Match Thread Coventry City v Oxford United - FA CUP 3RD ROUND - 6th January 12:30 (1 Viewer)

Martin180

I can see the bigger picture. There were many players written off already but it looked quite clear to me that they would get there, and they have. Simms has got a little better, but he doesn't come into that category for me yet.

His contribution this season is poor, but he has time on his side. With our coaching team there's every chance he'll become a very good player. As it stands though I feel his improvement is being a bit overstated by some fans.
His contribution has been immense as regards to the style of play and system . His goals aren’t there yet but he’s far from poor

mmttww

Oh Villa, please please, come and pound us!!

amateur hubby GIF

Grendel

His contribution has been immense as regards to the style of play and system . His goals aren’t there yet but he’s far from poor

Come on - immense - seriously?

OldBedrocker

I wasn't slagging Simms off ffs 😂

Saying Godden is a more natural finisher is hardly an outrageous statements that way

I wasn't slagging Simms off ffs 😂

Saying Godden is a more natural finisher is hardly an outrageous statement
Apologies but it read that way. Playing totally different roles today. Same all season does the ugly shit really well to allow Tats, Wright and Ohare space

Blind-Faith

Just watching Wednesday Cardiff , Windass scored a 25 yard rocket into the bottom corner , to put his team 1-0 after about 70 seconds. Didn’t celebrate it or even seem particularly bothered, perhaps some players just don’t really give much of a hoot about the FA cup anymore? Just see it as a game they want over and done with asap?

shmmeee

What I will say is Godden could only do what he did because we were dominating the game, he’s in his element when you want someone in the box to put it away, but he couldn’t for example do what Simms did at Leeds and wouldn’t score because of that. He’s excellent making space and getting a shot off, but that needs the rest of the team to be playing in and around the area.

Hertsccfc

Apologies but it read that way. Playing totally different roles today. Same all season does the ugly shit really well to allow Tats, Wright and Ohare space
The problem is i don't think Simms does do this very much and this is the aspect of him that I find more disappointing than the lack of goal involvement. Godden 's movement off the ball is much better in my view. Usually he seems to lack aggression and movement.

Mucca Mad Boys

The problem is i don't think Simms does do this very much and this is the aspect of him that I find more disappointing than the lack of goal involvement. Godden 's movement off the ball is much better in my view. Usually he seems to lack aggression and movement.

Thankfully, MR would disagree with you.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Scoring a penalty must do as much for a forwards confidence as robbing a goal with cms to go over the line. He needs a goal from open play for a proper confidence boost. Doing well otherwise

With no Godden in the starting line up, it would have been decided before the game who would take a penalty if we got one, it seems Simms didn't volunteer to take it.

Reactions: KAB

Grendel

Playing against some of the best defences in the league - yes

today was Oxford and no he isn’t immense Martin he really isn’t

Martin180

today was Oxford and no he isn’t immense Martin he really isn’t
I know it was Oxford and I was referring to since our change of system . My view is that without his performances of late the players around him don’t get the goals they do . I know he is a number 9 and his goals scored have been generally disappointing but he continues to work hard and unselfishly for others and never seems to moan when things don’t go his way .
Your opinion will differ of course

Last edited:

Grendel

I know it was Oxford and I was referring to since our change of system . My view is that without his performances of late the players around him don’t get the goals they do . I know he is a number 9 and his goals scored have been generally disappointing but he continues to work hard and unselfishly for others and never seem a to moan when things don’t go his way .
Your opinion will differ of course

I would describe Gyokeres as immense - the fact you apply the term to simms is fascinating

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I just don't agree I'm afraid.

I'll accept he can do more off the ball than Godden in regards to holding it up, but I wouldn't go much further than that. Godden has been poor in recent times up until today (as much as I really like him), but that's really the only reason Simms is playing. Neither of them, in my view, are doing enough to warrant a starting position.

Like I said, Simms has shown some signs of improvement which is good, but not to the levels of say Wright and Sakamoto. If it wasn't for their contribution there would be a lot more focus on Simms, who I think gets a bit of an easier ride because of that, and the previous focus on Wright's transfer fee. I also don't buy the argument that 'he's occupying defenders so the others can thrive'. That to me seems a bit of a lazy statement and is the classic go to in order to defend a player who isn't really doing very well.

Simms is only young and needs plenty of time to develop, but using terminology like immense to describe him for me is completely the opposite of how I see it at the moment, and what I would expect from a player we have just signed for several million. If we want to hit the top I think we need some reinforcments in striker and central midfield, should there not be some further improvements in the not so distant future.

Users who are viewing this thread