Could a new team be formed? (1 Viewer)

skybluegaz

Of course we're in a slightly unusual situation that the current football club is still alive, albeit on life support, the only reason for us abandoning them is that they are playing 35 miles away. Quite how Sisu intend to keep them going with very few fans rolling through 'home' turnstiles I really don't know. I suspect Sisu would only bankroll them as long as they had hope of snatching the Ricoh on the cheap, so once a new AFC club starts playing there with most fans watching them rather than CCFC then presumably they would either opt to sell up or liquidate holdings. Either way, when that happens the owners of the new AFC would then be in the best position to buy them out, take ownership of the golden share and take back the name.

dadgad

In light of all the evidence - actions being louder than empty promises - we should face up to the fact that Ccfc are no more, they will never return to the city.
Ccfc - rip :(
We, the mourning fans, should get the club we want and the council should bend over backwards to facilitate this.
We can start over but we must unite behind a new transparency and ethos.

ccfcmustang

Does anyone see a return to Coventry? I certainly dont. To build in the city it would require the councils permission, that simply will not happen. Brandon is not feasible youd have to be a fool to believe that that site could be transformed into a football stadium. negotiating with Rugby council is an option but that means playing further away. If SISU had the funds to build a stadium they would of bought half the Ricoh outright. CCFC will never return to this city unless another club is formed. It kills me to say that but i believe it is the last available option

Bill Glazier

The new team could be called 'Coventry City 1883' or something similar. It would play at the Ricoh and would assume all the history and songs of the club stolen by Sisu. We could even open a museum at the Ricoh dedicated to the memory of Coventry City and the change would look pretty seamless. By the way, any name but AFC Coventry please - 'Association Football Club Coventry' is fine if your syntax is French, but senseless in English.

skybluetony176

the simularities between wimbledon and cov are unbelievable. both fa cup giant killers (although our final was far better). for years they ground shared while their own stadium stood empty. wimbledons owners at one time talked about buying wimbledon stadium which is next door to the old ground and has staged greyhounds, speedway and stock cars, same as brandon. their old ground is now a block of flats, much like highfield road. and most alarmingly the fans got screwed over by everyone who could have sorted it out did'nt whether that be owners, local concil or the fl, fa etc.

if the point came that ccfc were never coming home and ended up becoming mk skyblues or where ever else sisu take them then yes i would follow a new team at the ricoh any day of the week. except tuesdays, holby city is on;)

skybluegaz

ACL need to be the driving force behind creating AFC Coventry, with the intention of then selling the combined club and half share of the stadium to either a fans consortium or a decent business who we can trust, who can then buy the other half from the Higgs charity. Many blame the council almost as much as Sisu for what has happened. I'm not so sure, but it's in their best interests to get the ball rolling on forming AFC Coventry straight away. If for nothing else it will send out the right signals to Sisu that they will never get their grubby hands on the Arena.

skybluesam66

happy to spend some time helping to set something up - you would have no hope for this year
you would need to look at being to start off with a fan base of 1000+ to be the big fish in the small pond to get you those couple of quick promotions

I suggest this is not managed by the Trust however, as the march aside i think it needs a new breath of life
Im now free most Saturdays as i am sure a lot of you are

lets see how the dust settles over the next few days,and after that it is time now to plan for 2014/15 at the ricoh

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

Question for you all.

Would you go to the Ricoh to watch a reformed Sky Blues? I know we would have to start right from the bottom but as a fan would you go? How many fans would you think would go?

What would stop Preston Haskell or the Chinese investors come in for the Ricoh and build it from the bottom up?

Yes but not united or anything else just Coventry

Houdi

Maybe the first signings for our new team, could be members of the 'bomb squad', :claping hands: after all they are available are used to playing at the Ricoh.

