Competitions etc, Who's won anything good? (1 Viewer)

RegTheDonk

I phoned up the radio once and won a competition where the answer was something to do with Black Beauty. I can't remember even what the prize was. I was about 9

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Similar story. Think it was WM/BRMB, Phil Upton asking for people to phone in, randomly going to select somone to fly to Vegas for the Bruno fight (can't remember if it was the one he won, or when Tyson destroyed him). Wife nagging we had to do shopping so off we trudge. Come back and Phil Upton's on the anwserphone...was going to send you to Vegas but never mind, we'll draw someone else out of the hat. :mad:

stay_up_skyblues

Won 2 VIP Tickets to the British GP in 2003 and Met Michael Schumacher. Being 13 at the time that was unreal

Tell you what though that Free Radio cash register competition is definitely a fix. No way can they afford to throw hundreds of grands a week out every week.

Also the 'winners'

'Steve, you've just won 100 thousand pounds!!!'

Steves just like 'oh brilliant thanks thays great news thank you so much thats made my week cheers'

If any normal person won 100k they would be screaming profanities and promising to shag the radio host whilst crying tears of joy

They do something similar on Capital (the kids have it on in the car). It’s across all of their many stations and I think is a quid or two to enter. Just checked and they get 7.5m listeners each week so if say 10% enter they’re quids in even giving big prizes away.

stay_up_skyblues

My wife won VIP tickets to Megacon at the NEC a few months ago. Got express entry and to meet a celeb guest of our choice. I wanted to meet Danny John Jules but the kids chose the woman who voices Ash in the Pokémon series and was in the recent Ghostbusters sequel.

Lots of BO and virgins in there… really not my cup of tea. But our kids loved it, especially as the older two are currently massively into anime and Marvel.

covmark

Won family ticket to Winchester science museum on Wave 105.
Also when Euromillions first started the Jackpot was £110m, we got 3 numbers plus the 2 lucky stars. Me and the wife thought we were quids in. Had to be a couple of grand? Nah 76 fucking quid! Two more numbers and we'd have won 110 million ffs. I was fuming. The prize spread on that lottery is ridiculous.

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk

skybluetony176

Won family ticket to Winchester science museum on Wave 105.
Also when Euromillions first started the Jackpot was £110m, we got 3 numbers plus the 2 lucky stars. Me and the wife thought we were quids in. Had to be a couple of grand? Nah 76 fucking quid! Two more numbers and we'd have won 110 million ffs. I was fuming. The prize spread on that lottery is ridiculous.

I’ve come to the conclusion that I’ll never win the lottery jackpot (was unlikely anyway) as I have 2 members of my extended family who have won the jackpot. Both circa £6M although one was a syndicate with his best mate so they got about £3M each. For lightning to strike that close twice must reduce your chances.

I have won between £100-£200 pounds a few times but each time has been followed by bad luck such as the washing machine went up it so the winnings went straight on that. Had the same with the main TV in the house and the dishwasher, both went up it immediately after a decent win. Although I guess you could class that as good luck.

Bertola

I'm fairly lucky.

I won a giant England shirt (2002) Home shirt, from JJB when buying the shirt on launch day.
Last year I won the Sky Sports Football Fandom competition on twitter too.

ajsccfc

Good timing

qslcKYh.png

CJ_covblaze

I can think of a few City players down the years that must've won a competition.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I’ve come to the conclusion that I’ll never win the lottery jackpot (was unlikely anyway) as I have 2 members of my extended family who have won the jackpot. Both circa £6M although one was a syndicate with his best mate so they got about £3M each. For lightning to strike that close twice must reduce your chances.

I have won between £100-£200 pounds a few times but each time has been followed by bad luck such as the washing machine went up it so the winnings went straight on that. Had the same with the main TV in the house and the dishwasher, both went up it immediately after a decent win. Although I guess you could class that as good luck.
I've known three jackpot winners - a lady who lived a few streets away, girl at work's dad and mate's dad. Two were in syndicates so got more than half a mil. The lady won just over £1m.

