City to receive around £20,000 from EFL futures programme? (1 Viewer)

steve82

The EFL announced earlier in the season that the EFL futures programme would provided a £750,000 cash boost to clubs who introduced young English players into their starting line-ups for league matches during the 2016-17 campaign.

Luton Town today have revealed they have received £17,982 after manager Nathan Jones gave 82 league starts to players who were under the age of 21 and eligible for England.

Read more at: Luton receive financial boost from EFL Futures programme

We gave starts to....

JJ 11 starts
Stevenson 22 starts
DKE 13 starts
K Thomas 8 starts
Haynes 17 starts
Turnbull 12 starts
Willis 4 starts
Camwell 1 start

88 starts to players under the age of 21

My guess is we get around 20k for giving 88 starts to 8 players under 21.
Could of been over 25k if George Thomas and Cian Harries were entitled to qualify for the money.

** edit.....
if loans are allowed it's a extra 72 appearances so near £35,000 see post #5

Last edited:

steve82

Add that to the checkatrade money won and it's a healthy welcome boost

Covers the loss of near 60 season tickets in blocks 19,20,21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steve82

Stop the press!!!!

Interestingly the Luton article includes Alex Gilliead who started 10 games on loan from Newcastle.
If loans are included then....

Vernam 3 starts
Rawson 12 starts
Page 22 starts
Wright 7 starts
Sterry 16 starts
Agyei 12 starts

72 starts between these 6 loans and if Dan Agyei is still available for selection for England not Ghana.

That's possibly another £15k so near £35,000 coming to CCFC for 160 starts to players under 21

SlowerThanPlatt

Surely Willis made more than 4 starts? Wikipedia has him down for 36 appearances last season, more likely to be 24 or 34?

steve82

Surely Willis made more than 3 starts? Wikipedia has him down for 36 appearances last season

Turned 22 on the 24th August so that's why I think he only qualifies for 3 starts.
Same as Jordan Turnbull who turned 22 October 31st.

If it's allowed to the end of the season it's a very healthy return for both players.
Willis 36 and Turnbull 36 league starts each
A possible extra 56 starts

Esoterica

I think it's a pretty pitiful amount of money dedicated to this. The principle is great but considering the amounts of money in the game these days, the total reward for all EFL clubs is 2 and a half weeks of Wayne Rooney's salary. We'll get 20 to 35k and then lose our starlets on cheap tribunals. Much rather see something like a 10% cut of all transfer fees get taken by the EFL (instead of agents!) when a player under 23 is transferred from the EFL to PL and then that money get entirely re-invested in a scheme like this. Only needs 1 Ademola Lookman deal a year for the budget to be increased.

Great_Expectations

Turned 22 on the 24th August so that's why I think he only qualifies for 3 starts.
Same as Jordan Turnbull who turned 22 October 31st.

If it's allowed to the end of the season it's a very healthy return for both players.
Willis 36 and Turnbull 36 league starts each
A possible extra 56 starts

Turnbull is only 22?! Didn't realise that. Even less reason for fans to write him off.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
So there is an incentive to play young players

Doesn't seem to match up with cup competitions

Luton get encouraged to play them in the League but fined for doing so in the cup.

EFL: No 'mixed message' on youth players

I know there are competition rules etc but surely something like the EFL cup is perfect to play youngsters in especially when the competition includes playing U23 sides?

So Luton benefit on one hand by 18k and get fined £15k on the other

I think a lot of teams are starting to play more younger players in any case because to survive they can not afford heavy wage bills for senior players, CCFC included. It isn't really because of EFL schemes it is more a fact of life

Users who are viewing this thread