Decent hotels in Cov city centre (1 Viewer)

OffenhamSkyBlue

Hi all
I am running an event at Warwick Uni in a few weeks' time and have been asked whether the hotels near Coventry station are any good? I don't live in Cov, so I'd appreciate some input from you knowledgable folks on where to stay and NOT to stay (i will put the Hyland and others bookable by the hour in the latter category). Maybe Kenilworth is an option (Holiday Inn Express?) as there is a direct bus link to the Uni.
Thanks in advance.

Saddlebrains

Cheers - i don't know if some of my visitors may be coming by train, so is that a bit far from the station??

10 Minute taxi, probably be about £10. There are others maybe a bit closer or cheaper but whenever I've had family down for weddings christenings all that jazz, The Jacobean has always been brilliant, no complaints from anyone.

Whereas you have The Village, The Hilton etc but they tend to just be a bit hit and miss

Fysnkysc

I like the ramada, not a far walk from train station, not expensive not cheap, food is meh like most hotel food in this country but easy to order to the door.

perks of ramada vs the others,
location, price, and comfort, they also have pretty good wifi.

Its about 5 mins in taxi to station or a ten min walk, depending on your speed and route

Sky_Blue_Daz

And The Jacobean do a great IPA Called longhorn

PurpleBin

Stayed in the Ramada a couple of times. Bit dated and rough round the edges. Quite liked the Telegraph, bit quirky.

LastGarrison

The Telegraph Hotel is the best hotel in the city so I’d recommend this to any clients although obviously it will be the most expensive.

I’ve also put people into the Premier Inn Belgrade Plaza which is a decent and cheaper option.

Grendel

If you fancy taking them to a leafy village setting the Coventry Hill Hotel is another option

napolimp

The Telegraph is a great hotel, but the Village is a solid option - especially if you sign up as a member and use the offers - and it has free access to the pool and gym facilities. It's also right next to Canley station, and walkable to Warwick Uni if you're adventurous (or short bus/taxi journey). Good base for the West of Coventry.

If you're looking for something basically in Uni of Warwick itself, try Feather Bed Cottage.

Grendel

The village is probably a good choice to be fair.

SBAndy

Depending on the number of attendees requiring accommodation, might be worth enquiring with the Radcliffe Conference Centre which is on campus at Warwick.

CJ_covblaze

Grendel

Only clicked on this thread to see if anyone had suggested that.

The phrase “has it really come to this” is most appropriate when you leave the Coventry cross at 5pm and head for the bar at the brittania in time for happy hour.

So I’ve been told

OffenhamSkyBlue

The Coventry Hill is the one out at Allesley, right? I'll take the recommendation of the Britannia in the same vein, shall I? Thanks @Grendel :)
Thanks to everyone who has suggested places. I've also suggested the Holiday Inn in Kenilworth as it's a reliable chain (albeit with a shit breakfast offering) and next to the 11 bus stop to campus.

Grendel

The Coventry Hill is the one out at Allesley, right? I'll take the recommendation of the Britannia in the same vein, shall I? Thanks @Grendel :)
Thanks to everyone who has suggested places. I've also suggested the Holiday Inn in Kenilworth as it's a reliable chain (albeit with a shit breakfast offering) and next to the 11 bus stop to campus.

The holiday in is alright. It’s pretty expensive for what it is . It used to also be a migrant place which was sealed off in Covid - it isn’t now - isn’t the village hotel on the bus route? I guess at least Kenilworth has facilities in the evening for food and drink

OffenhamSkyBlue

No better toilet reading that the Trip Advisor reviews of the Coventry Hill Hotel and Pontins Brean Sands. Comedy gold.
I made the mistake of going to Brean Sands (the beach NOT the Pontins) a few years back when they had some kind of Country & Western thing going on! The number of Confederate flags flying off people's caravans was a good correlation with the degree of inbreeding, i think. Absolutely horrific. Whole families (including 10 year olds) dressed as Amish - child abuse, surely!!

stay_up_skyblues

I made the mistake of going to Brean Sands (the beach NOT the Pontins) a few years back when they had some kind of Country & Western thing going on! The number of Confederate flags flying off people's caravans was a good correlation with the degree of inbreeding, i think. Absolutely horrific. Whole families (including 10 year olds) dressed as Amish - child abuse, surely!!

It’s no better outside of country and western festivals 🤣

mrfr

The Telegraph Hotel is the best hotel in the city so I’d recommend this to any clients although obviously it will be the most expensive.

I stayed there the last two times I was up. Lovely hotel, good bar, though the breakfast was a let down. Combe Abbey hotel is also decent though obviously a bit far from town if you’re not driving.

Grendel

The Coventry Hill when known as the Post House in the 80’s had a fascinating disco evening every Friday

Users who are viewing this thread