Coventry City ground share with Coventry RFC at Butts Park Arena could be back on (3 Viewers)

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Just to give an indication on costs this old article from 2004 gives some information. Go to the Tables - regional stadium cost model.

http://www.building.co.uk/cost-model-football-stadiums/3036931.article

Have building costs increased since then? Will the BPA site present special problems for things like excavation costs etc?

I know they are saying start at 15000 capacity but if it is to be capable of expansion then a lot of the infra structure needs to be put in at the start to allow for the expansion. Also the fitting out is in addition to the 31m shown

How do they finance a build at BPA and how do the finance providers get their return?

lewys33

I don't see why everyone is against this? 15K stadium to start with and if it could go upwards then that would be fine. I have massive reservations about infrastructure but everyone seems to be moaning about the 15k bit ........

jimmyhillsfanclub

Just to give an indication on costs this old article from 2004 gives some information. Go to the Tables - regional stadium cost model.

Have building costs increased since then? Will the BPA site present special problems for things like excavation costs etc?

I know they are saying start at 15000 capacity but if it is to be capable of expansion then a lot of the infra structure needs to be put in at the start to allow for the expansion. Also the fitting out is in addition to the 31m shown

How do they finance a build at BPA and how do the finance providers get their return?

Come on now OSB58.....play the game.....don't come on here & spoil it introducing the harsh reality of our clubs owners actually having to provide a coherent plan + hard cash......let us dream until lunch-time at least......

clint van damme

I said months ago, if the ground was turned 90 degrees, and the main stand built back to the main road, a 25k ground would easily be converted.
don't think that it would fit without going into the park, that would need council approval. Wonder how that would go?

Let's be honest, SISU are going to have to help fund this so it's not going to happen anyway.

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

It is a story that he has agreed to sell it.

It is a long way away from a move being back on though which is how it is being spun.

There will be a lot more to this.
Sharpe wanted a deal with city Millerchip didn't Millrechip is now selling to Sharpe. It says the deal could be back on which it could. Why is it spin the person who was against it is now going so it's proper to say the deal could be back on.

Nick

Administrator
Sharpe wanted a deal with city Millerchip didn't Millrechip is now selling to Sharpe. It says the deal could be back on which it could. Why is it spin the person who was against it is now going so it's proper to say the deal could be back on.

The news would be that there is an agreement to sell the lease... (it hasn't been done yet has it?)

The headline is completely about CCFC, so yes it is spinning it that way.

The fact he was picking up the phone to the Telegraph straight after doing talks about it also makes you wonder why...

Sky Blue Dal

Headline:
Coventry City ground share with Coventry RFC at Butts Park Arena COULD be back on.
why does that word "COULD" not excite me. Hmm!!

Same ole same ole... CT mischief??

Captain Dart

I don't see why everyone is against this? 15K stadium to start with and if it could go upwards then that would be fine. I have massive reservations about infrastructure but everyone seems to be moaning about the 15k bit ........

15K and bad infrastructure would be a temporary solution.

Moving the club back near the town would require a proper site to be found and imagination and active cooperation from the council.

I find the idea SISU have negotiated a deal to move to the Butts highly unlikely, in fact less likely than sightings of flying pigs.

fernandopartridge

http://www.building.co.uk/cost-model-football-stadiums/3036931.article

I love the idea but can't see it happening, even if the money was there!

idm1975

The news would be that there is an agreement to sell the lease... (it hasn't been done yet has it?)

The headline is completely about CCFC, so yes it is spinning it that way.

The fact he was picking up the phone to the Telegraph straight after doing talks about it also makes you wonder why...
Do you not think it is more likely the telegraph phoned him for a comment?

oldfiver

still comes back to I will believe it when I see it, still not convinced anything suitable for both can be done on that site

One of the biggest problems I see for both CCFC & CRFC is the length of time it could take to get it done, neither club can afford long timescales and both could be gone before it starts....... let alone raising the £20m plus to pay for it (I would think that is the bare minimum required but I wouldn't be surprised at it being much more)

lot more twists and turns yet, will wait see but have no confidence of it ever happening

Based on what? All we have is a CT article so far and, unless you have been told something by Jim the Gateman you are no wiser than the next.

lewys33

15K and bad infrastructure would be a temporary solution.

Moving the club back near the town would require a proper site to be found and imagination and active cooperation from the council.

I find the idea SISU have negotiated a deal to move to the Butts highly unlikely, in fact less likely than sightings of flying pigs.

My actual opinion differs slightly. I think they would be close to a deal. A temporary deal yes - I think they will negotiate a temporary deal with CRFC in order to distress Wasps and still get the ricoh cheap.

Frankley

don't think that it would fit without going into the park, that would need council approval. Wonder how that would go?

Let's be honest, SISU are going to have to help fund this so it's not going to happen anyway.

I think you're right, there wouldn't be enough room for a main stand backing onto the main road. That's not to say there isn't enough room to build a stadium on that site though.

The site is larger than the Union Berlin Stadium site (German second division) and that has a 22,000 capacity. Just for fun, I've dropped the Union Berlin Stadium onto the Butts site, it fits if the administration offices are relocated.

upload_2016-9-21_10-37-59.png

Of course, loads of money would be needed to build a stadium like that.

OffenhamSkyBlue

When this was first mooted a few months back, didn't it come out that the Council had included a clause in the lease or a covenant on the deeds which prohibited any use by a professional football club?
I love the idea, but I am still deeply suspicious of the Council's desire to support the Ricoh no matter what the damage to CCFC.

lewys33

I think you're right, there wouldn't be enough room for a main stand backing onto the main road. That's not to say there isn't enough room to build a stadium on that site though.

The site is larger than the Union Berlin Stadium site (German second division) and that has a 22,000 capacity. Just for fun, I've dropped the Union Berlin Stadium onto the Butts site, it fits if the administration offices are relocated.

View attachment 5662

who needs an architect

fernandopartridge

The Union Berlin one looks great tbh:

IMG_20150920_132547.jpg

Frankley

who needs an architect

Anyone wanting to develop The Butts would - I did say it was a bit of fun.

Imagine what a decent architect might come up with though, under pitch parking and a tight pitch surrounded by steeply banked stands.

The problem is it will all cost too much.

covcity4life

would we own the ground? part own? or just rental?

could be good news though

for selfish reasons i would miss ricoh but needs must

Frankley

There a train line too .. how would that not get affected in any future expansion?

If someone was developing the site they could avoid the mainline and use the existing (unused) siding for a rapid transit system to ferry fans to the railway station... monorail anyone :hilarious:

Nick

Administrator
Could they not build a tunnel into the stadium so the train effectively goes through it? That would be good.

Expensive, but good!

lewys33

It's worth noting though that looking at pics it seems their ground has a lot of standing areas which would increase the capacity.

martcov

View attachment 5662

Does the 22000 in Union Berlin include standing?

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
would we own the ground? part own? or just rental?

could be good news though

for selfish reasons i would miss ricoh but needs must

as I understand it the thinking is that CCFC would be tenant taking all football related incomes, and having access/ability to putting on its own events etc on the BPA site

Frankley

Answered my question as I was asking it..

There is standing and that does boost the capacity.

I think Celtic are running a trial of railed seating (which is a way of operating safe standing that they have in Germany). Standing is already allowed in the third flight and if the Celtic trial is successful it may be that some standing may be allowed in the top two divisions.

Users who are viewing this thread