Cov university (1 Viewer)

stupot07

Are building even more flats in Coventry. Parked in the car park opposite the cov sports center and there was a notice to say they're building student flats there now. Have they not already taken enough of the fucking city? (Please excuse my language)

Edit. Just found an article from Feb. And they are getting Belgrade plaza. Ridiculous

http://coventryobserver.co.uk/news/another-major-coventry-city-centre-car-park-set-students-use/

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

eastwoodsdustman

they're the only ones spending money in the city. I was told that a lot of the recent work to spruce up the city centre was funded by the university and not paid for by our glorious council, even though they want you to think its the council paying for the work.

skybluetony176

To be fair when I come into Coventry driving around the ring road with the exception of the motor museum if the building isn't something to do with the university it looks a shit hole.

The university I would argue is something to cherish as it's redeveloping the City centre .

Otis

Are building even more flats in Coventry. Parked in the car park opposite the cov sports center and there was a notice to say they're building student flats there now. Have they not already taken enough of the fucking city? (Please excuse my language)

Edit. Just found an article from Feb. And they are getting Belgrade plaza. Ridiculous

http://coventryobserver.co.uk/news/another-major-coventry-city-centre-car-park-set-students-use/

Posted this same thing a few months back, stu. I'm all for students in the city, but there's no need to go crazy and leave nothing for anything else.

Going bananas!

Opposite sports centre, old Allied Carpets building in Corporation Street, possibly the old Co-op store building, the old sorting office in Bishop Street, Belgrade Plaza.

It's overkill.

LastGarrison

You do know that there is more than one University in Coventry and that Warwick also takes up a large number of the student accommodation in Coventry city centre?

The majority of these building have also been derelict or need revamping so what is wrong with changing this into student accommodation? Surely this then releases up further, local housing for Coventry residents? People also don't realise that students are here all year around as Cov has 3 or 4 different intakes a year!

A lot of money is being invested in the City Centre by the Universities and the development all around Gosford Street Car Park by Bennys Chicken was all paid for by Cov Uni. The increase in students has also led to an increase in restaurants, bars etc. I was in that new bagel place down by the library the other day and it is really good, you then have numerous Middle Eastern restaurants, Chinese restaurants, Nigerian restaurants.

I got to places like Leeds, Nottingham, Manchester and these town centres are thriving and and Manchester and Leeds both have city centre campuses. I honestly don't get the uproar and indignation of more student accommodation being built in Coventry.

armybike

The sites have been void/vacant for some time and the attempts to develop some of the sites haven't come to fruition.

The land owners/developers have now decided to progress with student accommodation.

The applications fall within planning law/regulations and so have been approved.

I'd rather see new developments than empty buildings/spaces.

chiefdave

Warwick also takes up a large number of the student accommodation in Coventry city centre?
Correct however Warwick Uni student numbers have remained largely static allowing them to continue to house a large percentage of students in onsite halls of residence.

Coventry Uni's numbers have sky rocketed and their aim is for that to continue. They have very little of their own accommodation and are of course based in the city centre meaning their expansion has a much greater impact on housing in the wider community.

That these sites have been empty for so long is down to the failure of CCC to bring investment into the city. As much as there are claims that businesses like Wagamama come to Coventry because of the high student numbers we lag behind. There's many chains heavily frequented by students that don't have any outlets in the city centre. At the same time the student demographic harms any attempt to bring in higher end stores.

The only reason developers build so much student accommodation is because they are allowed to get away with cheap, poor quality builds. They then cram as many rooms in as possible with shared facilities giving them a much greater number of rooms to let than they could achieve building to the standard required by the residents of the city.

To be clear I think both Universities are great for the city but there needs to be a better plan moving forward than the current piecemeal approach that is allowing every site and building to become a university, or university affiliated, site.

chiefdave

The applications fall within planning law/regulations and so have been approved.
Interestingly the local council here in Portsmouth decided to take a stricter stance on enforcing planning laws with regard to student housing which has led to a huge slow down. When they started insisting buildings were to a higher standard, especially in areas like fire safety the developers wouldn't shoulder the additional cost and started abandoning projects.

