Could a new team be formed? (1 Viewer)

shoesmith81

Question for you all.

Would you go to the Ricoh to watch a reformed Sky Blues? I know we would have to start right from the bottom but as a fan would you go? How many fans would you think would go?

What would stop Preston Haskell or the Chinese investors come in for the Ricoh and build it from the bottom up?

RFC

Only ever supported 'Bantams' & Sky Blues, WOULD DEFINITELY NOT SUPPORT ANY NEW TEAM.

mrbluesky87

I think we need to seriously consider this now and with fan ownership in there as well. The Swansea story should be an inspiration to us all. To be honest im not sure where the club would start but who cares as long as the football club is run correctly. We all know what our history is and although I suppose it would not be CCFC as we knew, it wouldnt prevent us from remembering where we came from and why we did it. We play at the Ricoh and still play in Sky Blue etc etc, so what if our legal name is AFC Coventry. SISU are (and I hate to use this word in such circumstances) a cancer to this club and by all accounts will not walk regardless of boycotting fans, administration, liquidation etc. Let them set up there new home in Northampton but lets make it clear to them that there is no way back.

Sky Blue Kid

Once CCFC move out of Coventry they are no longer Coventry City. End of! All the memories stay within the walls of Coventry, and will never move out. Coventry City AFC would get support, make no mistake about that.

Danceswithhorses

For me it would be the very last option, but with SISU not compromising in any way, maybe at least the threat of forming a new club to play at the ricoh, would bring them to their senses.
They would then risk losing the use of ricoh and the ccfc fanbase for ever, and be saddled with a squad of expensive players and feck all income.

Last edited:

mrbluesky87

FFS, everybody on here as only ever supported CCFC but how much more are fans willing to take. This is not the prefect scenario, it looks like it may be the only scenario if CCFC still move to Northampton and if thats how you really feel still support them at Sixfields. My loyalty lies in Coventry and if it does not have a football team, then we need to build one.

slyblue57

Pathetic! What wonderful loyal fans we have , go and support another team ffs , do nt think theres any other real fans would contemplate
such utter crap. CCFC , City til I die or in some cases till it gets tough .

mrbluesky87

Pathetic! What wonderful loyal fans we have , go and support another team ffs , do nt think theres any other real fans would contemplate

Blah, Blah, Blah, not sure if its escaped your notice but its looking likely that we dont have a team and if there was it will reside at Northampton. If your happy with that then I suppose you are right. The fact is alot of people are not and want a COVENTRY CITY fc

skybluelee

I strongly disagree. I feel any Coventry City fans supporting this Northampton Sky Blue Cobblers nonsense are the pathetic ones. May as well just bend over for Timmy every other week. Which there will be plenty of space to do on the near empty terraces.

NOPM.

slyblue57

You think its Ok to just change your team then lol.
Well im not going to Northampton but I ll keep going to the away games to
support CCFC you toddle along to who ever you wish to support.
If and unfortunately I mean if because of Sisu s crap CCFc come back to
Cov no need for you to return to support us.
PUSB oh that means Play Up Sky Blues

Covstu

well at what point does Coventry City FC cease to become that name, this is a similar scenario to Wimbledon now. Bascially i dont think we have a club to go to at present!!

stupot07

well at what point does Coventry City FC cease to become that name, this is a similar scenario to Wimbledon now. Bascially i dont think we have a club to go to at present!!

Similar, but at present the move isn't permanent and the club hasn't been refranchised. Sl

ccfcmustang

I just cannot see a return to the city, no council will grant planning permission for a stadium and they have no chance of CCC agreeing to one. I believe that the formation of a new team is the last resort and I would support this team if CCFC ceased to exist. Day by day though, this extraordinary queestion seems more and more like the only option

skybluegaz

I think it's a viable option. CCFC in it's current situation with very few home fans and almost no chance of success for the next few seasons is not really CCFC at all. ACL should take the lead in getting a new AFC Coventry formed to play at the Ricoh for the start of next season with the option of any future owner of CCFC (anyone but SISU) being able to come back and merge the clubs together. What is the highest league level that a new club can start playing in, could you get put straight into the Conference National or North/South or would you have to start lower than that?

Covkid1968#

Only ever supported 'Bantams' & Sky Blues, WOULD DEFINITELY NOT SUPPORT ANY NEW TEAM.

