Champions League 23/24 (1 Viewer)

covcity4life

Hang on, only recently were a few posters going on about how superior the PL and English teams were compared to others in Europe.

Oh dear.
Another good year for serie a overall in Europe too

I said last year things improving and you disputed it. Now they top of coefficients

I know my footy

Sick Boy

Another good year for serie a overall in Europe too

I said last year things improving and you disputed it. Now they top of coefficients

I know my footy
Yeah, the top clubs; as I said, there are some really poor teams at the bottom of Serie A. Our squad with Vik and Hamer would have been able to stay up, which I stand by.

wingy

Villa just nearly conceded a chance,the female pundit was saying the striker was inside, sorry Luv haven't you seen ours at Wembley!!

Brighton Sky Blue

There are two teams in Serie A and La Liga who’ve somehow won fewer games!
Wow. Unrelated, but next season's Champions League should have some interesting clubs in it from the 'big' leagues: Villa, Girona, Bologna and Stuttgart.

Sick Boy

Wow. Unrelated, but next season's Champions League should have some interesting clubs in it from the 'big' leagues: Villa, Girona, Bologna and Stuttgart.
Pretty sure Salernitana have won 2 games- one of those games was against my local team - the comfort in familiarity!

Brighton Sky Blue

Pretty sure Salernitana have won 2 games- one of those games was against my local team - the comfort in familiarity!
Only seen one Serie A match live and to be fair I really enjoyed it. The standard seemed comparable to a bottom half PL/top end Championship game.

Also had the chance to watch Napoli-Roma but given how bonkers both fanbases are we thought better of it

no_loyalty

Villa 2-0 down at home to Olympiakos in the UEFA Conference League.

no_loyalty

Villa two nil down, Moroccan cf quality stats something like 10 in 16!!
Villa twats from work convinced they are going to win the UEFA Conference League, have booked hotels and flights for the final 😂.

Macca

I can’t imagine they are too arsed with the Champions League to come next year. This thing is basically the European Checkatrade Trophy

no_loyalty

I can’t imagine they are too arsed with the Champions League to come next year. This thing is basically the European Checkatrade Trophy
They haven’t won anything since 1996, they are bothered trust me.

TomRad85

It's a chance to win a trophy, and most Villa fans I know were basically all ready to celebrate it with a semi and final still to play, which will make this even more hilarious. Football is about winning things, those are the days people remember.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Nuskyblue

Dunno, some biggish teams left, I'd love an away day in Athens and a European final against Fiorentina!

Macca

To be fair I’ve just seen they have a 7 point lead over serial bottlers Spurs so they should be giving this a better go

HadjiChippo

Bayer Leverkusen haven’t lost a competitive game since 27/5/23. What the fuck is Alonso feeding them over there?

covcity4life

Yeah, the top clubs; as I said, there are some really poor teams at the bottom of Serie A. Our squad with Vik and Hamer would have been able to stay up, which I stand by.
The top 10 in serie a are all v good teams. It's stacked. That's 50 percent log league. So very negative to say bottom clubs are really poor. I'm more glass half full myself

Sick Boy

Woeful manager won league.

Said no one ever
Only a 🤡 would rate a Championship manager who almost messed up promotion despite a 12 point lead and having the highest wage bill outside the top 6 in the PL and the most expensive squad ever assembled in the Championship.

covcity4life

Only a 🤡 would rate a Championship manager who almost messed up promotion despite a 12 point lead and having the highest wage bill outside the top 6 in the PL and the most expensive squad ever assembled in the Championship.
Who said I rate him?

Winning the league isn't messing up

Also you need to make a lead to blow it

Just give up. You lost this one.

Travs

I've forgotten more about serie a then you wille ever know. You just act like an authority cos lived there or whatever

I don't actually think there's a lot in it across the top 4 or 5 european leagues.

I looked at it statistically a year or so ago.... taking the amount of different league winners in each of the last 10 years, all the leagues were similar (in fact England had a slight lead i think). Same with runners up. Obviously if you only go back 7/8 years or so, then the recent dominance of teams like PSG/Bayern/Juve pushes the balance even further in England's favour.

However England was lagging a little behind in terms of different top 4 teams in the last decade, which points to other leagues being a little more competitive in depth than "we" like to think.

Of course strength is more subjective.... and of course the top 4 teams in other big leagues have not always got the benefit of champions league money, which again helps England.... and of course none of the above accounts for teams in the bottom half.

I just did it to counter an argument elsewhere that "Premier League is the most competitive and thats that" just because that gets peddled on Sky Sports.

However on the other hand it would be foolish to ignore the amount of money floating round the premier league which probably makes it slightly the strongest at the moment... but the gap isn't huge at all.

Users who are viewing this thread