Other cities have also rejected student accommodation planning applications purely on the basis of studentification.

armybike

Other cities have also rejected student accommodation planning applications purely on the basis of studentification.

Rejected purely on studentification? I'm not able to see how that's possible - do you have any examples? Would be intetested to have a read.

stupot07

The sites have been void/vacant for some time and the attempts to develop some of the sites haven't come to fruition.

The land owners/developers have now decided to progress with student accommodation.

I'd rather see new developments than empty buildings/spaces.
The car parks aren't. I was parked there today!

armybike

The car parks aren't. I was parked there today!

The intention is to retain car parking on the site - from memory I believe only around ten spaces would be lost.

stupot07

The intention is to retain car parking on the site - from memory I believe only around ten spaces would be lost.
Pretty sure it said on the notice that around half the car park will go. Still think its poor, I always park there, when I venture into town for meetings. Especially if they are handing them Belgrade plaza as well. They are pretty much the only 2 car parks you can get in during the week.

chiefdave

Belgrade Plaza will go from 1100 spaces to 350, Cox Street currently has 349, will be reduced to 144. 170 new spaces will be created in the development but there will be a need to provide parking for however many of the 1,000 students housed there bring cars.

armybike

Pretty sure it said on the notice that around half the car park will go. Still think its poor, I always park there, when I venture into town for meetings. Especially if they are handing them Belgrade plaza as well. They are pretty much the only 2 car parks you can get in during the week.

At Cox Street there are currently 319 spaces, which is being reduced to 144 under the ring road but the developers have indicated 170 spaces will be under the new complex, a total of 314, so 5 less than currently on the site.

Belgrave Plaza is underused, so being utilised by Cov Uni for their staff freeing up parking at other locations in the city.

stupot07

At Cox Street there are currently 319 spaces, which is being reduced to 144 under the ring road but the developers have indicated 170 spaces will be under the new complex, a total of 314, so 5 less than currently on the site.

Belgrave Plaza is underused, so being utilised by Cov Uni for their staff freeing up parking at other locations in the city.
But are those under the new complex for students living there for thr general public?

I agree Belgrade is underused.

armybike

But are those under the new complex for students living there for thr general public?

The general public will have access to them.

armybike

Correct however Warwick Uni student numbers have remained largely static allowing them to continue to house a large percentage of students in onsite halls of residence.

Coventry Uni's numbers have sky rocketed and their aim is for that to continue. They have very little of their own accommodation and are of course based in the city centre meaning their expansion has a much greater impact on housing in the wider community.

That these sites have been empty for so long is down to the failure of CCC to bring investment into the city. As much as there are claims that businesses like Wagamama come to Coventry because of the high student numbers we lag behind. There's many chains heavily frequented by students that don't have any outlets in the city centre. At the same time the student demographic harms any attempt to bring in higher end stores.

The only reason developers build so much student accommodation is because they are allowed to get away with cheap, poor quality builds. They then cram as many rooms in as possible with shared facilities giving them a much greater number of rooms to let than they could achieve building to the standard required by the residents of the city.

To be clear I think both Universities are great for the city but there needs to be a better plan moving forward than the current piecemeal approach that is allowing every site and building to become a university, or university affiliated, site.

"failure of CCC to bring investment into the city"

"because of the high student numbers we lag behind"

"the student demographic harms any attempt to bring in higher end stores"

"they are allowed to get away with cheap, poor quality builds."

"allowing every site and building to become a university, or university affiliated, site"

I'd be interested to see the basis of these comments.

Investment has been brought to the city (RDM Group, expansion of London Taxi company, Wasps, Fargo, numerous restaurants, JLR) but like other areas online shopping and retail parks have impacted on the usage of the city/town centre.

With regards higher end stores, the overall demographic of the city doesn't justify such companies making such a move at this stage (http://www.coventry.gov.uk/downloads/file/20712/headline_statistics_-_june_2016)

The comments about students causing us to lag behind? If that was the case surely all city's with universities would be in the same situation?

