Derek (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Anybody watching the new series? Gutted that Dougie wasn't in it much though :(

Derek%20setupB-079_A2.jpg

Si80

Yep. Loved the first series. Enjoyed the first episode of this one too.

So well written by Gervais.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Not a fan of Gervais so I haven't watched it. Plus I don't like the idea of creating what is to be, (Gervais hopes), a successful, money spinning programme based on people's disabilities. I worked in Cov Social Services as a Residential Social Worker with people such as he portrays and believe me, it is no laughing matter. Sorry to sound like a right "do-gooder" - I'm not normally - but this particular show just annoys me. (and before people say, "How do you know if you've never watched it?" I seen countless clips shown on TV to make my mind up). Rant over. :)

Otis

Love Ricky Gervais, but for me his characterisation here is such a stereotype it comes across to me like incredibly hammy, way over the top, amateurish acting from his behalf.Would say Ricky Gervais is far and away the worst thing in the show.

Not a fan of Gervais so I haven't watched it. Plus I don't like the idea of creating what is to be, (Gervais hopes), a successful, money spinning programme based on people's disabilities. I worked in Cov Social Services as a Residential Social Worker with people such as he portrays and believe me, it is no laughing matter. Sorry to sound like a right "do-gooder" - I'm not normally - but this particular show just annoys me. (and before people say, "How do you know if you've never watched it?" I seen countless clips shown on TV to make my mind up). Rant over. :)

Judging by the fact that you have ended the sentence I picked up for myself that your rant was over. No need for you to actually write that bit down.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Last 2 episodes were fantastic, the metal dog kev made and derek sticking up for kev.
Also the way they approached dereks dad dying.
Not sure how he does it but he always manages to make you empathise with his characters. Dont think he should do anymore, Karl Pilkington is a massive loss

Otis

Last 2 episodes were fantastic, the metal dog kev made and derek sticking up for kev.
Also the way they approached dereks dad dying.
Not sure how he does it but he always manages to make you empathise with his characters. Dont think he should do anymore, Karl Pilkington is a massive loss

I do usually empathise with his characters, Daz, David Brent, Andy Millman, but with Derek, he just seems to pull the face that spotty 12 year olds would pull if they wanted to take the piss out of a disabled person. For me it is just a gurning, silly pulled face, the likes one of the Chuckle Brothers would pull just for comedic effect.

The fact then that this is a disabled person he is portraying therefore doesn't sit at all comfortably for me. The Derek he portrays is a stereotyped disabled person of the exact sort that ignorant people take the piss out of.

Get the feeling if he had been a blind person he would have had him in very dark sunglassess with a white stick ambling round a room with his hand out to stop bumping into things.

Very poor characterisation for me and that's a shame, because I usually really like Ricky Gervais.

Otis

I love Derek, it has been a bit deep and meaningful the last couple though.

I'm sure I would too, Nick. IF I could get past the original premise of Gervais' portrayal of the disabled man.

Users who are viewing this thread