City fans won't follow the Sky Blues out of the Ricoh (1 Viewer)

Otis

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/coventry-city-fc/coventry-city-fc-news/2013/05/06/92746-33287856/

Coventry City supporters would vote with their feet if the Sky Blues quit the Ricoh Arena.
With no end in sight to the bitter rent row between the club and landlords ACL, City are investigating the possibility of a ground-share agreement to see them through next term.

But in an online poll conducted by the Coventry Telegraph, an overwhelming 93.6 per cent of fans confirmed that they would not buy a season ticket in those circumstances.

And that’s an alarming message for the club’s owners, who have been deprived of a major source of close-season revenue because they cannot offer tickets for sale until they know where they will be playing.

6.4 supporters...so every thousand supporters would mean only 64 would go to the game, so on a normal 10k gate we would only get 640 if we moved....BOLLOCKS, I hate polls they are misleading and tbh pointless.

James Smith

6.4 supporters...so every thousand supporters would mean only 64 would go to the game, so on a normal 10k gate we would only get 640 if we moved....BOLLOCKS, I hate polls they are misleading and tbh pointless.
I agree that figures far too high, 640 supporters indeed - or are we counting Tim and his dog as two supporters? :whistle:

Otis

It didn't say 'wouldn't go' said 'wouldn't buy a season ticket.'

SkyblueBazza

I guess they're just reporting their findings? Maybe they ought to point out (& maybe they do? I for one do not read te telegraph) that the sample size & the fact that it is Telegraph reading City fans...some of who actually may be Man U or whoever fans really so would never buy a season ticket anyway. Also, if the team played in say Walsall - they might even pick up new fans local to the alternative stadium to compensate for the loss, initially curiosity driving them there. The individual ticket brings in more revenue over the season anyway - season ticketing is just money up front/in the bank - which we all know that football as a business finds irresistible & spends almost before it has hit the balance sheet!

wingy

I guess they're just reporting their findings? Maybe they ought to point out (& maybe they do? I for one do not read te telegraph) that the sample size & the fact that it is Telegraph reading City fans...some of who actually may be Man U or whoever fans really so would never buy a season ticket anyway. Also, if the team played in say Walsall - they might even pick up new fans local to the alternative stadium to compensate for the loss, initially curiosity driving them there. The individual ticket brings in more revenue over the season anyway - season ticketing is just money up front/in the bank - which we all know that football as a business finds irresistible & spends almost before it has hit the balance sheet!

What, like all the WFC fans who don't travel with their team every other saturday could have saturation football.Or as they're in the same conurbation, maybe a few thousand disgruntled Wolverhampton Wanderers fans may change allegience in protest at the appalling way their club has been run in the Boardroom.:thinking about:

ajsccfc

I wouldn't go at all, ST or single games. No problem with people who would continue.

Waldorf

This is the result of a poll on the CT site, not a scientific opinion poll. All it tells you is that 93.6% of those who voted wouldn't buy a season ticket. Not existing holders, not a scientific sample of CCFC fans, just those who clicked a radio button on the Coventry Telegraph website.

covboy1987

This is the result of a poll on the CT site, not a scientific opinion poll. All it tells you is that 93.6% of those who voted wouldn't buy a season ticket. Not existing holders, not a scientific sample of CCFC fans, just those who clicked a radio button on the Coventry Telegraph website.

Poll is useful and from people i know is correct. Regular followers i know not only will not buy a season ticket but will not set foot out of the City to home games but may go to away games

Waldorf

Poll is useful and from people i know is correct. Regular followers i know not only will not buy a season ticket but will not set foot out of the City to home games but may go to away games

I'm sure you're right, and I'm not suggesting it isn't useful. Just that it's not a scientific study like the ones opinion pollsters do during elections. "From people I know" is pretty much my experience too, but I'm afraid it's just anecdotal evidence.

I wasn't suggesting a scientific survey would find much difference, though I suspect there might be a bigger percentage willing to go outside the city. It's pretty well established that those who oppose a certain thing are much more likely to vote in these kinds of polls.

SkyblueBazza

What, like all the WFC fans who don't travel with their team every other saturday could have saturation football.Or as they're in the same conurbation, maybe a few thousand disgruntled Wolverhampton Wanderers fans may change allegience in protest at the appalling way their club has been run in the Boardroom.:thinking about:

You appear convinced that its the Bescot then? And yes, some of the very same...or maybe there are already City fans over there that would go more often as its more local to them - its all pure speculation...& depending upon the quality of the survey in the Telegraph - I suspect that is pretty much all their results are too.

NorthernWisdom

Yup it is what it is. On the plus side they've fixed the ability to vote as many times as you want, I think.

