Coventry/Nuneaton Connection? (1 Viewer)

RoboCCFC90

I must admit this is going to sound like a rant, but this does bring up a valid question.

Peterborough yesterday signed Alex Penny from Nuneaton, now admittedly I don't follow Nuneaton all that much and it has to be said my knowledge of the player it isn't overly spectacular, that said I had read in a newspaper (possibly the Sun??) that the player had gone off the V9 Academy trials earlier this month, along with about dozen other players from the National League..

It appears the player impressed to the point where Posh have signed the lad, on a three-year deal.

Nuneaton boss Tommy Wright when asked about the player said;

"Alex is a quality footballer and one that ticks all the boxes when it comes to the modern day player.

He is quick, he is athletic and he is someone who has so much to give. You can see straight away why so many clubs were looking at him.”

My question and overall concern is, why are players from local teams such as Nuneaton falling under our radar? Admittedly the scouting system at CCFC is not what it was , however we play Nuneaton every season (in friendlies), we send them players to develop (Kelly-Evans, Leahy, Burge, Charles-Cook and so on) and yet when they have a player who can step up to League football like Penny or Louis Moult, we seem to be nowhere?

Fair play to the player mind, Posh tend to have a record of un-earthing decent non-league talent, but if we are missing local, potentially talented players that are right under our noses it's very alarming, add to that I cannot see how we are benefitting from a connection with Nuneaton, other than being able to use a shoddy ground for one or two pre-season games a year.

Alex Penny: Peterborough United sign Nuneaton Town defender

Brylowes

Yep I agree entirely,
Regards the shoddy ground, that could be our home venue in the not to distant future :emoji_disappointed:

steve82

I must admit this is going to sound like a rant, but this does bring up a valid question.

Peterborough yesterday signed Alex Penny from Nuneaton, now admittedly I don't follow Nuneaton all that much and it has to be said my knowledge of the player it isn't overly spectacular, that said I had read in a newspaper (possibly the Sun??) that the player had gone off the V9 Academy trials earlier this month, along with about dozen other players from the National League..

It appears the player impressed to the point where Posh have signed the lad, on a three-year deal.

"Alex is a quality footballer and one that ticks all the boxes when it comes to the modern day player.

He is quick, he is athletic and he is someone who has so much to give. You can see straight away why so many clubs were looking at him.”

My question and overall concern is, why are players from local teams such as Nuneaton falling under our radar? Admittedly the scouting system at CCFC is not what it was , however we play Nuneaton every season (in friendlies), we send them players to develop (Kelly-Evans, Leahy, Burge, Charles-Cook and so on) and yet when they have a player who can step up to League football like Penny or Louis Moult, we seem to be nowhere?

Fair play to the player mind, Posh tend to have a record of un-earthing decent non-league talent, but if we are missing local, potentially talented players that are right under our noses it's very alarming, add to that I cannot see how we are benefitting from a connection with Nuneaton, other than being able to use a shoddy ground for one or two pre-season games a year.

Could not agree more, Nuneaton alone have developed a few players in the last few seasons that Peterborough have picked up.

Granted not all are in there first team but have appeared for the posh or had loan spells at other league clubs.

Sad to think how many local non league players who've slipped past our scouting system with Andre Gray the pick.

Samo

It's all about opinions, maybe Robins doesn't rate him?

fernandopartridge

We do have a relationship with Nuneaton, we use them to give our own youngsters experience.

We have a Category 2 academy, Peterborough do not.

RoboCCFC90

We do have a relationship with Nuneaton, we use them to give our own youngsters experience.

We have a Category 2 academy, Peterborough do not.

I'm aware of that, but what else do we benefit of it.

They benefit greater than us, by all accounts the lad who has gone to Posh is a decent centre back, which we are crying out for at present.

George1

I thought about emailing the club about Elliot Whitehouse and just say, go down, have a look at him, see what you think. He scored 19 scores from 30 odd games from midfield and ran the show week in week out, he moved to Lincoln City, and I wouldn't be surprised if they finish above us this season. I doubt the club would listen to any player suggestions.

Skyblueweeman

No offence, but why would a professional football club (despite what people think, we still are a pro club), listen to ordinary folk like us for players?

Collectively, we've been saying that Widdrington has done a good job since he's been here...I'm pretty sure he'd be aware of who we've got links with and what their squads are like.

We're not going to sign everyone that people think are good players and could do a job. People need to re-align expectations a little.

Users who are viewing this thread