Defensive mistakes (1 Viewer)

Fergusons_Beard

Mogga called it Naive defending.

Haber was clearly onside for Crewe's second, with Willis ball watching.

Ricketts wasn't at his best yesterday either and didn't close their striker quicker enough.He just stood off and basically said 'Have a go mate'. Quality goal but avoidable.

That said I'd rather win and learn from our mistakes than what City usually do.

It just makes such a pleasant change to actually beat Crewe!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nick

Administrator
A couple of times we were too cocky at the back and I think Ricketts slipped a couple of times and managed to get the ball quickly.

Otis

Reda's game was a bit error riddled too. One terrible bit of ball control just outside our own area that gave them a chance to attack and also down the left flank deep in our own half when he was nearly dispossessed, when he should have just cleared the ball upfield or put it out for a throw.

kg82

Yeah, there were a few mistakes. But in the games before it's been so calm and solid it was bound to happen at some point. The positive... We still won. That wouldn't have happened at any point over the last, say, 5 years (apart from maybe under Robins). Heads would've dropped and that would be it. Those mistakes can be ironed out and we can get better!

covcity4life

reda was fine. 1 mistake will happen ffs.

but back to the OP yes willis mistake was criminal and needs to be looked into. i wouldnt mind seeing phillips at RB at some point as i think willis lost most headers last night too and thats sposes to be his big plus point for being rb

Ashdown

Mogga called it Naive defending.

Haber was clearly onside for Crewe's second, with Willis ball watching.

Ricketts wasn't at his best yesterday either and didn't close their striker quicker enough.He just stood off and basically said 'Have a go mate'. Quality goal but avoidable.

That said I'd rather win and learn from our mistakes than what City usually do.

It just makes such a pleasant change to actually beat Crewe!!!

Moan moan moan !! Looking at your username again pal I can see why you went down the uncouthed route, just to look like your avatar !!

In all seriousness their first goal could have been stopped by both defender and Keeper but to be fair it was a shit hot strike ! Their second was also avoidable as the back four went to sleep but they are still gelling and will work better as a unit in time. Still think we could have had about 8 last night though. Superb football at times and what a pleasure having about 4 players who can actually take people on !

kg82

reda was fine. 1 mistake will happen ffs.

but back to the OP yes willis mistake was criminal and needs to be looked into. i wouldnt mind seeing phillips at RB at some point as i think willis lost most headers last night too and thats sposes to be his big plus point for being rb

To be fair, most of our back line lost out in the air last night! Just think that Haber was a monster in the air! I thought Willis actually did alright apart from the one lapse. Got forward very well too with a few decent crosses in.

Silence_Is_The_Enemy

yeah there were errors and things to work on but fuck it we won its got to be better to learn from mistakes made in a win then a game we lost. their 2nd goal was a simple case of your most vulnerable just after you score because players were still celebrating. Ricketts deserves alot of credit when it slowed down and we tired he was the one driving forward making 30 40 yard runs with the ball, last defender we had do that was Keogh

Gint11

There will be mistakes and lapses in concentration. We highlight them, learn from them and keep winning!!

torchomatic

For the first time this season I was actually nervous when a team were attacking. Still, to learn you have to make mistakes. Football is a game of errors. I think Chris Stokes is improving with every game and thought he played well yesterday, although he looked shattered by the end. I still think Willis is the weak spot.

Ashdown

For the first time this season I was actually nervous when a team were attacking. Still, to learn you have to make mistakes. Football is a game of errors. I think Chris Stokes is improving with every game and thought he played well yesterday, although he looked shattered by the end. I still think Willis is the weak spot.

Yes agree, the lad looked uncomfortable at times. I guess Mowbray played him down to the height of about 4 of their players last night to give us some chance of combatting the aerial threat.