Brighton Sky Blue

It's not rocket science for the club to contact every season ticket holder by e-mail, phone or otherwise, and ask the straightforward question. No need for a sample poll when the total sample size is relatively small anyway.

Bassman

I guess it's an indication of the strength of feeling, though in reality an exaggeration of the real numbers.

However, Coventry support within the City has always been pretty apathetic outside of the hardcore fans, of which I'm guessing there's about 7000. Lose a fair proportion of them, and your talking small numbers.

Incidentally, the MK Dons scenario also benefited from there being no team nearby, whereas a ground share with Walsall, Brum, Northampton, etc, is unlikely to bring us any new support.

I'd also add that everyone I know with season tickets in the Yorkshire Bank lounge cancelled their direct debits / standing orders the day after the last home game. Obviously corporate tickets are an important part of any football clubs income these days.

All in all I reckon you'll really get between 3000-5000 if the matches are held (relatively) locally.

And we're still left with the conundrum as to whether this is actually any of Tim Fisher's business, or whether it's down to Mr Appleton, which I guess we should get some clarity about in the next couple of weeks.

Ashdown1

League 1, evening game in Brum in December against someone like Stevenage..................2,500 tops, its a non starter !!

shy_tall_knight

Spoke to long standing ST holder yesterday, directed most of his anger at the BigRon reign where we threw money at a lot of average players Eioin Jess, Liam Daish etc and build up these considerable debts but not a particularly good team, no anti-sisu rant but will he got to home games outside Cov no chance, away games yes and if things contine might start watching non-league.

I think Stevenage at St Andrews mid week would be about 2,000 especially as we are likely to be struggling next season due to our income reduction.

honestken

if were not playing in coventry next season i will only be going to away games, as in proper away games.

The poll is misleading because it asked who would buy a season ticket if the scum took CCFC home games out of Coventry. I would say the poll on here is more realistic as a more specific question was asked. The missing 93.6% actually means we would drop from 6000 season ticket holders to 384, which is probably not far off.

Noggin

It doesn't mean that, you are misunderstanding it, it says 93% of fans said they wont buy a season ticket. I don't know what percentage of regular fans don't buy a season ticket anyway but Its probably about 70%. So it's more like 30% of people willing to buy a season ticket droping to 6 or 7%. That gives you crowds of about 2.5k city fans. Which is about what I'd have guessed is likely to be honest.

Its also not as simple as that as the percentage of people who go without a season ticket is likely to increase, so that gives you more like 3k instead.

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

It doesn't mean that, you are misunderstanding it, it says 93% of fans said they wont buy a season ticket. I don't know what percentage of regular fans don't buy a season ticket anyway but Its probably about 70%. So it's more like 30% of people willing to buy a season ticket droping to 6 or 7%. That gives you crowds of about 2.5k city fans. Which is about what I'd have guessed is likely to be honest.

Its also not as simple as that as the percentage of people who go without a season ticket is likely to increase, so that gives you more like 3k instead.

There were 6500 season ticket holders last season so by your calculations we should have had an average crowd of over 20000 not the 11/12000 we had

Nonleagueherewecome

The poll needs to be read as a general barometer of opinion, not as a scientific study to determine exactly how many people are going to buy a ST. Surely everyone can understand that? And it's a pretty emphatic result, as was the one on here last week, but not really a surprise, is it?

dongonzalos

It is also common sense that most fans would not follow Coventry if they are not in Coventry.

The poll is as expected a scientific poll would have similar results

Delboycov

The poll needs to be read as a general barometer of opinion, not as a scientific study to determine exactly how many people are going to buy a ST. Surely everyone can understand that? And it's a pretty emphatic result, as was the one on here last week, but not really a surprise, is it?

I think what it does do is send out a clear message to TF and SISU that the overwhelming feeling amongst fans is they will not back a move outside the city. Just hope they're listening and try and sort it with ACL short term to allow us to start the season or else be realistic with their demands for selling and walk away now and let someone else have a go.

Last edited:

@richh87

I think it shows that the overwhelming majority will no longer support SISU, and rightly so. For me whether we play in Coventry or not is a side issue - I want this club rid of them at all costs.

Last edited:
I think it shows that the overwhelming majority will no longer support SISU, and rightly so.

Even if they treat you like an Academy player and give you exclusive access so you can witness first hand how badly a football club can be run?! :eek:

Black6Osprey

I've been a ST holder for nearly 30 years and I won't go to a single home game that's played outside the City. Whether the poll is scientific or not it suggests people are at least understanding the significance of the club remaining in Coventry. Any other outcome would probably be the death of the club.

Brighton Sky Blue

I'd love to know what is considered a 'scientific' poll as it goes. Don't have many of them going in the lab.

Users who are viewing this thread