Nonleagueherewecome

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

happy to spend some time helping to set something up - you would have no hope for this year
you would need to look at being to start off with a fan base of 1000+ to be the big fish in the small pond to get you those couple of quick promotions

I suggest this is not managed by the Trust however, as the march aside i think it needs a new breath of life
Im now free most Saturdays as i am sure a lot of you are

lets see how the dust settles over the next few days,and after that it is time now to plan for 2014/15 at the ricoh

Thank you Trust now fuck off:facepalm:

magpieexile

if the point came that ccfc were never coming home and ended up becoming mk skyblues or where ever else sisu take them then yes i would follow a new team at the ricoh any day of the week. except tuesdays, holby city is on;)

Hello folks, I've been having a read of all the various posts on here and I have a question. Many of you are talking of returning to the Ricoh either as CCFC or as phoenix club, but it seems from the outside that the Ricoh is the source of your problems. From what I can see (and I am no expert in this) it is not cost effective for the club with its current attendances to play in the ground because it doesn't make enough from it. So why would you want to return?

I see startling similarities between Coventry and Darlington. And the first thing the Darlington phoenix club did was get the hell out of the Darlington Arena. Locally to me we've seen Leigh Genesis bankrupted by their 20,000 seater stadium costing them £6,000 a game for stewarding with an average gate of 300.

Have I missed something along the way? Is it cost effective for the club to return to the Ricoh? If the club became a phoenix and started in the non-league would it not be better to ground share with the rugby club or someone like Bedworth until you could afford to return to the Ricoh or get a new ground (a la FC United & AFC Wimbledon)? I've probably got half a story so feel free to shoot me down!

stupot07

ACL need to be the driving force behind creating AFC Coventry, with the intention of then selling the combined club and half share of the stadium to either a fans consortium or a decent business who we can trust, who can then buy the other half from the Higgs charity. Many blame the council almost as much as Sisu for what has happened. I'm not so sure, but it's in their best interests to get the ball rolling on forming AFC Coventry straight away. If for nothing else it will send out the right signals to Sisu that they will never get their grubby hands on the Arena.

Viva la ACL FC

mark82

Only ever supported 'Bantams' & Sky Blues, WOULD DEFINITELY NOT SUPPORT ANY NEW TEAM.

By going into liquidation that team no longer exists anyway. Didn't the football league confirm they considered limited the club?

Karl87

I have been thinking about a new Coventry club for some time and my biggest worry is that it will struggle to unite the fans. If we look at the (somewhat different) AFC Wimbledon model, they were set up with gusto and quite a lot of momentum (national press coverage, ex-players and celebrities publicly backing them resulting in fundraising) which propelled them up the league. I worry that for us this has taken a much longer time and so our fans have gradually drifted over 12 years. I think we would find it harder to get the sort of momentum AFC Wimbledon did...but that's certainly no reason not to try!

I think a lot of things need to be in place for a new team to be seen as genuinely worthy of the fans' support. It's going to have to unify a lot of people, each with their own expectations of what it should be (what it should be called, what colour it should play in etc). I think it's important that a new club is set up in consultation with the fans to gauge their opinions and make sure it represents them, but ultimately people also need to be willing to compromise and get behind the new club whatever it's called (AFC, 1883, United etc), rather than complaining that it doesn't meet their expectations.

This is the reaction we have seen so far to Coventry United's formation, as people have been largely dismissive. I think this is justified, as they seem to have been rushed into existence, resulting in some sloppiness (the emblem and website are a little bit naff) and accusations of them being vultures. In my opinion they were set up too quickly, too soon. This could be fixed, but they will find it harder to gain support than a team launched with a fanfare and a strong, honest PR campaign.

Ultimately this is what it will need. If they can capture the support and endorsement of a variety of ex-players (Huckerby, Boetang, Clinton Morrison, Dietmar Bruck and others have all already publicly declared their disappointment/disgust at the situation), ex-managers (Sillett, Hill, Gould, etc), pundits and sports journalists (Richard Keys, Micky Quinn, Henry Winter, Geoff Thompson etc) and political figures (Ainsworth, Sinclair) then this would start the ball rolling. In order to get the support of these people it needs serious investors/directors (I don't mean stinking rich, just serious, dedicated and financially successful) with a serious structure and roadmap. Once that is in place and it captures the vocal support of said names, then combine it with flyering, posters, local radio ads, local newspaper features, promo videos, ticket offers, school visits etc would certainly start a snowball effect.