Hold on...that makes no sense at all. Surely this can just be considered a name change of the same club!!!! under a slightly new name. We are the club...as long as we, the fans consider it the Sky Blues then it is the Sky Blues. You need to take a reality check old lad!

Karl87

Hi guys, I've just joined the forum and thought where better to start than on an angry hot-potato topic like this?!

Personally I feel that SISU (in combination with previous ownership) have really tainted my view of CCFC and I am finding it nigh on impossible to contemplate supporting them without new ownership AND a return to Coventry. Even if the inexplicable happened and SISU kept us at the Ricoh Arena then I would take some convincing to go to any games (never say never, but I don't see how I could).

As it stands the CITY OF COVENTRY is more important to me than COVENTRY CITY. The reason I support CCFC is because it is the team that represents me, my city, my family and my friends - and it always has. As a teenager I lived within walking distance of Highfield Road and recently I worked at a school not far from the Ricoh. In these locations you could feel and see the genuine tangible effect the club had on the community; a sense of pride, shared interest and mutual joy/suffering (I'll let you guess which was more common). Business effects included overflowing pubs, fish and chip shops and newsagents. The school I worked at was filled with students who drew club emblems and slogans for art projects, would get in trouble for browsing CCFC websites like this instead of working and would bump into me at games.

When a club physically leaves these people, these locations and these businesses behind, it fails to represent them and in my opinion the bond is severed. Is this irreperable? I honestly don't know - as I said at this point I can only see myself continuing with CCFC under big changes which don't seem to be on the horizon.

As a result of the above, I would throw my support behind a new club which DOES represent me and DOES represent my city. Ultimately I don't care what level the football is played at, I just want to watch 11 men kicking a ball around a pitch in my hometown, taking on other towns and cities around the UK under the name Coventry. IDEALLY wearing Sky Blue, IDEALLY called Coventry City. It would hurt an awful lot and take some adjustment, but when push comes to shove I could sacrifice those last two points.

lordsummerisle

At least if supporting a new team starting right at the bottom, the chances of a shout of "You're fucking shit, I could have done better than that", actually being close to the truth, go up considerably.

ccfcmustang

I wonder what Fishface would say if a new team was formed, bought half the ricoh and sold 5000 season tickets for the 2014-15 season, in a week

Hi guys, I've just joined the forum and thought where better to start than on an angry hot-potato topic like this?!

Personally I feel that SISU (in combination with previous ownership) have really tainted my view of CCFC and I am finding it nigh on impossible to contemplate supporting them without new ownership AND a return to Coventry. Even if the inexplicable happened and SISU kept us at the Ricoh Arena then I would take some convincing to go to any games (never say never, but I don't see how I could).

As it stands the CITY OF COVENTRY is more important to me than COVENTRY CITY. The reason I support CCFC is because it is the team that represents me, my city, my family and my friends - and it always has. As a teenager I lived within walking distance of Highfield Road and recently I worked at a school not far from the Ricoh. In these locations you could feel and see the genuine tangible effect the club had on the community; a sense of pride, shared interest and mutual joy/suffering (I'll let you guess which was more common). Business effects included overflowing pubs, fish and chip shops and newsagents. The school I worked at was filled with students who drew club emblems and slogans for art projects, would get in trouble for browsing CCFC websites like this instead of working and would bump into me at games.

When a club physically leaves these people, these locations and these businesses behind, it fails to represent them and in my opinion the bond is severed. Is this irreperable? I honestly don't know - as I said at this point I can only see myself continuing with CCFC under big changes which don't seem to be on the horizon.

As a result of the above, I would throw my support behind a new club which DOES represent me and DOES represent my city. Ultimately I don't care what level the football is played at, I just want to watch 11 men kicking a ball around a pitch in my hometown, taking on other towns and cities around the UK under the name Coventry. IDEALLY wearing Sky Blue, IDEALLY called Coventry City. It would hurt an awful lot and take some adjustment, but when push comes to shove I could sacrifice those last two points.

Totally agree.

The problem is that SISU are the club but people see the club and SISU as two separate entities. If a chip shop that you knew and loved was suddenly taken over by an incompetent owner which completely ruined it, you would simply move to another chippy. The problem with football is that the emotional attachment is that much stronger that it is hard to let go - the club is ingrained within your person, and life without it is incomprehensible. The only way to beat these f**kers (SISU) is to either starve them out of CCFC, or move loyalty elsewhere. Option 1 has always been the ideal, but Option 2 is, sadly, starting to grow on me...

