Cov Mayor? (1 Viewer)

AndyL

Got a leaflet through the door about the Cov Mayor vote at the weekend. Not sure where I stand yet, though given the state Cov is in these days I guess we should at least try something new to shake things up. Might even get someone who puts the city first for a change. Anyone else had the leaflet yet? Seems to be getting delivered with the usual election stuff from councillors- not surprised they are against (usually stick their stuff straight in the bin to be honest!) but the arguments against a Mayor seemed pretty weak. Thought I'd see what other people make of it...

stupot07

I can see the point of the mayor of London, where they strategically link the 30+ local councils, health authorities, police, fire service, etc, to ensure continuity, joint working etc. (7.8m population) but to have one for Coventry (300k pop) to oversee 1 local authority, police force, fire service and pct seems like a waste of resources.

I could understand it if they were doing regional mayors.

Hugh Jarse

Mayors get wheeled out for public events and photo ops, other than that they have no more or no less power than you and me. I know because someone I work with is currently mayor of their town. It's a huge honour ofr a town councellor to be elected mayor but it's more agg than it's worth. I suppose if you like to see your own face in the local rag regularly, you could get off on it but generally, I think the position is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

Users who are viewing this thread