But before any of this happens, I personally can't make up my mind if it's time yet. I'm probably being idealistic in hoping *something* might happen to change our situation, but I'm intrigued to see what liquidation means and results in before a new team is formed. However I think in a few weeks/months, once the near-future is clearer, then if we are still unsatisfied (and we have every reason to believe we will), then plans for a new team need to start in earnest for a August 2014 entry into the pyramid.

For me the biggest question is who starts the ball rolling. Skybluegaz I hadn't thought of your suggestion of ACL before, I think it could be a good one, providing they appoint the right people AND the financial structure is in place to combat the sort of struggle Magpieexile mentioned

skybluegaz

Hello folks, I've been having a read of all the various posts on here and I have a question. Many of you are talking of returning to the Ricoh either as CCFC or as phoenix club, but it seems from the outside that the Ricoh is the source of your problems. From what I can see (and I am no expert in this) it is not cost effective for the club with its current attendances to play in the ground because it doesn't make enough from it. So why would you want to return?

I see startling similarities between Coventry and Darlington. And the first thing the Darlington phoenix club did was get the hell out of the Darlington Arena. Locally to me we've seen Leigh Genesis bankrupted by their 20,000 seater stadium costing them £6,000 a game for stewarding with an average gate of 300.

Have I missed something along the way? Is it cost effective for the club to return to the Ricoh? If the club became a phoenix and started in the non-league would it not be better to ground share with the rugby club or someone like Bedworth until you could afford to return to the Ricoh or get a new ground (a la FC United & AFC Wimbledon)? I've probably got half a story so feel free to shoot me down!

It's true that the Arena charged extortionate rents for too long, something which they've belatedly tried to fix recently, but the real issue is that there is rent charged at all. The best and most successful football clubs are ones which own their own stadiums, make money from all activities, concerts, food, etc. This is why I'd hope that any new club would be done as part of the Arena company ACL or certainly done in a way that the eventual aim is for ownership of the Arena to happen. The council owns the Arena, so it's in the best interests of the whole of the city of Coventry for the Arena to be in use, profitable, and for a successful football club to bring along bums on seats.

BurbageSkyBlues

It looks as though there is quite a groundswell of support for a new club. Clearly, it is too late to do anything for this season, but I wonder if moves are already underway, behind the scenes?

There seems to have been a clear decision made not to accept the CVA, without Sisu acceptance of the new rental agreement.(the offer, it has to be said, is more than reasonable.) Now, it appears, we are to have a ladies match at the Ricoh on the day of our first game at sixfields. So, is that testing the water, to see what level of support that may be out there? ACL has turned down over half a million pounds in settlement, so there must be something that they are planning as a next step?

Just thinking aloud - the club does not have to be liquidated, but, if it is, then many (myself included) will have mixed feelings that this represents the end of the current CCFC, as we know it, and therefore the Northampton based team has become an itinerant franchise club, with no fixed abode. Two things can happen, from this point......Sisu can persist with their publicised 'plan', or they see the reality of the lack of support, and have to change their approach to ACL and reconsider returning to the Ricoh. Between now and next spring, there will be ample opportunity for Sisu to make their choice. In the meantime, plans for CCFC 1883 ( or whatever) will be incubating, and a potential purchaser such as PH4 could be contributing to the success of the Arena and the new team, ready for takeoff at the start of the 2014 season.

Just my thoughts.......

BurbageSkyBlues

Just like to add, that my sentiments are with those posters above, who have said that they support CCFC because it is the football team that represents the place where I was born. Take the team out of the City, out of its home stadium, and liquidate the pitiful assets along the way, then it ceases to be that entity that gave the reasons for my support in the very first place.

