Creative Protest Ideas (1 Viewer)

Karl87

(I started writing this as a response to CarpyCov84's post about pitch protests, but went off on a bit of a tangent so thought I better start a new thread)

The subject of pitch protests is being discussed more and more on here, and with good reason. However, I believe we need more interesting and creative protest ideas to capture people's imaginations.

Unfortunately there is almost no way of staging pitch protests without resulting in some kind of violence. Even if 90% of the crowd were peaceful and just dodged the security and sit down, you would always get a minority looking for a scrap. This minority would make a louder noise than the rest of us.

In a post-Hillsborough age every press and media organisation would be terrified of being seen to endorse this and they would either A) Tone down the reports, play it right down, force the story into short paragraphs and bite-size chunks, giving us a wide berth to steer clear of any trouble or B) Report what is happening, but with a strong anti-Coventry fans bias to make it absolutely clear that they don't encourage it.

In Stratford, the Royal Shakespeare Company went through a period where protestors would invade the stage in the build up to shows, in protest against the company's BP sponsorship:

http://www.stratford-herald.com/local-news/5578-protesters-invade-rsc-stage-again.html

These protests were interesting because the theatre world is not used to stage invasions and are not set up to deal with them in the same way as the football world. As a result the theatre allowed the protest to take place and continued their performance slightly later than normal. It succeeded in gaining attention and spreading their message because they did something unexpected and out of the box (and also creative - they performed their own skit).

The world of football is very different, IS used to pitch invasions and if so IS set up to deal with pitch invasions. Obviously a large enough number would be successful in overpowering security, as we see at the end of season celebrations around the country. However there is nothing new, nothing different and nothing creative about this as a form of protest. An uninterested newspaper reader would glance over headlines reporting a pitch invasion, roll their eyes and mutter "bloody hooligans" and carry on their day. BUT if you can capture their attention more imaginatively then you will surely capture their support at the same time.

I'm not a big eco-warrior and don't know much about ice drilling, but when Greenpeace scaled the Shard last month, I immediately read about it and then signed the petition. They had to do something big to get my attention, but once they did, they had it.

I'm still trying to work out what an effective, outside the box and imaginative protest would be, but I am convinced it needs something unique to it. Something like the ribbon idea, but with more bite (think Gail Porter being projected naked on the side of Parliament by FHM!) My thoughts so far are:

• A walking march from the Ricoh Arena to Sixfields - google maps estimates it would take roughly 13+ hours to walk a safe route (avoiding A-roads and Motorways). If we attempted this crazy feat and filmed it (the struggle, the people who inevitably fall by the wayside), we could show the world JUST HOW FAR the move is.
  • Only watching Coventry City Ladies - would make a statement not just about our club but about the state of professional male football in general
  • Different games at the Ricoh - this idea could run out of steam very quickly, but the Ricoh could continue to book alternative games for us to attend. Former players one week, Coventry Sphinx the next, successful local teams the next, local schools teams after this.
  • Standing with our backs to the pitch - probably an unpopular move because it would involve actually attending a game at Sixfields, but we could pack the stadium out and spend the whole game with our backs to the pitch. Might get a bit boring though!
  • Clever seating - tactically sitting in Sixfields in patterns to spell out "SOS" in the stands
Any other inventive ideas?

skybluesam66

(I started writing this as a response to CarpyCov84's post about pitch protests, but went off on a bit of a tangent so thought I better start a new thread)

The subject of pitch protests is being discussed more and more on here, and with good reason. However, I believe we need more interesting and creative protest ideas to capture people's imaginations.

Unfortunately there is almost no way of staging pitch protests without resulting in some kind of violence. Even if 90% of the crowd were peaceful and just dodged the security and sit down, you would always get a minority looking for a scrap. This minority would make a louder noise than the rest of us.

In a post-Hillsborough age every press and media organisation would be terrified of being seen to endorse this and they would either A) Tone down the reports, play it right down, force the story into short paragraphs and bite-size chunks, giving us a wide berth to steer clear of any trouble or B) Report what is happening, but with a strong anti-Coventry fans bias to make it absolutely clear that they don't encourage it.

