Concerned now (2 Viewers)

Grendel

Well the Bristol City manager at the time said that Palmer made sacrifices to join them.

Which one can only assume means financially.

Though as you were apparently in the room during the negotiations I'm sure you can shed some light on what those sacrifices were.

Im still waiting for the evidence he is on £19k a week

Robinshio

Eccles is a 1st team player all day long - He is never going to be one of our key 5 superstars, but he will be doing the running and work behind them If we still had Hamer in there we wouldnt even be discussing it , the issue this season has been the midfield not linking with the forwards

shmmeee

I wouldn’t be relying on Eccles or Torp, both might come good and are excellent stand ins, but we need better next to Sheaf or his replacement. Midfield has been really poor this season in terms of beating the press and ball retention

PVA

Eccles is a 1st team player all day long - He is never going to be one of our key 5 superstars, but he will be doing the running and work behind them If we still had Hamer in there we wouldnt even be discussing it , the issue this season has been the midfield not linking with the forwards

Yeah I can't believe people are suggesting he's not good enough and should be moved on.

It's more likely he leaves for a bigger club than is moved on for not being good enough.

skybluecam

Yeah of course, I’m just saying it’d be nice if the whole team (bar the defence obviously) had the ability to shoot accurately or chip in with assists. The midfield are literally just there for passes completed atm, they don’t really worry the keeper much, just a lot of faffing around the opposition’s box and losing of the ball.

Basically I think that if we want to aim for automatics or at least a solid play-off place then we need to have a better midfield, and although players like Kelly and Eccles are alright they rarely look like causing the opposition problems.
Torp is that player, you can see his ball striking is a level above the others.

Kelly is finished really, doesn’t have the legs to play in our system.

To be honest, it’s not really a necessity imo. Wright and Simms should get 30-40 between them. Sakamoto/EMC hopefully 5-10 each. Maybe 10 goals total from Palmer and the O’Hare replacement. That’s 60 ish goals there. Only need 10-20 from the rest of the team and that’s playoffs/autos level of goals.

messiahrobins

As you know I've been banging the Sheaf is staying drum for a while and that we will use Vik money

Thats not correct now. Sheaf has said he would like a crack at the premier league. Which we cannot blame him for of course

With his current value at its highest dont be surprised if we lose him

For me, if we do, that is too much of a rebuild again for the summer

Moore
Kelly
O'Hare
Bidwell
Godden
Sheaf
Allen

To replace, and then add more.
Feel very deflated hearing that to be honest
Losing Bidwell will be a disaster. Sheaf i can live with IF we got £10m plus for him as i do think that type of player is replaceable and i think if Gyokeres and Hamer are sold and we get the sell on fees, £20m plus if Robins is allowed to spend it should be enough to get us up and have another FA Cup run as we would have a deep squad.
I get the concern though about another rebuild as that likely means a slow start.

messiahrobins

The thing is, for our rebuild (and beyond) to be sustainable it makes perfect sense to cash in on Sheaf now. It's disappointing to lose him, but understandable from both sides perspective.

What boils my piss is Bidwell being thrown out, if true. Keeping JDS ahead of him is a retrograde step.

We are still in a better position first team wise, but I agree with you in that I think the turnover is going to be an issue. We are not 2/3 players away from autos, we are miles off.

I think we need to be prepared for a similar season next, and the worry being at that point the vultures will be in for simms, wright, mve and the heart of the team will be ripped out again.
Totally agree. Bidwell is a fantastic player. We need to keep him, but need far better competition for him as DaSilva is absolutely shite.
Sheaf should not be that hard to replace as holding midfielders are plentiful abroad, especially in the MLS where i think we have a scouting network. I love Sheaf and would name him Captain but if he wants to go and we get good money for him then its best for all concerned to let him go.

BlueSkiesForever

Torp is that player, you can see his ball striking is a level above the others.

Kelly is finished really, doesn’t have the legs to play in our system.