When Appleton liquidates Ltd (if he chooses to do so), he effectively closes the book on the CCFC that won the FA cup, that won the division two title, the club that many have an affinity for. But what he also does, is give hope that the fans ( who effectively ARE the club) can reform their own identity and reclaim that title. Ask a Rangers fan if he believes they are the same club after liquidation. Technically, it's a new business with a similar name. But in spirit, it is the same club.

I see us as a kind of hybrid between Rangers and Wimbledon.

mark82

It looks as though there is quite a groundswell of support for a new club. Clearly, it is too late to do anything for this season, but I wonder if moves are already underway, behind the scenes?

There seems to have been a clear decision made not to accept the CVA, without Sisu acceptance of the new rental agreement.(the offer, it has to be said, is more than reasonable.) Now, it appears, we are to have a ladies match at the Ricoh on the day of our first game at sixfields. So, is that testing the water, to see what level of support that may be out there? ACL has turned down over half a million pounds in settlement, so there must be something that they are planning as a next step?

Just thinking aloud - the club does not have to be liquidated, but, if it is, then many (myself included) will have mixed feelings that this represents the end of the current CCFC, as we know it, and therefore the Northampton based team has become an itinerant franchise club, with no fixed abode. Two things can happen, from this point......Sisu can persist with their publicised 'plan', or they see the reality of the lack of support, and have to change their approach to ACL and reconsider returning to the Ricoh. Between now and next spring, there will be ample opportunity for Sisu to make their choice. In the meantime, plans for CCFC 1883 ( or whatever) will be incubating, and a potential purchaser such as PH4 could be contributing to the success of the Arena and the new team, ready for takeoff at the start of the 2014 season.

Just my thoughts.......

Personally think it should be 51% fan owned club 49% private investor, that way we could stop this ever happening again. Think we need to get things in place but no finalised as soon as possible. Let's not make any rash decisions though, take our time & do it right. Need to let this news settle and find out what it really means yet.

Nonleagueherewecome

Personally think it should be 51% fan owned club 49% private investor, that way we could stop this ever happening again. Think we need to get things in place but no finalised as soon as possible. Let's not make any rash decisions though, take our time & do it right. Need to let this news settle and find out what it really means yet.

Best make it 61%, just to allow for those twonks like TSB and RFC who will side with the owners regardless!

covcity4life

if we leave coventry permantly i can udnerstand fans changing teams

but to abandon ship because they step out of cov 1 day(possibly for 3 seasons) is crazy

not real fans. how can you just drop your love of a club?

Tad

Sorry to sound stupid, but what actually happened to CCFC? I'm hearing people say they're dead, yet still playing with -15 points. What?

Spionkop

In amongst the gloom on this horrible day there are people on here talking sense. We just don't realise the power us fans have working together.
I'm going to Crawley tomorrow but feel so mixed up about it all.
We may have to face up the fact that IF we kick off at Sixfields, that may be it, & we should prepare to take our club back.
I feel certain with proof of a big fanbase ready to get behind the club we will not be demoted quite as far as people fear.
Let's keep discussing it. One poster rightly pointed out we've got to wait a few days to see how things pan out. Who knows the FL might surprise us. & pigs might fly.
But we can't leave it too long.
Form a new CCFC, take back our history and the Sisu Cobblers will just wither & die. We are CCFC. Not some hedge fund.

Bongo Fox

Just signed up here to try and catch the latest on this shocking news.

I really hope you lot as fans can pull together and come out of this on top. From the outside a new team looks the best option but I don't think it is as simple as that due to the way you have CCFC Ltd /(Holdings)/Otium owning different parts of the club.

The one thing they don't own though is you lot (the fans) and you are the people that make CCFC. At times like this you lot all need to be pulling together if you want to get your team back and going in the direction you want it to go. I think you've done a good thing with <500 season tickets being sold as that is a nice metaphorical 2 fingers to SISU/Otium but now you just need the other 8k from last season and the countless number of other fans that don't or cannot go so often for whatever reason to get together and form a new team actually in Coventry to support that is their for the fans and not for some scumbags that probably already have too much money try and line their pockets with even more.

