Centre forward problem (1 Viewer)

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Wasnt Dublin Prem top scorer one season with 18?

Yeah but he never mentions it, only talk's about his time at Cambridge united when he's on the BBC. 🤬

blunted

When MR said it was King who now sorts the transfers, I think he specifically mentioned Simms as a King buy. Wonder if that was deliberate? Think we are adapting Simms to our style of play rather than playing to his strengths. I would say MR bought a few duds; be interesting to see how many of Kings buys, where he has the final say, don't work out.
Still see Simms as a work in progress and one of the few players who is behind the curve regarding his contribution. However both Simms and Godden are struggling for chances in the roles they play. I know it was only Oxford, but Godden was given two chances on a plate that he took by good balls from Allen in midfield. Can't remember last time Simms had a ball laid on in front of him from our players, although Wednesday set him up for one. Godden of course, fluffed his chance when he was rolled the ball by Eccles in front of goal. All our midfielders are struggling to pass the ball through the lines apart from Tatsu. Palmer has been particularly profligate in this respect.

Winny the Bish

When MR said it was King who now sorts the transfers, I think he specifically mentioned Simms as a King buy. Wonder if that was deliberate? Think we are adapting Simms to our style of play rather than playing to his strengths. I would say MR bought a few duds; be interesting to see how many of Kings buys, where he has the final say, don't work out.
Still see Simms as a work in progress and one of the few players who is behind the curve regarding his contribution. However both Simms and Godden are struggling for chances in the roles they play. I know it was only Oxford, but Godden was given two chances on a plate that he took by good balls from Allen in midfield. Can't remember last time Simms had a ball laid on in front of him from our players, although Wednesday set him up for one. Godden of course, fluffed his chance when he was rolled the ball by Eccles in front of goal. All our midfielders are struggling to pass the ball through the lines apart from Tatsu. Palmer has been particularly profligate in this respect.
I would be stunned if Doug King, after shelling out for a better StatsBomb package and hiring a bunch of new scouts and recruitment analysts, was just deciding who to sign on a whim.

fernandopartridge

I am pretty sure Robins was just saying that King negotiates the terms of the signing, he didn't say he had any role in identifying the player.

Cally Fedora

Stats will just never, ever, enable you to identify who is the better striker. It can’t for any position but that one in particular is especially nuanced.

PVA

Stats will just never, ever, enable you to identify who is the better striker. It can’t for any position but that one in particular is especially nuanced.

So if one scores 20 goals and another scores 1 goal you can't tell which striker is better?

Cally Fedora

So if one scores 20 goals and another scores 1 goal you can't tell which striker is better?
I’m talking about the hogwash that gets trotted out nowadays like key touches in the corner quadrant or average shits on a matchday.

Deity

No he didn’t.

Robins said we have a 3 man committee …

Robins advises on the priority positions to recruit for and the type of player

Austin provides a list of potential players that fit that description at varying costs

Kind determines the budget

Robins has final say on all players

king negotiates the transfers

PVA

I’m talking about the hogwash that gets trotted out nowadays like key touches in the corner quadrant or average shits on a matchday.

I was being a little facetious with the goals thing I must admit, but there's plenty to be gleaned from all manner of stats. Hence why every club in the land uses them extensively!

Cally Fedora

I was being a little facetious with the goals thing I must admit, but there's plenty to be gleaned from all manner of stats. Hence why every club in the land uses them extensively!
if you narrow the chasm it’s an interesting question. For example who is the better striker Quinn or Regis. One would get a lot more goals. Or more recently a Godden or a Biamou

The watchmaker

Doesn’t take a body language expert to watch this video and see a very clear difference in his confidence.

I think he’ll come good. You can tell he doesn’t really want the ball right now and is lumbered with the expectation and disappointment of the fan base
Confidence has to be the key thing here, right? Okay we might not play to his strengths, we are changing his game etc but there are a lot of good finishes there, chances he has made for himself and shots he just wouldn't take on right now.

He must have come in expecting to be the main man for us. I look back to when he scored his second brace in preseason and Robins was very critical of him, then he was dropped, we brought in our record signing in his position, Godden was scoring for fun... I get why he might be feeling the pressure. But he needs to turn it round soon!

hamertime

I think Robins was referring about when Doug got back from Peterborough and said do you want the good news or the bad news first….

