Chris stokes (1 Viewer)

Evo1883

Ok , not his biggest fan or haven't been , I attend every match and my biggest issue with him has been his distribution or his lack of confidence on the ball , always looking to get rid of it quickly and sometimes not reading what the wide men want to do very well at all .
HOWEVER , the lad has been superb at Centre back , showing a level of maturity to his game that I didn't think he had , his distribution is actually better from this position than out wide ,showing real cool composure and defending very well .
I still say he defends better than Haynes out left , and still want him to work on his game and fully understand he is still learning his trade after a big step up , but wanted to say I think he has been superb as of late and would feel comfortable with him playing there again

edgy

He's find off the season for me. Been consistent and reliable. Nothing flash, does his job more than adequately.

I will say on the distribution side, it is easier to pick a pass from centre half as you have both sides and centre to choose from. Full backs have a tougher job in that department.

Pipehitterz

stokes always had a decent game in him, but whwen he first came he had a tendency to let people double up on him and get round the back of him
so far this season ive seen that happen once, most improved player, wasnt there yesterday, but have to say, he was a rock at CB last week too, i would play him there for rest of season myself

we've let in 6 goals in last 9 games
have to say, TM has adjusted us slightly to accom no defense. actually thought we wouldnt see another hammering this season, then crewe happened

honestly cant say what will happen from here in, but its gonna be emotional
can we say , in reality, that we are the best team in the division? i havent seen one as good as us all year

Grendel

Is he only on a contract for this season?

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

I so often back the wrong horse when it comes to city players but I'm delighted I've got this one right backed him from day one (when many city fans on social media had written him off) glad he's paying dividends!

mechaishida

He's an example of what rough diamonds are to be uncovered in non-league football - I'd really like for TM to delve a bit and find a striker from non-league, 'cos aside from Arma, his signings of strikers have been a tad unfruitful.

Del Boy 82

I think chris stokes is a tidy player, a little bit old fashioned in the way he don't mess about with the ball and try too much trickery. He sticks to his responsibilities. He's coped very well as a central defender too, tho from my point of view he is offered more help and protection there from the likes of vincelot, fleck/bigi tho at left back he's rarely offered any protection by Murphy which leaves him open more.

Greggs

Got a real tough streak as well, big boxing fan I believe.

higgs

Clearly his lack of fitness last season held him back very solid this season Mr reliable

mechaishida

He is a far better left baxk than OP gives him credit for imo

Agreed, I mean I haven't had the chance to see him live, but everyone I speak to has a great deal of respect for his grafting and progress into a solid, dependable left-back.

We need to take a few more chances on non-league players, it'll be well worth it.

covcity4life

He plays 1-2s, gets to byline, has a brilliant cross, not a bad shot on him either

And he can defend

Brilliant left back

Want to clone him for rb. Least Phillips playing well now and the swede to come too

mark82

He's an example of what rough diamonds are to be uncovered in non-league football - I'd really like for TM to delve a bit and find a striker from non-league, 'cos aside from Arma, his signings of strikers have been a tad unfruitful.

I like the idea of Fortune as a different option to throw on if we need to go more direct but feel he's being used as a square peg in a round hole at times. What other strikers has Mowbray signed? Isn't it just him and Armstrong?

sw88

Chief Commentator!
When he's at CB I've noticed he's always looking down the left, for a position where he would expect to find himself if he was at LB, if that makes sense. And fortunately Haynes a lot of the time has read this and they've found one another quite well

The Great Eastern

I like the idea of Fortune as a different option to throw on if we need to go more direct but feel he's being used as a square peg in a round hole at times. What other strikers has Mowbray signed? Isn't it just him and Armstrong?

Think there's a lad called Murphy kicking sponge training balls in the dressing room who might get a game or two before the season is out

Adge

Stokes is one of the unsung players this season. 6-7/10 every game and long may it continue!

ps1948

Also like the way he waded in when the Chesterfield guy started trying to bully Maddison last week

mechaishida

Well, he signed Lateef Elford Alliyu, and that didn't work out at all.

We're a bit light up front, which is a concern, also Fortune is not exactly dependable; I'd have thought another striker would be high on TM's priority list, to be honest.

Specs WT-R75

stokes always had a decent game in him, but whwen he first came he had a tendency to let people double up on him and get round the back of him
so far this season ive seen that happen once, most improved player, wasnt there yesterday, but have to say, he was a rock at CB last week too, i would play him there for rest of season myself

we've let in 6 goals in last 9 games
have to say, TM has adjusted us slightly to accom no defense. actually thought we wouldnt see another hammering this season, then crewe happened

honestly cant say what will happen from here in, but its gonna be emotional
can we say , in reality, that we are the best team in the division? i havent seen one as good as us all year

Since day 1 I've thought Stokes is a really solid player. Anything more than that from defenders is a bonus... guy plays every game like he is trying to earn a new contract - if only every player had his work ethic. I also think he capable of some headed goals if he goes up for corners, but with Reda, Ricketts and Turner in the team of late he has been the one to stay back.

With Ricketts and Stokes clearly capable of playing in multiple positions, perhaps our defensive problems are not as bad as we had first feared - it means that rather than looking for a specific position we can look for any solid defender and slot them into the team as when needed. Obviously another defender in the Reda/Turner mould wouldn't go amiss but I would be equally happy with Matty Pennington coming back on loan for example.

Based on our losses this season, Walsall, Bury, Scunthorpe, Sheffail, the only team that I say fully deserved it was Walsall, and obviously all those games were away - with the exception of Walsall I can't see any of the other 3 beating us at home (their away form is ridiculous, but it could be a good time to play them if they go out of the cup on Saturday).

Notable mention to Peterborough who did give us a good half a game battering.

Covbaker96

I don't know how reliable this information is but i heard that before we signed stokes, he was verging on having to get a full time job and play football at the same time because he wasn't earning enough to pay his house + bills etc. So knowing that we gave him a chance to start his career again and become a full time footballer, he's forever grateful to this club and so he give 100% week in week out and is fully committed as ever.

stupot07

I don't know how reliable this information is but i heard that before we signed stokes, he was verging on having to get a full time job and play football at the same time because he wasn't earning enough to pay his house + bills etc. So knowing that we gave him a chance to start his career again and become a full time footballer, he's forever grateful to this club and so he give 100% week in week out and is fully committed as ever.

I'm sure they mentioned this on the radio on Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

A paragraph on Stokes in the book 'The Nowhere Men' a book out last year on scouts & guy at Millwall was looking for a LB and was sent to see Stokes at Forest Green but said he drifted inside too much for a LB and they didn't follow up their interest in him.

stupot07

A paragraph on Stokes in the book 'The Nowhere Men' a book out last year on scouts & guy at Millwall was looking for a LB and was sent to see Stokes at Forest Green but said he drifted inside too much for a LB and they didn't follow up their interest in him.

Is that book any good? The journey man sounds a good read too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Is that book any good? The journey man sounds a good read too.

Must admit didn't read anything other than that page as it was my dad who read it and said it was a very good read, will probably take a look myself next holiday whenever that will be!

Hobo

So many were turning their nose up at him because of the Forest Green. Perhaps a few of us older ones who remember Stuart Pearce came from Wealdstone were prepared to wait and see? He has been terrific for us so far this season. You can tell he is determined to take his second chance at being a pro footballer.

faraway

not quite full story, just something that stokesy said in interview.

faraway

you should have read on, the scout also said in time stokes would turn out to be a good centre half. when they would renew there interest. HA Ha. sorry Millwall too late.

Users who are viewing this thread