Spionkop

Karl87, a few of us have been talking about this. Us fans have to make a big decision. Depending on what the FL do (or don't do) today. If the Sixfield thing goes ahead we have to choose. The Northampton team won't be us.
If we form another Coventry City and play in say the Conference North (it is possible if we show evidence of very big support - at least 5,000) it will kill the Sixfields team off.
Us fans have the power to do this. We can claim our history, just like Wimbledon did.
I applaud your post.
Us fans have to make our minds up. The Sisu monster or OUR TEAM. These things can't be decided next April. I would imagine you would have to see Xmas as decision time.
It's horrible to have to think of this. But it is the long term future of our club at stake.
Sisu FC at Sixfields will flounder and we'll rise up the divisions again. Us fans have got to be together. A new team would be the true CCFC.

saltaire bantam

My favourite topic! :D

When fans say "I'll never support another club" it's just not true, you can fall out of love with a club like you can with a woman, they change, your club has and once it kicks of in Northampton then it's not the same one that you fell in love with. It's a right mess and totally different scenario to Wimbledon, Aldershot, Halifax & Darlo, they were gone, dead, so it was easier to let go and look forward.

But, you don't appear to have anything to look forward to with SISU, as a group, you are never going to pull together again. I don't agree with any merger, too much baggage and the club would never be Coventry City, that's you, the fans. Plus, A "new" Coventry City 1883 (whatever) would achieve success much quicker because I don't think an existing club has any chance of being parachuted higher.

As I mentioned in another post, this is what happened when Halifax Town AFC were liquidated in 2008 whilst in the conference premier. A new club was formed, FC Halifax Town, they were cute and kicked up a right rumpus saying how big they were and that they wanted to start again in the conference premier. They didn't get what they wanted, but with a piddling 1200 fans they were allowed to start just 3 divisions below, only 4 promotions to the Football League! They are now back where they went bust, little Halifax. This is a precedent, an established decision by the FL.

Personally, I think that with hefty ST sales Coventry would be allowed in a rung higher, one below Conference North/South but wouldn't be surprised if that level was where you started.

Last edited:

Frattonender

forgive me for chucking my two bob in, but starting a new club was an option that was given some real consideration down here at pompey. but the thought of losing all of the history, the league titles and fa cup history we have to start a scratch was just too painful to think about. Basically it's the only thing that gives us bragging rights of the near trophyless red and white lot down the road.

AFC Wimbledon did it though and their fans deserve a lot of respect for that. I personally would have hated to see a new Portsmouth FC and would hate to see a new Coventry FC starting again from the bottom.

I really hope your supporters can form a trust and make a takeover of the club. Me and many Pompey fans will be more than happy to lend our support to your cause.

Nonleagueherewecome

forgive me for chucking my two bob in, but starting a new club was an option that was given some real consideration down here at pompey. but the thought of losing all of the history, the league titles and fa cup history we have to start a scratch was just too painful to think about. Basically it's the only thing that gives us bragging rights of the near trophyless red and white lot down the road.

AFC Wimbledon did it though and their fans deserve a lot of respect for that. I personally would have hated to see a new Portsmouth FC and would hate to see a new Coventry FC starting again from the bottom.

I really hope your supporters can form a trust and make a takeover of the club. Me and many Pompey fans will be more than happy to lend our support to your cause.

Wimbledon have the FA Cup honour, not MK Dons. Nothing dies, it gets transferred. This abomination in Northampton is not CCFC and does not deserve the support of a single CCFC supporter.

Frattonender

Wimbledon have the FA Cup honour, not MK Dons. Nothing dies, it gets transferred. This abomination in Northampton is not CCFC and does not deserve the support of a single CCFC supporter.

well sure, on paper you would retain your honours, but you know as well as I do what rival football supporters can be like.

Nonleagueherewecome

well sure, on paper you would retain your honours, but you know as well as I do what rival football supporters can be like.

To me a new club would feel no different to the one I used to support before they were liquidated/moved to Northampton. There isn't one AFC Wimbledon fan who gets stick off rival fans for not being Wimbledon, is there? MK Dons, maybe..

Frattonender

There isn't one AFC Wimbledon fan who gets stick off rival fans for not being Wimbledon, is there? MK Dons, maybe..

But that's the same of any club in that they mainly get stick from their rival club isn't it, which is what I meant by "you know what RIVAL football supporters can be like".

I should have put "local rival" instead. apologies.

Users who are viewing this thread