To be honest, it’s not really a necessity imo. Wright and Simms should get 30-40 between them. Sakamoto/EMC hopefully 5-10 each. Maybe 10 goals total from Palmer and the O’Hare replacement. That’s 60 ish goals there. Only need 10-20 from the rest of the team and that’s playoffs/autos level of goals.
Yeah I agree somewhat, it’s not down to the midfielders to get goals but I just find our midfield very lacklustre at times, there’s no quality vision or threat, just a load of passes in tight areas that rarely lead to quality chances. Eccles is a solid squad player and should be kept but I still can’t help but feel we shouldn’t be relying on him every week, we just need that extra bit of quality and I really can’t see him improving leaps and bounds.

Grendel

Bristol Post says that Palmer joining us saved Bristol City £1 million a year, which would be £19,200 a week

But it’s all just conjecture really - the numbers are all over the place

Well you have frequently claimed the wages were never that high anyway but hey ho

BlueSkiesForever

Kelly - end of career, Eccles at the front end of his. You do need at least one of these type of players in the team to break up play, hold the team together. It is why England will always have a Rice type to let Foden, Bellingham etc go do their stuff, and why you'll rarely/never see a Maddison, Bellingham, Foden, Grealish type midfield. It's always about getting the right mix. Whether Eccles will need upgrading at some point, perhaps - but he's at the very least a decent squad player.
Yeah Kelly needs to go now, we can and need to do a lot better than that if we’re ever to make it into the prem. I think there’s a lot of sentiment on this forum (not talking about you in particular) and if we genuinely want to be a ruthless team that win 3-0 or 4-0 fairy regularly then we need to remove the sentiment and improve the squad, personally I feel the midfield and perhaps defence needs an upgrade first.

DazzleTommyDazzle

Bristol Post says that Palmer joining us saved Bristol City £1 million a year, which would be £19,200 a week

But it’s all just conjecture really - the numbers are all over the place
If the saving was accurately quoted, his wages would be less than that as the saving would include employers' NI.

That would then make his weekly wage about £16,900.

messiahrobins

Yeah I agree somewhat, it’s not down to the midfielders to get goals but I just find our midfield very lacklustre at times, there’s no quality vision or threat, just a load of passes in tight areas that rarely lead to quality chances. Eccles is a solid squad player and should be kept but I still can’t help but feel we shouldn’t be relying on him every week, we just need that extra bit of quality and I really can’t see him improving leaps and bounds.
Eccles is a tremendous player, he is badly underrated. We are far better with him in the side and Sheaf plays much better with Eccles alongside him. A midfield trio of Torp Sheaf Eccles would be magnificent and i think would make us defensively much more solid. Our problem with a 4-2-3-1 is when we have a no10 in the side, when we dont have the ball the midfield gets overrun and i would have said if fit playing Allen with Sheaf and Eccles this season would have made us a better team than playing Palmer as Palmer is a luxury player who in all honesty we cannot really afford to play as we are not good enough in possession and are prone to turning the ball over too often.
Torp will be huge for us.

Mucca Mad Boys

Hes absolute type we need. Wages likely issue.
This is the one that I heard, doesn't fit the model, but exactly what we need. Bit like when we signed Matty James.

Agreed, with the loss of McFadz, Kelly, Godden and potentially Sheaf, we’ve lost our first 4 choice captains in one season. On top of that, if Allen and/or Bidwell could be on their way out. It’s another leader or two off the books in a young squad so we absolutely need some experience and leadership.

Browne is PNE’s skipper so even if he’s not made club captain, it’s a big personality to guide players through. If we’re signing 2 CBs, one of them will surely be a more experienced pro.

Viktor17

Bidwell been close to Player of season. But let's calm down, there are other left backs about and he is certainly not irreplaceable!!! Id like to keep him as back up ideally if we could get a MVE type left back.

JDS is funny one, clearly more of a left wing back and really struggles as a left back. Lets see what pre season does for him.