The fact is Coventry is a relatively small city and for some whatever the council do will be criticised.

Also, the comment about the build quality of these developments - have you been to any of these sites?

Coventry University are investigating in the city, helping create jobs, helping local businesses, developing spaces, bringing new facilities for all residents to use within the complexs.

Also, I've had a look online for details of student accommodation apps that have been rejected solely due to studentification as detailed in one of your posts but couldn't find anything - if you could point me in the right direction I'd like to have a read, as under the remits in place don't see how this would be possible.

skybluetony176

Most councils have failed to bring investment into town and city centre's for decades. There aren't too many places that you can go where the high street isn't full of a combination of empty, charity, pound and card shops. Big traditional chains like Woolworths and now BHS have disappeared and this is in large due to the universal damage the high street has received from internet shopping and out of town shopping. Rugby is a perfect example. The only way Rugby could attract shopping chains to Rugby was by allowing the redevelopment of Elliot's field. The town centre shopping centre is a dump. It needs knocking down and starting again but compared to the cost of redeveloping Elliot's fields this was never going to happen.

Captain Dart

Be interesting to see a map of town centre & environs showing all Cov Uni properties and student accommodation?

jimmyhillsfanclub

Its all going come crashing down in 10-15 years....if not sooner.....student flats, pods, off-plan selling.....its a property bubble within a bubble....

A drop in student numbers, a drop in property prices & the realisation that the yields do not stack up for the investors will create the perfect storm.....

armybike

Its all going come crashing down in 10-15 years....if not sooner.....student flats, pods, off-plan selling.....its a property bubble within a bubble....

A drop in student numbers, a drop in property prices & the realisation that the yields do not stack up for the investors will create the perfect storm.....

Drop in student numbers? What is the basis of suggesting this will happen?

Captain Dart

armybike

The fact that they are.....and the trend will continue.....

Sorry, I accept my original question didn't clarify this point, but I meant specifically Cov Uni.

Going against the national trend, numbers are increasingly year-on-year at CU.

jimmyhillsfanclub

Sorry, I accept my original question didn't clarify this point, but I meant specifically Cov Uni.

Going against the national trend, numbers are increasingly year-on-year at CU.

Fair enough.....I was talking from a nationwide perspective.....I don't know about specific Uni's....

skybluejelly

there is no way they are going to stop building student accommodation...£120 a week for basically what is a bedsit 44 week occupancy even though you are only normally there about 32 weeks .., universities cant believe there luck £9000 for 16 hours a week... i give it a few years and it will be like the banks and ppi ..(were you over charged for a piss poor degree,call us now )

Covkid1968#

Everyone relax....I work for Cov Uni and all the plans will leave the City Centre in a much better place.....Everything we touch is done well and it brings vibrancy to the City in some pretty run down places.......

Grendel

Most councils have failed to bring investment into town and city centre's for decades. There aren't too many places that you can go where the high street isn't full of a combination of empty, charity, pound and card shops. Big traditional chains like Woolworths and now BHS have disappeared and this is in large due to the universal damage the high street has received from internet shopping and out of town shopping. Rugby is a perfect example. The only way Rugby could attract shopping chains to Rugby was by allowing the redevelopment of Elliot's field. The town centre shopping centre is a dump. It needs knocking down and starting again but compared to the cost of redeveloping Elliot's fields this was never going to happen.
You've clearly not been to Nottingham or Leicester then - similar population size and the centres are jam packed - half of Coventry city centre would rival 1970 Stalingrad for misery and deprivation.

dancers lance

You've clearly not been to Nottingham or Leicester then - similar population size and the centres are jam packed - half of Coventry city centre would rival 1970 Stalingrad for misery and deprivation.
The Coventry city centre of today makes 1970's Stalingrad look positively vibrant.

Grendel

The Coventry city centre of today makes 1970's Stalingrad look positively vibrant.

The only city centre of a similar size that is an equal (actually it's worse) hell hole is Wolverhampton.

They, however, have a project with a £22 million investment to create a centre with 150 shops.

We spend £30 million on a paddling pool.

Users who are viewing this thread