Crown Green Bowls (1 Viewer)

Just wondering if anyone here was into the above? I play in the Wednesday League and I may be younger than the majority of players there are guys younger than me. Anyone interested or play themselves?

rob9872

Never played. Been meaning to give it a go for ages but simply not got around to it yet. I could be the next Tony Allcock and not even know it :)

It's actually a good laugh. I played at Standard last night. It's a huge green and makes for a long evening. At least you get food and Beer afterwards. The sign of a great sport.:p

LastGarrison

Never played. Been meaning to give it a go for ages but simply not got around to it yet. I could be the next Tony Allcock and not even know it :)

Same as that.

We even went up the Memorial Park last month but it wasn't in use because of all the renovations.

Anyone know anywhere that you can just turn up, rent the bowls and have a game?

http://www.online-bowls.com/greens/greens.php?region=9

A list of Bowling greens in the region. As far as turning up and renting some woods, you may struggle. Best bet is to get to a carboot and buy some cheap (£20ish) and have a go. You'll always be able to flog them if you don't fancy keeping on with it. The memorial park isn't a very good green as it's communal. Try one of the clubs somewhere.

Marty

Same as that.

We even went up the Memorial Park last month but it wasn't in use because of all the renovations.

Anyone know anywhere that you can just turn up, rent the bowls and have a game?

Spencer Park near central six has a bowls green near the tennis courts, i would assume you could hire the bowls from the shop there.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I was invited to join my local Bowls club here on the island, but forgot to turn up! The annual membership is £75, plus you pay for a session. A bit expensive for me as I'm on a lousy pension!

£75 is crazy expensive. That's flat green though isn't it. The Suthernmost Crown Green in the country is Kenilworth. Flat Green doesn't appeal to me in the slightest.

I pay £35 per year and £2 per match.

Garri

Don't be worried about visiting your local green on a Tuesday/Wednesday or Friday night. There will be someone up there playing in a match and all the old folk that bowl are usually very helpful. Most teams are looking for players anyway and would be happy to introduce you to the game.

Users who are viewing this thread