In Stratford, the Royal Shakespeare Company went through a period where protestors would invade the stage in the build up to shows, in protest against the company's BP sponsorship:

http://www.stratford-herald.com/local-news/5578-protesters-invade-rsc-stage-again.html

These protests were interesting because the theatre world is not used to stage invasions and are not set up to deal with them in the same way as the football world. As a result the theatre allowed the protest to take place and continued their performance slightly later than normal. It succeeded in gaining attention and spreading their message because they did something unexpected and out of the box (and also creative - they performed their own skit).

The world of football is very different, IS used to pitch invasions and if so IS set up to deal with pitch invasions. Obviously a large enough number would be successful in overpowering security, as we see at the end of season celebrations around the country. However there is nothing new, nothing different and nothing creative about this as a form of protest. An uninterested newspaper reader would glance over headlines reporting a pitch invasion, roll their eyes and mutter "bloody hooligans" and carry on their day. BUT if you can capture their attention more imaginatively then you will surely capture their support at the same time.

I'm not a big eco-warrior and don't know much about ice drilling, but when Greenpeace scaled the Shard last month, I immediately read about it and then signed the petition. They had to do something big to get my attention, but once they did, they had it.

I'm still trying to work out what an effective, outside the box and imaginative protest would be, but I am convinced it needs something unique to it. Something like the ribbon idea, but with more bite (think Gail Porter being projected naked on the side of Parliament by FHM!) My thoughts so far are:

• A walking march from the Ricoh Arena to Sixfields - google maps estimates it would take roughly 13+ hours to walk a safe route (avoiding A-roads and Motorways). If we attempted this crazy feat and filmed it (the struggle, the people who inevitably fall by the wayside), we could show the world JUST HOW FAR the move is.
  • Only watching Coventry City Ladies - would make a statement not just about our club but about the state of professional male football in general
  • Different games at the Ricoh - this idea could run out of steam very quickly, but the Ricoh could continue to book alternative games for us to attend. Former players one week, Coventry Sphinx the next, successful local teams the next, local schools teams after this.
  • Standing with our backs to the pitch - probably an unpopular move because it would involve actually attending a game at Sixfields, but we could pack the stadium out and spend the whole game with our backs to the pitch. Might get a bit boring though!
  • Clever seating - tactically sitting in Sixfields in patterns to spell out "SOS" in the stands
Any other inventive ideas?

i like your tactical seating idea- would mean getting people in the game - but "fuck off sisu" for the sky game would be funny

Voice_of_Reason

I think all agreeing to attend a local team's game when SISU FC is playing at Sixfields, for example:- All protestors going to one selected out of Leamington, Nuneaton Town, Rugby Town, Coventry Sphinx, Bedworth on a rotation basis. Not only would it help that club's finances, we could watch football, and go there en mass. 5 - 6,000 going as a group would show SISU that we want local football.

Karl87

I think all agreeing to attend a local team's game when SISU FC is playing at Sixfields, for example:- All protestors going to one selected out of Leamington, Nuneaton Town, Rugby Town, Coventry Sphinx, Bedworth on a rotation basis. Not only would it help that club's finances, we could watch football, and go there en mass. 5 - 6,000 going as a group would show SISU that we want local football.

I like this idea - I think if we did that we should all have something which sets us apart from the rest of the crowd, to make it clear who our allegiances lie with and so nobody can be confused about their sudden spike in attendances. Our Sky Blue tops would be the obvious answer, or some other protest t shirt/banners. This way a national newspaper can just take one snap of a lower league crowd and it's obvious from the photo that the crowd is filled with sky blues fans

mrbluesky87

By a season ticket and 'support' the Team & the Club.

OMG:facepalm:. I dont know what you get paid for saying things like this but stop. If you want to go to Sixfields thats your choice, 99% of fans do not. Enoy the game on Sunday and I will enjoy my trip to my home ground to watch men playing football.

Nick

Administrator
It would need a proper flash mob. That would get headlines.

500 people in a train station acting normal with jackets etc on, all take off their jackets at the same time to have sisu out.

dadgad

Some 900 gallon tins of sky blue emulsion sprayed over Nothants from a low flying pterodactyl could be the subject of a low tech you tube cartoon

mrbluesky87

Take it one step further, what about someone from the trust organising a sit down protest on the pitch at the Ricoh for 3pm on Sunday, with ACL's full permission. I think that would grab more headlines and no laws would be broken. We need to keep this in the press and something like this might push a lot of press and tv crews to be present.

