Coleman's Second Half Tatics... (1 Viewer)

covladzak

Way to defensive for my liking. We look alot better in the first half.:slap:

Malc51

Seemed to lose our way without Clingan...Easty just seemed to run around and run into trouble...thought they looked a bit tired in the second half onwards...two bad goals conceaded...but thought they fought hard through out the game.

Very pissed off about this...

We played really well in the first half- what a fantastic goal from Leon! But it all went pear-shaped...

Clingan's injury killed our momentum and also completely messed our tactical approach. As in every other City game I've seen at the Ricoh when we've been in the lead, you could see Pompey pushing and pushing, but City just couldn't arrest it...I wish we'd had Deegan and Baker to use as impact subs, alas, they would have made such a difference- Freddy's been on good form recently but he made some really random decisions tonight.

But, of course, it was the defence that let us down again- and it was the set pieces that were so well exploited by Pompey. Wright's own goal was a massive piece of miscommunication that shouldn't have been allowed to happen. As for their winner, their defender was completely unmarked...just heartbreaking.

All in all, I think we played the best overall over, what, 220 mins against a struggling Premiership team who are probably soon to be broken up anyway (the club itself might even be shut down in the near future) but:

1. In both games, we lost key players (first game: Kieren; second game: Sammy, then Leon)

2. Our defence was terrible at exactly the moments we needed them to be at their best- the set-pieces.

3. If only we could have used someone like Baker and Deegan to add some extra attacking pressure, then we mighta nicked a second goal- I appreciate Grandison is a tall guy, but to be of any use, you have to create the chances for him to head the ball in...and we didn't really do that in extra time.

Oh well, Ipswich is a new game, let's go there and stuff some prawn sandwiches in Roy Keane's rear end!

Oldfive

Never mind , im totally gutted , but the lads tried their hearts out and we never get any bloody luck . Bring on Ipswich , im not going to that game , but going to Swansea .

Nick

Administrator
In the first half we were flying, we were creating space and a lot of chances and we lost Clingan due to injury without another central midfielder on the bench to replace him.

We missed Bell out on the right and when Best came off we really missed him up front as we were hoof balling it up to a young lad who was playing out of position, we were never ever going to score again.

For the equaliser I am not sure about the schoolboy error, there was nobody near them at all so all it took was a shout from somebody and the ball would have been well away and we would have won the game and taken on Sunderland in a couple of weekends.

I hate the fact Coleman doesn't like making substitutions unless he has to, which is all well and good when were are in control of the game but surely we could have left Best on and put Eastwood up front and Cain on to give us some pace?

Oldfive

Dont know what the Grandison sub was all about , but i didnt know who was on the bench to be fair . Drowning my sorrows as we speak :(

IrishSkyBlue

Facebook User
There was me thinking we would make it to pens and westwood be the hero, what is it with our defence its pisses me off when i hear what happens. how many times have we gone in front and fucked it away, i hope we take our frustration out on ipswich and batter the shite out of them lol.

torchie

Was gutting wasn't it mate! Got home at about 1ish. Couldn't stop thinking that the game was there for us to win and how much I wnted to smash Michael Brown's face in!!!!!

Nick

Administrator
The thing is though, Brown made it look sly when the ref wasn't looking and wound Gunnar up which is probably what he is meant to do, it is what he is good at and it worked as when Clingan went off we didn't really have a centre mid! :(

simmouk

Administrator
I'm just completely gutted at the way in which we lost, totally undeserved! But totally Coventry City as usual, there's always a chance with City at 1-0 that the other team will get a goal and it bloody happened. I just can't believe they held on for that long and then two goals in the dying seconds of the game killed us off. Pompey did not deserve to win that game, so therefore I shall be supporting Sunderland in the next round!

Users who are viewing this thread