Council Tax rise (1 Viewer)

Marty

5.3% rise, Bit excessive isn't it?

I bet the useless fuckers still won't empty my bins without me prompting them.

Grendel

Won’t go on bins, will go on social care like the rest of what’s left of council budgets.

You want to complain, start with the government who have decimated funding and only left this option.

Aren’t there any council funded projects that can be cancelled - or should never have been commissioned in the first place?

shmmeee

Aren’t there any council funded projects that can be cancelled - or should never have been commissioned in the first place?

What would you suggest? Most “council projects” are a result of a bid for specific funding that is tied to that project. You can’t just (for example) take cash given as a grant for regional development and spend it on bin collection.

Not Coventry, but have a crack at this and see how you do. Does a good job of getting the point across IMO (and is out of date) You Choose - Home

The other point is capital versus ongoing expenditure. If you buy land for example, it’s an asset in the future. But money spent on wiping grannies arses stays spent. So even if you cancelled all capital expenditure to make ends meet eventually you’ll end up with nothing left to sell/cancel and still not have a balanced budget. For a football analogy see CCFC the last ten years :p

Most councils (Labour and Tory, it’s not party politicial this) are having trouble meeting their legal requirements for stuff like social care and child protection, it’s not frivolous spending.

IMO this all began with Osbourne trying to be cute and make (often Labour) councils take the blame for austerity. Hammond has just kicked it into overdrive in the incompetent style this government does so well.

dancers lance

Won’t go on bins, will go on social care like the rest of what’s left of council budgets.

You want to complain, start with the government who have decimated funding and only left this option.
Although the Labour Council in Coventry has made some giant, money wasting, F**k Up's over the years, all councils are being hammered at local level under this Government. I was listening to an interesting programme today about what councils are having to do to raise funds, nearly all now have departments working on business opportunities in the private sector and not just in the local area, nationwide and even abroad in some cases.

no_loyalty

I thought it was going to be 4.9%? they have obviously gone over budget on that city of culture bid, and increased it further

rob9872

Whether through Council Tax or centally you do realise we still pay it I assume? There is no free magic pot of money for the government to share out. I'm sure this is overlooked when people compain about funding cuts although as usual those who take out are rarely the ones paying in.

NorthernWisdom

Whether through Council Tax or centally you do realise we still pay it I assume? There is no free magic pot of money for the government to share out. I'm sure this is overlooked when people compain about funding cuts although as usual those who take out are rarely the ones paying in.
What the government is doing is not keeping to what it said it would do, which was to let councils keep 100% of business rates. Even that wouldn't be enough, but it would be something.

It's an ideological attempt to crush public services, nowt to do with a magic money tree or otherwise. The government makes a choice what to do, and our current one decides to cut the supply of cash to local services, but allow local government to take the blame.

There'll also be plenty of people out of work if this continues to happen, not paying in...

Terry Gibson's perm

It’s 4.9% in nuneaton and would be less but for the scandalous increase from the police commissioner of 6.3% obviously the pension pot needs a good top up

Marty

Is that 'police' and ''crime commissioner' Or 'police and crime commissioner'?

In CV5, ours have the cheek to put it up 10.3% (£100 a month).

dancers lance

It’s 4.9% in nuneaton and would be less but for the scandalous increase from the police commissioner of 6.3% obviously the pension pot needs a good top up
Surely the government pays a considerable amount each year to the poor people who are forced to live in Nuneaton, not the other way round? ;)

fernandopartridge

I don't know about that. They found £1bn from somewhere for the DUP. They continue to find money to pay for their own pay rises (up 1.8% this year, double the average for other public sector workers). MPs wages have risen by nearly 18% since 2010. NHS Band 5 Nurse wages have risen 4.49% in the same period. It's a fucking scandal.

Sky Blue Pete

And in addition since the Pelka debacle I believe there has been a 400% increase in reports to social services. For every area of legal responsibilities the council has there is probably a similar rise in requirement and a cut of 49% in government funding since 2010. Again Grendel wtf do you expect them to do?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread