Dabo (1 Viewer)

SBT

He’s a friendly guy who was popular in the dressing room and performed brilliantly for us in our L1 title season, and sometimes looked the part in the Championship too. He didn’t always play well, but when he did he did so with personality, and he certainly didn’t deserve to experience what he did in the Luton shootout, which I wouldn’t wish on many players tbh. Ultimately there will always be people who have, shall we say, a more basic mentality about the game who can’t separate that shootout from who he was as a player, but personally I wish him well.

Hiraeth

I personally will be really grateful to Dabo for his service, we haven't had all that many league winning teams to cherish over the years.

I wasn't around in 1967 but I did get to see Fankaty Dabo, our 19/20 Player of the Year and PFA Team of the Year member help drive our League One Champions season and for me it was a pleasure watching him home and away most weeks.

Given that we hadn't managed to finish in the top 5 of any league for over 40 years, I don't believe it was a given that we'd even be in the Championship now, let alone have got to the Championship Playoff Final had it not partly been for his efforts to get us to the Championship level in his first season and to subsequently help us to maintain our championship status and that for me will always define how I'll remember him.

Robins can be ruthless and I think it's good for the club that he is but I can still feel warmth for a guy like Fanky who I feel did a lot for the club.

Legia Sky Blue

It is about his level, until he proves otherwise. Was really poor for us for a long time.

Will go down as the player that missed to stop us going to the Premier League, and that is hard to take. Whilst I don't wish him unwell, I genuinely do not understand this love in. He's gone now, and it is for the best. Let's move on.

Not sure its a 'love in', but he does deserve to be shown some respect as a player who gave his all for us and undoubtedly at times played through injuries to the detriment of his long term career. The Dabo that played in our League 1 winning season and started in the Championship was far from poor. He more than played his part in the upward trajection of the club, and I will remember him fondly because of that, despite the brutal end to his career with us.

enigma

My youngest lad bumped into him at Banner Brook spa with his mates and had nothing but time for everyone of them. Best of luck Dabo.

Saddlebrains

Hope he does well but lets be honest he was shit for us for a long while. Not even the penalty miss that shouldnt define his time here, i just feel hes nowhere near championship level anymore

Kilclines curly mullet

I wish Dabo all the best and we will be fondly remembered for the league 1 championship season

Injuries have caught up with him though

If he can stay fit league 1 is his level, hopefully we can get some game time at FGR injury free and can bounce back

Amazing to think that some thought we should have kept him on the season.

johnwillomagic

If he stays fit he’ll be one of the best players in league two by a country mi
I think the fitness is the main thing he was training and around Charlton for quite a while but obviously did not do enough to convince them he was worth the risk sadly.

I think Dabo would definitely have desired to go to Charlton which is why he looks gutted at FGR - however at least he has a club he shoukd do very well if he stays fit at league two level and if that occurs expect him in league one next season good luck to him!

Travs

I'm sure it doesn't need saying, but blaming Dabo for us not going up is schoolboy stuff and certain people need to get a life and get over it.

We didn't make it because we weren't strong enough to beat Luton over 90/120mins, and if it goes to penalties then you accept its a complete lottery.

quinn1971

Ridiculous to blame him. If you are going to blame anyone,then it should be the likes of Bidwell and Mcfadzean who bottled stepping up and taking a pen.
Dont think fadz bottled it,id expect a few more players before my centre half who‘s probably never taken a penalty walked up,

Terry Gibson's perm

When we signed him I thought he was ok and then in one match he pushed it past the opposition and tore past him and I thought he is some player and then he probably crossed it into the stand, the end product just wasn’t there.

sylus

He was my favourite player during the League One season and seems a genuinely good guy, so wish him all the best. It’s gutting his career with us ended the way it did.
like many of us, but you know walking up to take a penalty after 5 successful ones had been taken, you have to be thinking, just hit the target, if the keeper saves it, so be it, but he balloons it, i am not blaming him as someone had to miss, but he is a league one/two player at best, wish him well though.

Users who are viewing this thread