Cold Calls (1 Viewer)

RegTheDonk

Sick to death of them! Must have half a dozen every week, usually at tea time, trying to flog me a new boiler, solar panels, PPI claims, industrial health compensation, you name it ... usually in the legit guise of doing a survey before they hit you with the sales pitch.

I appreciate the guys on the other end of the phone are just trying to make a crust, but enough is enough. My landlines been registered with the TPS for ages which is supposed to help stop this kind of thing, but the hounds obviously take no notice or are in another country.

Anybody out there had any success, or tips, to stop these buggers calling as I'm starting to lose my cool. FFS, I was on the job the other day and had to answer in case it was important and that don't happen very often as it is! :censored:

Otis

Don't get them at all.

Registered with the telephone preference service and since then I haven't had a single call. Last one I had was over 5 years ago.

If anyone ever has rang I have politely said 'Can you excuse me just a moment,' and have then just gone off to watch a film on tv.

Skyblueloyal

Agree with Otis I did this around 18 months ago and I the same don't get any now. What I did before they stopped was ask if I had there number and they would say no they I say ok I will call you back and put it down or keep them on hold for ages. But they are a pain in the arse.

duffer

Here you go Reg:

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/index.html

Will work for most cold calls, though some dodgy types ignore it and some even set up abroad to avoid it. Should cut the calls right down though.

Edit: Oops, sorry Reg, just seen you're already with TPS. Might be worth reconfirming, or keeping a note of those phoning and raising a complaint perhaps. TPS has worked for me, and I've worked in the more legit end of the (financial) industry where I know we were obliged to screen our contact lists against TPS and customer opt-outs.

Last edited:

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I don't get any. I'm also on TPS. But do as the guys above say, when you get one, just say, "Oh, could you hang on while I get a pen?" and just leave them on the other end. They soon hang up!

lordsummerisle

A few years ago it was always people offering you a "free" kitchen or double glazing.

Used to always sound dead excited when offered that and then say:

"That would be absolutely brilliant, been trying to get the council to put them in for years. When could you come round?"

The phone would then go dead.

RegTheDonk

Thanks boys :cool:

I checked with the TPS (tx for the link duffer) as it seems most of you have had some luck there .... but it says they already have my number. Perhaps i'm just unlucky, or maybe the wife has put it in a comparison web site, daft bint.

But I'll give some of your other tips a go, keep 'em hanging on the line until they get fed up .... after all, to them, time is money.

skybluedan

I don't get any. I'm also on TPS. But do as the guys above say, when you get one, just say, "Oh, could you hang on while I get a pen?" and just leave them on the other end. They soon hang up!

Yeah I've done that, don't get really a lot here in jersey but if I do I sometimes will just say fuck off

J

Jack Griffin

Just had one asking about my accident, I told him I walked right in front of a lorry & it ran me over and killed me, that didn't deter the guy.

I asked him his name & where he was calling from, he said he was Tom Harris and was calling from 170 Garret Rd, SE London. I quickly looked at it on Google Street view and asked him if he could get me a Chicken Dinner from the Chicken Master across the road.

170gr10.jpg

Then he rang off, just as I was beginning to enjoy myself.

blitzer109

Like Reg I am registered with the TPS, but I took my number over a couple of years ago when I moved and whoever had the number before me must have put himself on every mailing list in the world as I get everything for the usual accident / ppi claims through to loft insulation which is the current favourite. If I didn't have to have the phone line for my broadband I would cancel it (no virgin fibre out here in the sticks). It has got to the point now where I don't bother answering the phone anymore as anyone who knows me rings my mobile if they want me.

mechaishida

Every time I start getting them regularly at the most inconvenient times possible, I switch to another Tesco mobile PAYG sim.

skybluejelly

I have not had a single one since the phone was cut off for not paying the bill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nick

Administrator
I kept one on the phone for an our once, then said "oh, your trying to sell me Windows, I've got some"

bringbackrattles

Just do what my mates mum used to do when she got a cold call as she would just tell them :" Go and fuck yourself !" Nobody messed with old Lil !

Mcbean

I never answer any calls with my name

Two things to say will stop the call immediately

This is a rented house

This is a business address

either will sort it

J

Jack Griffin

I never answer any calls with my name

Two things to say will stop the call immediately

This is a rented house

This is a business address

either will sort it

I never say who I am, I always ask the caller who they are *
*If I don't just tell them to fuck off that is.

Terry Gibson's perm

I normally say can you hang on a minute and then give the phone to one of the kids who has a lovely chat with them while you can hear them saying can you pass me back to your daddy.

I get a lot from Ben in the Microsoft office in India who says that I have a problem with my computer to which I use any of the following.

sorry don't own any computers
i will just go and fetch the computer and leave them chatting to the tv

My wife always says hello Nuneaton police station and then asks why they are ringing the police station.

Nick

Administrator
I like the computer ones, I like to double bluff them and tell them I use a mac, they get confused

Users who are viewing this thread