Just wanted to show a bit of support for you lot really as it is disgusting what is happening. I know we are meant to be rivals but I would much rather there be a CCFC of some sort to have a bit of banter with than none at all as this is nothing you lot as fans have brought on, but it is only you lot that are suffering and really feel for you.

No real LCFC fan or football fan in general would want this to actually happen to you lot so keep your chins up and I hope you pull through it and come out on top at the end. :)

skybluegaz

For those who aren't City fans asking why the club can still run after liquidation, it's basically because CCFC is made up of 2 separate companies and only 1 of them is being liquidated. It was basically done to enable Sisu to avoid paying debts to ACL but still keep control of the club.

saltaire bantam

I see startling similarities between Coventry and Darlington. And the first thing the Darlington phoenix club did was get the hell out of the Darlington Arena.

But the Darlington arena was as bonkers for Darlo as Feethams was perfect. Darlington are 20% the club Coventry are.

saltaire bantam

You are a cracking poster Karl, you have all been waiting too long and with respect, we wouldn't have put up with this for so long, I don't think the average fan realises what power he holds. Without the fans SISU have n.o.t.h.i.n.g.

IMO it's a linear history, you lose nothing, the club is the fans because everything else, players, staff, owners & stadiums, is transient.

I have been thinking about a new Coventry club for some time and my biggest worry is that it will struggle to unite the fans. If we look at the (somewhat different) AFC Wimbledon model, they were set up with gusto and quite a lot of momentum (national press coverage, ex-players and celebrities publicly backing them resulting in fundraising) which propelled them up the league. I worry that for us this has taken a much longer time and so our fans have gradually drifted over 12 years. I think we would find it harder to get the sort of momentum AFC Wimbledon did...but that's certainly no reason not to try!

I think a lot of things need to be in place for a new team to be seen as genuinely worthy of the fans' support. It's going to have to unify a lot of people, each with their own expectations of what it should be (what it should be called, what colour it should play in etc). I think it's important that a new club is set up in consultation with the fans to gauge their opinions and make sure it represents them, but ultimately people also need to be willing to compromise and get behind the new club whatever it's called (AFC, 1883, United etc), rather than complaining that it doesn't meet their expectations.

This is the reaction we have seen so far to Coventry United's formation, as people have been largely dismissive. I think this is justified, as they seem to have been rushed into existence, resulting in some sloppiness (the emblem and website are a little bit naff) and accusations of them being vultures. In my opinion they were set up too quickly, too soon. This could be fixed, but they will find it harder to gain support than a team launched with a fanfare and a strong, honest PR campaign.

Ultimately this is what it will need. If they can capture the support and endorsement of a variety of ex-players (Huckerby, Boetang, Clinton Morrison, Dietmar Bruck and others have all already publicly declared their disappointment/disgust at the situation), ex-managers (Sillett, Hill, Gould, etc), pundits and sports journalists (Richard Keys, Micky Quinn, Henry Winter, Geoff Thompson etc) and political figures (Ainsworth, Sinclair) then this would start the ball rolling. In order to get the support of these people it needs serious investors/directors (I don't mean stinking rich, just serious, dedicated and financially successful) with a serious structure and roadmap. Once that is in place and it captures the vocal support of said names, then combine it with flyering, posters, local radio ads, local newspaper features, promo videos, ticket offers, school visits etc would certainly start a snowball effect.

But before any of this happens, I personally can't make up my mind if it's time yet. I'm probably being idealistic in hoping *something* might happen to change our situation, but I'm intrigued to see what liquidation means and results in before a new team is formed. However I think in a few weeks/months, once the near-future is clearer, then if we are still unsatisfied (and we have every reason to believe we will), then plans for a new team need to start in earnest for a August 2014 entry into the pyramid.

For me the biggest question is who starts the ball rolling. Skybluegaz I hadn't thought of your suggestion of ACL before, I think it could be a good one, providing they appoint the right people AND the financial structure is in place to combat the sort of struggle Magpieexile mentioned

Users who are viewing this thread