Mucca Mad Boys

Simms was a player wanted by Robins. It’s in his first interview after he signed. Simms had a lot of suitors and he made it clear that MR’s plan for him was why he chose us.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Speaking of our Centre Forward "issues" I saw the below last night and thought it was very interesting. Basically showing how Simms is being asked to play a completely different role than he was at Sunderland. Going from a striker who was asked to only worry about winning headers and goal-scoring to having to create his own chances, run with the ball at defenders, and receiving it 20+yards further from goal than he's used to is a massive change.

Yeah, I'm sure there is a decent goalscorer in there but we haven't figured out how to bring them to the fore.

I had thought the change of formation with Saka and Wright playing wider in a front three would give Simms more chance to concentrate on getting onto things in the box, but it hasn't worked out that way yet. ideally, you'd like him to be holding the ball up, releasing those wide player and then getting in the areas but his first touch needs a lot of work as it stand.

Fergusons_Beard

Need to watch Simms for the whole game he makes some very intelligent runs and just doesn’t get the pass.

Take the goal against Brissle-a classic case of his fantastic movement. He’s already moving towards goal when Kitching shoots, the defender ball watches allowing Simms the tap in.

He does this most games he plays in-very intelligent movement you just can’t coach in such a young player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

junglej13

I've been really disappointed with Simms (particularly as I was delighted when we signed him) and haven't really seen much in terms of movement from him. That said, he has scored goals everywhere he has ever played, physically has everything and is a great age to develop. Even if he takes another 12 months to come good he will still be a big success for us I think.

eastwoodsdustman

The problem with the forwards is the formation we have swapped to not the players themselves.
They are there to primarily press the defence out of possession and pick up any loose scraps that might come their way if they’re lucky.

MikeyMoo

A conundrum, Wright may well be our best option as Centre-Forward, but he's better on the left. But it allows us to fit Sakamoto, O'Hare, Palmer, Sheaf and Torp in, so is probably our best line up. So I suspect we'll see Wright in the middle more - especially if Palmer is going to have a bit of a run of form as well! At 60' you can bring Simms on for Palmer if he's flagging, and shift Wright to the left.

shmmeee

Thought Wright was good through the middle TBH. If he wasn’t just back from injury and was in his flow a bit more would probably have got a hat trick.

Gynnsthetonic

A conundrum, Wright may well be our best option as Centre-Forward, but he's better on the left. But it allows us to fit Sakamoto, O'Hare, Palmer, Sheaf and Torp in, so is probably our best line up. So I suspect we'll see Wright in the middle more - especially if Palmer is going to have a bit of a run of form as well! At 60' you can bring Simms on for Palmer if he's flagging, and shift Wright to the left.
No wonder Simms looks slow, 60 years old😳

Bertola

Need to watch Simms for the whole game he makes some very intelligent runs and just doesn’t get the pass.

Take the goal against Brissle-a classic case of his fantastic movement. He’s already moving towards goal when Kitching shoots, the defender ball watches allowing Simms the tap in.

He does this most games he plays in-very intelligent movement you just can’t coach in such a young player.

Agree with this.

For Torp's goal against Sheff Weds, he made a really good run, and was screaming for the ball.... the run created the extra space for Vic to shoot though and he took that option and found the top corner.

Simm's miss last night was criminal though

shmmeee

Wright too. I hope once Torp is used to them he starts picking them out more.

Old Warwickshire lad

Agree with this.

For Torp's goal against Sheff Weds, he made a really good run, and was screaming for the ball.... the run created the extra space for Vic to shoot though and he took that option and found the top corner.

Simm's miss last night was criminal though
Yea Simms miss last night was bad,he could have took a touch and then hit it.
But did you notice soon after ? He tracked back and blocked a shot in our penalty area,probably saved a goal.
Dont think Wright would have done that.

Hertsccfc

Yea Simms miss last night was bad,he could have took a touch and then hit it.
But did you notice soon after ? He tracked back and blocked a shot in our penalty area,probably saved a goal.
Dont think Wright would have done that.
Yes that bit of defensive work from Simms was good and it was pleasing that the crowd, certainly around me, showed their appreciation. If he does stuff like that his confidence should improve and so will his teammates' confidence in him.

The miss was a bad one but even the best strikers do that sometimes. Again though it showed a lack of composure and he needs to work on that. Shooting is more about direction than hitting the ball as hard as possible.

Last edited:

TomRad85

Thought Wright was good through the middle TBH. If he wasn’t just back from injury and was in his flow a bit more would probably have got a hat trick.
I guess this is my point, so it is possible to look effective through the middle. Godden and Simms just don't.
Honestly I prefer Wright on the left but with Palmer playing well and the other strikers not doing much, Palmer - Wright - Sakamoto does look appealing.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread