Cov city centre (1 Viewer)

San Francisco

Think the green building is due to go as part of the Uni Masterplan.

Fucking Britannia, like Sainsbury’s and Iceland just won’t fuck off though and there’s not a lot anyone can do.

Funny you mention Sainsbury's. Priory Place right next door was supposed to line up with the cathedral spire so you could see it through the Whittle Arches when you stand in front of the Transport Museum but doesn't because Sainsbury's refused to leave.

NorthernWisdom

Funny you mention Sainsbury's. Priory Place right next door was supposed to line up with the cathedral spire so you could see it through the Whittle Arches when you stand in front of the Transport Museum but doesn't because Sainsbury's refused to leave.
I don't understand why compulsory purchase wasn't a thing mind you?

(Where are the planning experts to go with accountancy and legal?)

RedSalmon

I heard that when all of that development was being sorted the council tried to get Sainsbury's to move another location in the City but they refused as they said that it was one of the most profitable shops they had in the country and it was down to it's location.

The council then threatened compulsory purchase to which Sainsbury's made it clear they would fight it all the way through the courts and their pockets were deeper than the councils. The council then backed off and it went ahead in its present form.

shmmeee

I heard that when all of that development was being sorted the council tried to get Sainsbury's to move another location in the City but they refused as they said that it was one of the most profitable shops they had in the country and it was down to it's location.

The council then threatened compulsory purchase to which Sainsbury's made it clear they would fight it all the way through the courts and their pockets were deeper than the councils. The council then backed off and it went ahead in its present form.

Pretty much.

clint van damme

The council bowing to the threat of legal action, that's a new one.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

It was really annoying because it felt like a compromise could surely have been reached.

Sainsbury's get a new building pretty much where the current one is, while allowing the plan to go ahead with the desired sightline. Could well have increased footfall further and aided Sainsbury's more.

On the other hand, council could have said they were moving/closing Pool Meadow, which I'm sure is part of the reason it does so much business.

That project had a lot of potential and has largely been a failure because of Sainsbury's refusal to move.

RedSalmon

It was really annoying because it felt like a compromise could surely have been reached.

Sainsbury's get a new building pretty much where the current one is, while allowing the plan to go ahead with the desired sightline. Could well have increased footfall further and aided Sainsbury's more.

On the other hand, council could have said they were moving/closing Pool Meadow, which I'm sure is part of the reason it does so much business.

That project had a lot of potential and has largely been a failure because of Sainsbury's refusal to move.

Maybe Sainsbury's felt they could not trust the council to keep their word and stick to any agreement reached so decided to dig their heels in.

Just a thought.

Nick

Administrator
Went to go get my daughter some trainers.

West orchards car park closes at 6.30 and all the shops closing about 6 ish.

Down the m69 to fosse park, more shops, free parking, open until 9.

Won't even bother with cov city centre again.

LastGarrison

Just saw that Chamelon is now closing down.

Remember when them and Eltex were the only place you could buy any designer clobber in Cov.

LastGarrison

Used to get my rockports from hannigans I think it was called? 😂
Great shout! Forgot about Hannigans!

Rockports though? You must have been minted!!

I always wanted a pair of the light brown ones growing up and finally managed to get a pair but they were the brown/green ones but they were someone's catalogue purchase which didn't quite make it to the rightful owner.

Nick

Administrator
Great shout! Forgot about Hannigans!

Rockports though? You must have been minted!!

I always wanted a pair of the light brown ones growing up and finally managed to get a pair but they were the brown/green ones but they were someone's catalogue purchase which didn't quite make it to the rightful owner.

Nah I made them last!!! Think I had them for about 2 school years and they were like new.

I want some again but can never find them.

For some reason light brown were the cool ones...

lordy_87

Sad for chameleon to go but last few times I've been in there the selection of clothes was poor. It's a fairly large unit they're in and about 50% of the stock was Hugo boss, which I like, but there was just no variety. The rest of the clobber in there was pretty chavvy and shite too.

Nick

Administrator
I noticed last time I was in town that Charlie Brown's was now punting purportedly designer gear

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Yeah I think it's that not quite good but sort of a name stuff. Like that stuff with psg badges and loads of badges all over stuff.

fernandopartridge

Sad for chameleon to go but last few times I've been in there the selection of clothes was poor. It's a fairly large unit they're in and about 50% of the stock was Hugo boss, which I like, but there was just no variety. The rest of the clobber in there was pretty chavvy and shite too.
Yeah I had a quick look on their website and it was like being transported back 15 years, the range is mediocre and you'll never beat Fraser Group or JD owned chains for selling that sort of stuff.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

nicksar

Just saw that Chamelon is now closing down.

Remember when them and Eltex were the only place you could buy any designer clobber in Cov.
Bloke I worked with at Rolls Royce many years ago owned Chameleon also owned Corks Wine Bar prior to that.
He may have sold it on (used to see him in the shop but haven't for the last couple of years).

Users who are viewing this thread