david bell (1 Viewer)

Macca

Like many others I feel who are realising they now need to put themselves in the shop window given the off field problems.

Suddenly players shining all over the park

Pigeon

That was the best game I've seen him play in a city shirt was creative, took people on and didn't look scared. Hope this continues to the next game.

Jimthor

Never rated him but he was outstanding today. Long may it continue!

TheRoyalScam

Good to see the 'diamond' midfield work so well. Bell's naturally right-footed, but filled the centre-left-midfield role very well. Both goals were well taken, and although we rode our luck at times I felt we deserved the win. Hard to split Hussey, Clingan and Bell for my man of the match, but the team as a whole obviously enjoy passing the ball and ditching the 'hoof'. King had an excellent first half, but am I the only one slightly disappointed with Freddy? Lukas was a real handful when he came on. Onwards and upwards to safety! PUSB
:blue:

Nonleagueherewecome

He was superb against Swansea too, although he faded due to lack of match fitness. Today he was better. More to the point, it illustrated that he is a midfielder rather than a winger, and he started off in CM at Rushden. He's not that fast, but he has great distribution and touch. Not to mention a brain-the ball to Sheff for the goal being the best example, although one cross-field ball to Clarke was even better.

The key to the performances of him and McSheffrey is the formation and shape. Thorn knows they both lack a yard of pace and are not at their best in defensive roles. McSheffrey in the free role moving into the channels at will does, ( along with young, quick full-backs in Hussey & Clarke ) provide width, stretches the play, and gives our ballplayers moving targets. Hussey and McSheffrey in particular were a nightmare to pick up for their defence, constantly finding space, and I thought Clarke did the same until his knock. The way Keogh also attacked, it was like having 2 over-lapping right-backs in the first half!

Bell is also suddenly receiving the ball with play and movement in front of him-as is Sammy. They both made their names doing just that in passing, attacking teams. The 442 diamond is very difficult to defend against, and certainly more stretching than a 442 with long balls up to a target man! We outnumbered them in midfield, and the movement meant we always over-loaded their defence. King had a relatively quiet game and Freddy was looking lazy, yet we still threatened constantly. And Lukas tore them to shreds with the graft, power and mobility he added. Not to mention the Whelan-esque finish:p

Yes, it's just one game, but I entirely buy into this formation and style of play-one that gets the best out of players available, and uses their attributes to the maximum. One that attacks, and plays "pass-and-move" football. We'll lose plenty playing that attacking brand for sure, but boy is it more entertaining! I haven't enjoyed a game that much since Eric Black. 6-1 against Scunthorpe, anyone?!

Nick

Administrator
Bell was outstanding today. :) Some of the passes he was pulling off as well as the cheeky nutmegs were the best we have seen for a while.

tippex9

Typical, I've kept faith with him for a while but recently started to give up on him!! Lol. Every week against more high temp teams and he'll be valuable.

Is his contract up?

dilligaf

Typical, I've kept faith with him for a while but recently started to give up on him!! Lol. Every week against more high temp teams and he'll be valuable.

Is his contract up?

like macca posted its time to get in the shop window
and if your playing well your stock goes up
out of contract players have more options
in contract players know that they are at a selling club

Cobi Jones's Dreads

I don't think anyone has ever questioned Bell's ability just his attitude and the roles he has been asked to play have let him down!

rob9872

Tbf he was never going to look good under AB since he possesses no ariel ability and no pace and his workrate isn't great. He was good today and has thyat bit of quality needed hopefully he'll kick on now. In fact he must have played well becuas emy dad moans about him everytime and even he agreed that he did well today.

Great_Expectations

With him and Clingan dictating play and spreading passes right and left we will, and did today, look a completely different outfit. Always been a fan of his, even in his Rushden days, was growing disillustioned with his performances here, but today playing more central and not necessarily needing that yard of pace he looked excellent.

Users who are viewing this thread