious Coventry Council don't give a fuck about green belt given they want house construction on any of it within their boundaries.

tbh444

The new stations in Nottingham, Sheffield and Birmingham aren't even in the cities - seems more like a glorified park and ride system to help even more commuters get into London than anything that will redress the balance.

letsallsingtogether

The new stations in Nottingham, Sheffield and Birmingham aren't even in the cities - seems more like a glorified park and ride system to help even more commuters get into London than anything that will redress the balance.

Then they will moan that everyone has to drive to get a train therefore polluting the atmosphere.

No good to Coventry you will have to get a connecting train from Cov station head north to Brum then get a train that takes you back past where you started.

It would still be quicker getting the train on the main westcoast line.

CCFC PimpRail

Where would you put the stations then....? HS2 stations are the equivalents to airports, for onward connecting travel. The hs2 station at Birmingham International is a lot easier for most Coventrians than Birmingham is for Brummies, and there's little point in having a high speed line that stops at every farmhouse as the mix in speeds is what kills capacity.

The Gentleman

Are you saying that they have never refused a planning application on green belt land?

pusbccfc

fernandopartridge

HS2 rather than address the economic disparity in Britain will make it worse. It's almost a single city state which the rest of the country as suburbs.

letsallsingtogether

HS2 rather than address the economic disparity in Britain will make it worse. It's almost a single city state which the rest of the country as suburbs.

And as they have no green belt in London they have decided to take ours away, and stick a dirty noisy train on it for good measure.

They will be the only ones who would be able to afford a ticket oh and grendel of course:)

They then moan about the mansion Tax, should double it to pay for the train none of us will ever use.

Users who are viewing this thread