StrettoBoy

The press speculation is that Bournemouth and Brentford want to sign Ellis Simms.

We would doubtless get a good fee for him but it is depressing that it looks as if we are in for another major rebuild this summer.

JSL

Thats the way the model works. Buy cheap, develop the player, sell for a profit, reinvest and so on. If we had a larger fanbase, more ticket sales, more shirt sales, better sponsors then the need would reduce. Our wage bill has a ceiling based on income. Increase the income and the club can get more ambitious

ptr

Browne and Mowatt would be unreal. Not going to happen but they are two midfielders available on a free. Would sort midfield out.

Hincha

Bidwell been close to Player of season. But let's calm down, there are other left backs about and he is certainly not irreplaceable!!! Id like to keep him as back up ideally if we could get a MVE type left back.

JDS is funny one, clearly more of a left wing back and really struggles as a left back. Lets see what pre season does for him.

The Bidwell situation is similar to the Jack Grimmer one back in League One.

A fans favourite and solid player for the division being replaced as Robins wants somebody better on the ball to progress the team.

If we sign a LB as good as MvE we'll have all forgotten about Bidwell by September.

BlueSkiesForever

A fans favourite and solid player for the division being replaced as Robins wants somebody better on the ball to progress the team.

If we sign a LB as good as MvE we'll have all forgotten about Bidwell by September.

100% agree, we need to not get sentimental about certain players. They just play for us, they don’t live and breathe the life of the average Coventrian, we’re the ones that are passionate about the club, we’re the ones that give away our own money to support our club, not the players.

The likes of Bidwell have been great for us but if someone gives us a fair whack for him then absolutely he should go. Let’s get in another Van Ewijk for £3-5 mil and upgrade the squad. If we spend £15-£20 mil wisely this summer we can have a promotion worthy team, we just need to accept that we may have to break some eggs to make a promotion-omelette.

David O'Day

The press speculation is that Bournemouth and Brentford want to sign Ellis Simms.

We would doubtless get a good fee for him but it is depressing that it looks as if we are in for another major rebuild this summer.
That is bollocks as well

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Skybluekyle

As you know I've been banging the Sheaf is staying drum for a while and that we will use Vik money

Thats not correct now. Sheaf has said he would like a crack at the premier league. Which we cannot blame him for of course

With his current value at its highest dont be surprised if we lose him

For me, if we do, that is too much of a rebuild again for the summer

Moore
Kelly
O'Hare
Bidwell
Godden
Sheaf
Allen

To replace, and then add more.
Feel very deflated hearing that to be honest
I wouldn't listen to this "Saddlebrains" guy, I hear he tortures kittens and thinks Andrew Tate is innocent and is a "good guy"

skybluecam

100% agree, we need to not get sentimental about certain players. They just play for us, they don’t live and breathe the life of the average Coventrian, we’re the ones that are passionate about the club, we’re the ones that give away our own money to support our club, not the players.

The likes of Bidwell have been great for us but if someone gives us a fair whack for him then absolutely he should go. Let’s get in another Van Ewijk for £3-5 mil and upgrade the squad. If we spend £15-£20 mil wisely this summer we can have a promotion worthy team, we just need to accept that we may have to break some eggs to make a promotion-omelette.
What’s a fair whack in your view? We’d probably get 5-800k max for Bidwell.

Don’t see us spending 15-20m unless Sheaf leaves and Vik moves.

Sky Blue Harry H

Yeah Kelly needs to go now, we can and need to do a lot better than that if we’re ever to make it into the prem. I think there’s a lot of sentiment on this forum (not talking about you in particular) and if we genuinely want to be a ruthless team that win 3-0 or 4-0 fairy regularly then we need to remove the sentiment and improve the squad, personally I feel the midfield and perhaps defence needs an upgrade first.
It's a tough old league to win 3-0 and 4-0 fairly regularly. That said, we have scored 3 goals in 6 or 7 away fixtures(iirc) including Wembley. Somebody will correct me!

Users who are viewing this thread