This might sound cheesy but we could spell out 'SISU out' or Keep Cov in Cov on the pitch like the halifax adverts:claping hands:

dadgad

This might sound cheesy but we could spell out 'SISU out' or Keep Cov in Cov on the pitch like the halifax adverts:claping hands:

If that were done with concrete piles about half a mile deep the FL would have t ask ACL if cobblers cud play in cov

swisstony

How about the players go on strike?
Yes we would lose points but think of the publicity and the embarrasment to the football league

BackRoomRummermill

In order be a success the protest has to escalate in an credible way.

What about all you people in Coventry just turning up to the RICOH on Sunday ? It will cost very little and a few thousand turning up for the 'ghost' game .

A Sunday afternoon out which could achieve much in my opinion.

It will show what they would have had .......... instead of a few at Six fields.

Nick

Administrator
Take it one step further, what about someone from the trust organising a sit down protest on the pitch at the Ricoh for 3pm on Sunday, with ACL's full permission. I think that would grab more headlines and no laws would be broken. We need to keep this in the press and something like this might push a lot of press and tv crews to be present with the game played over the loud speakers!

Black armbands to be worn at every away game with Keep Coventry In Coventry on them?

Would be hard to sit down with a game going on....

skybluetony176

i like this idea too, nice one.

Karl87

In order be a success the protest has to escalate in an credible way.

What about all you people in Coventry just turning up to the RICOH on Sunday ? It will cost very little and a few thousand turning up for the 'ghost' game .

A Sunday afternoon out which could achieve much in my opinion.

It will show what they would have had .......... instead of a few at Six fields.

I will definitely be at the Ricoh this Sunday. I've already got my girlfriend and family coming along as well and have started whipping up interest from friends. I think it will be a great image and powerful message. And I'm always happy to see Huckerby wearing Sky Blue, however old he is!

chiefdave

i like your tactical seating idea- would mean getting people in the game - but "fuck off sisu" for the sky game would be funny

This opposite the cameras with people wearing red shirts or something so it really stood out would be amazing! How many people would you need for that?

Karl87

This opposite the cameras with people wearing red shirts or something so it really stood out would be amazing! How many people would you need for that?

I think it might be too long - if you imagine the length of the words in most stadium seating it's normally quite short. Also, if it's too long it won't fit in one shot as the camera lenses won't be wide enough. That's why I suggested "SOS" as you could arrange people into 3 simple chunky letters. "SISU OUT" might work, but anything longer probably wouldn't.

CovKingChris

Facebook User
I wanted to propose the idea the other day of watching the Ladies team. But I was tired and couldn't be bothered to check if SISU owned them to.

Because like said, not only would it show protest against CCFCand make a statement against male football in general, but it'd show support for CCLFC and womens football in general.

n16e

Ok, what about watching the first two minutes a televised game, then walking out on mass...leaving behind a "message" in the stand......

Karl87

Ok, what about watching the first two minutes a televised game, then walking out on mass...leaving behind a "message" in the stand......

That's a really good idea. The downside would be that we end up giving them money (potentially a worthwhile sacrifice if it makes a loud enough message) and that we would have to take a large number in order to make it effective. It might also be demoralising for the players. Would be a damn good message though.

ohitsaidwalker king power

Small light aircraft... with a banner behind it.. flying above Six Fields on Sunday- sky blue smoke on..... with "Sent to Coventry SISU-Bring CCFC Home" or similar words?

Ripbuster

For Sunday.

-Black armbands
- White t-shirts with a giant letter, any from chosen S, I, O, U, T, supporters sit in CORRECT order of "SISU OUT"
- Replica Red cards to be thrown by everyone onto the pitch at the end of 90 minutes.
-SBT selling/handing out SKY BLUE RIBBON as well as the armbands.Ribbons to be tied wherever on the way out/home.

All old unwanted CCFC memorabilia and SISU out banners to be left behind after finish adorning seats or whatever.

Failing that the burning of the "Finnish" flag :eek: :D

Users who are viewing this thread