SkyBluePryce

I haven't been to a game yet (been travelling) so my opinion may be out, but its just a thought. Against teams like Crewe at home, who according to KC on the wall were very defence minded, should we play Phillips over willis? I rate willis, however Phillips is far more threatening going forward and will provide us another option in their half/third. He also chips in with a goal or two now and then.

rupert_bear

The more the game stayed level the more difficult it got for our defence to play their way out. Credit to Crewe manager he pushed up into the faces of Vincelot and Fleck cutting the passing options down and hitting long balls to the front was never going to work, so a learning kerb for all, but we won and could probably should have scored more goals, looked like being "one of those" Crewe at the Ricoh days, funny how they seem to thrive here.

SonofErnie

I think everyone is being a bit harsh on Willis. One thing my dad spotted for the first goal was that Lameiras had switched sides leaving Willis unprotected with a acres of space in front of him. Up until he was subbed, Lameiras had a tendency to go wandering in search of the ball and perhaps that's why Mowbray took him off. The 2nd was the whole team switching off after scoring.

covcity4life

willis was right next to the guy who scored 2nd dude. he didnt get ahead to it then stopped and watched him shoot.

SonofErnie

willis was right next to the guy who scored 2nd dude. he didnt get ahead to it then stopped and watched him shoot.
Yes, but he wasn't the only player culpable. It shouldn't have got to that point in the first place. He is still young and will hopefully learn from his mistakes.

Fergusons_Beard

I think everyone is being a bit harsh on Willis. One thing my dad spotted for the first goal was that Lameiras had switched sides leaving Willis unprotected with a acres of space in front of him. Up until he was subbed, Lameiras had a tendency to go wandering in search of the ball and perhaps that's why Mowbray took him off. The 2nd was the whole team switching off after scoring.

Actually there first goal was because Lameiras had swapped sides with J O'B and Jim went nick the ball in the centre (again Mogga alluded to this point after the game) leaving the wing he should have been covering.

Willis then had to push up and close down the space.Leaving Ricketts 1-1 with the Crewe scorer.

Fergusons_Beard

Moan moan moan !! Looking at your username again pal I can see why you went down the uncouthed route, just to look like your avatar !!

Yep-I'm just trying to emulate my hero!! Just wait till I start coming to matches in my 1970's admiral kit! Lol!

SonofErnie

Actually there first goal was because Lameiras had swapped sides with J O'B and Jim went nick the ball in the centre (again Mogga alluded to this point after the game) leaving the wing he should have been covering.

Willis then had to push up and close down the space.Leaving Ricketts 1-1 with the Crewe scorer.

Whatever the reason, Willis was left without cover so shouldn't get too much blame for it

shmmeee

Yeah first was the wingers fault for going missing. Second was all Willis. If he's kept the line their man would've been offside.

Thought our biggest weakness was the CBs overplaying the ball TBH. If I was an opposition manager watching that I'd be getting my forwards to press our defence. We've got nothing in the air and need to play out from the back and while we're getting the hang of that we are vulnerable.

Sky Blue Pete

Yeah first was the wingers fault for going missing. Second was all Willis. If he's kept the line their man would've been offside.

Thought our biggest weakness was the CBs overplaying the ball TBH. If I was an opposition manager watching that I'd be getting my forwards to press our defence. We've got nothing in the air and need to play out from the back and while we're getting the hang of that we are vulnerable.
Dangerous game though because if the opposition press it leaves room behind

Was so impressed with fleck vincelott Maddison lameiras and their ability to take the ball under pressure

Last edited:

covcity4life

yeah v true. we played so many balls into areas where last year they would never have been controlled.

now there is no shying away,everyone wants the ball in the tigtest of areas

this is amazing!

Hobo

Even the top teams get sloppy and give away silly goals. The important thing is we didn't lose our heads and won.

yes there are lessons to be learnt, there will be individual mistakes, it will be a long season, it is still early days.

But we do have the potential to hurt people and this group of players are showing they can listen and learn.

Otis

Even the top teams get sloppy and give away silly goals. The important thing is we didn't lose our heads and won.

yes there are lessons to be learnt, there will be individual mistakes, it will be a long season, it is still early days.

But we do have the potential to hurt people and this group of players are showing they can listen and learn.

The best thing is that we are scoring goals for fun. A couple of defensive errors are much less likely to hurt us this year you would have thought, because you are always confident we can go down the other end and get a goal straight back.

Users who are viewing this thread