I, on the other hand, win fuck all.

covmark

I don't know anyone that has won the jackpot. I shall expect a winning ticket in the future

Grendel

I've known three jackpot winners - a lady who lived a few streets away, girl at work's dad and mate's dad. Two were in syndicates so got more than half a mil. The lady won just over £1m.

I, on the other hand, win fuck all.

You’d give it away anyway surely

Sbarcher

My daughter-in-law went to the Latitude festival the year before lockdown and filled her email address in at some clothing stall.
They rang her a couple of weeks later and she had won a family holiday to Dubai with a load of new clothes for the family.

Me - I won 4 cassette games 30+ years ago from a pc magazine. Took ages to load them on a BBC computer!

Sky_Blue_Daz

Never won anything , me dad a few years ago in the space of a coupe of weeks won 8k and 4K on the Irish lotto .

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

You’d give it away anyway surely
If I won enough I'd use it to influence the political system away from this wealth obsessed, unfair society we have now. Better spread and fairness of taxation between individuals and companies as well as between rich and poor, and a move away from economic indicators and growth as a measure of success just for starters. Even if with my new found wealth it ended up costing me more in tax.

Long term it'd be a much more effective way of helping more people than measures that ultimately just allow the papering over of the huge cracks in our society and allow those taking the piss to carry on taking it.

wingy

I once won a line (bingo) at the Balsall Common British Legion club. Ages ago tho.
You've just triggered a memory ,same place .
When I was an apprentice my wage was £11 of which I paid 57P NI.
Out of the remaining £10-43 I gave my mum £6--00 .
Anyhow I won £10 out of the one arm bandit on a Thursday night , felt like a pools win at the time Lol .
Squandered it on some New gear on the Saturday .

Alkhen

Won a competition run by Midlands Bank to design a Minibus for my school (paint job on a transit) I got £50 in a new bank account, which through nothing but lazyness I still use today (now HSBC)

Came second in a PES 5 competition held in the now defunct Gamestation shop. Got a copy of the game and some Pes branded tat. The git that beat me got a Sony PSP and vouchers for games 🙁

When I was at Uni I'd win loads of BBC 5live phone in quizzes. Coming in late from the pub I'd often switch on the grave yard shows. Won fair few books CDs and games by being able to text on answers to more youth orientated questions when their audience was mostly OAPs. Shame that the BBC stoped quiz prizes

Last edited:

dutchman

Braun shaver, hairdryer, etc. 1st prize in the Daily Mirror "Pretty Woman" video competition.

I still use the hairdryer 30 years later.

Stopped doing competitions though after winning 600 tins of Diet Coke.

The entry form said "Win a tin of Diet Coke every day for a year".

It didn't mention they would all be delivered on the same day!

Last edited:

oscillatewildly

Braun shaver, hairdryer, etc. 1st prize in the Daily Mirror "Pretty Woman" video competition.

I still use the hairdryer 30 years later.

Stopped doing competitions though after winning 600 tins of Diet Coke.

The entry form said "Win a tin of Diet Coke every day for a year".

It didn't mention they would all be delivered on the same day!
Crikey, Dutch - A year for you must be longer than for the rest of us.

OffenhamSkyBlue

You never know Nick, it does happen.

Wife won a brand new car (Opel Manta) in a Rothmans Ciggies competiton. Unforunately, she'd sold it and spent the money by the time I started going out with her.
On fags, presumably!!
My dad had a 1972 metallic blue Opel Manta - absolutely gorgeous car! Like this one
1656591143971.png

OffenhamSkyBlue

In the 1970s not long after marvel comic had come out I entered a competition in it and won 3rd prize which was an airfix type kit for a lunar module, Apollo 11 I think .
More important, my name was in Marvel.
40 odd years later I wish I'd kept that particular issue.
Hate to tell you this, ADM, but that was 50 odd years ago!
I built the Airfix model of "Eagle" (Apollo 11 lunar module) and it was my pride and joy, growing up during the space race. I rediscovered it just the other day when clearing out my late mum's house. Glue had deteriorated so i picked it up and it fell into its component parts! Added to the sadness of the day!

Users who are viewing this thread