Designer clothes (1 Viewer)

Otis

How do people discourage their kids from wanting and having designer gear? Or are you all okay with it?

Really concerns me. My daughter is 12 and she is now wanting only an iPhone and only Adidas and Nike etc.

Given her the whole talk about paying a massive premium for the brand and that she should just be comfortable wearing what she likes and not be dragged into the whole designer thing.

Maybe people think differently, but on the whole I try and avoid designer stuff. It can get really silly and I recall a bloke I worked with a few years back who would only wear designer stuff and nowt else.

It can be like a domino effect. Because he had the Nike top and the Nike trainers he had to get the Nike baseball cap and then had to buy the Nike socks. The socks cost over £20. Who is even going to see his socks?

My daughter went out and bought an Adidas hoodie at the weekend. It is just a plain grey hoodie. Doesn't stand out at all, just very, very plain and uninspiring. Very plain and the sort of thing you could get from Primark for under a tenner and would be about £12 in Asda or Tesco's or Peacock's.

It has an Adidas logo on though and this has at least doubled the price.

I really don't want her to go down this route and feel it could be a slippery slope. I have told her don't just wear stuff because everyone else is wearing stuff. If you like a top in Primark then buy the top from Primark, it doesn't make you any less of a person.

Personally, the more expensive my clothes are the more guilty I feel about people suffering and dying of starvation in the world. I just think if I have that much spare money shouldn't I be helping other people rather than just be making myself look good.

Always said, even if I were to win the lottery I just couldn't buy a flash car, it just wouldn't feel right. Instead of buying a £60,000 car I would rather buy a £20,000 car and give the £40,000 to charity.

Anyway, getting away from the soapbox what do the rest of you do with your kids and do you restrict what they wear?

I won't buy my daughter any designer stuff in general, but when she gets birthday money that's what she spends it on.

I have just seen it before that with some people, once they start down the designer route they will then only wear designer clothes and wouldn't dream of Primark jeans with Nike trainers.

lifeskyblue

A difficult one Otos. We have 4 girls all grown up and a son 13 still at home. All the girls are different...2 don't go for any designer stuff (1 in any old sports style clothing, the other in decent but not logoed skirts and tops). The oldest has always spent too much on shoes...she makes Imelda markos seem bereft of footwear. She always takes care of what she wears but not designer labels. The last girl spends a lot on clothes but wouldn't be seen dead in a Nike or adidas set of clothing. More often she buys something in January and it stays in the bag for months. Our son just can't be bothered re clothes...he will wear whatever I or mum buys/puts out for him.
Like you we haven't bought labelled clothes (apart from footy kits and the odd trainers) for the kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

armybike

I think the period during which people are at secondary school can be the most difficult/challenging faced during their life.

The amount of changes that take place in that five years both physically and emotionally and also you're having to make choices and study for what could shape you're entire working life.

Plus throw into the mix that kids can be absolute little bastards to each other and happily trample over each other for status amongst their peers!

Unfortunately one of the main factors is fitting in and this can include the perception of needing the latest gear/mobile as yet another status factor and isn't help by the companies spending such vast amounts on promotion/advertising.

Some kids fear is that if they don't have the latest stuff they'll be ostracised from the group, but whilst in reality unlikely to happen, because the fear is there they all feel the need to fit it - so one person buy a designer item, then others see this and the cycle starts.

However, I digress from your question of how to deal with it.

For me, it's a case of setting your stall out and making it clear of what you are/aren't willing to by and where from and stick with it - no matter how much begging/pleading they try.

However, if they have, earn or are given money then for me it up to them how they spend it.

Otis

I think the period during which people are at secondary school can be the most difficult/challenging faced during their life.

The amount of changes that take place in that five years both physically and emotionally and also you're having to make choices and study for what could shape you're entire working life.

Plus throw into the mix that kids can be absolute little bastards to each other and happily trample over each other for status amongst their peers!

Unfortunately one of the main factors is fitting in and this can include the perception of needing the latest gear/mobile as yet another status factor and isn't help by the companies spending such vast amounts on promotion/advertising.

Some kids fear is that if they don't have the latest stuff they'll be ostracised from the group, but whilst in reality unlikely to happen, because the fear is there they all feel the need to fit it - so one person buy a designer item, then others see this and the cycle starts.

However, I digress from your question of how to deal with it.

For me, it's a case of setting your stall out and making it clear of what you are/aren't willing to by and where from and stick with it - no matter how much begging/pleading they try.

However, if they have, earn or are given money then for me it up to them how they spend it.
Yep, well that's where we are at. I won't buy any designer clothes for her, but when it comes to her own money I let her choose herself.

Just worried when she gets too much money, cos sometimes she does have.

SkyBlueScottie

Depends on the child, some are not secure in their own skin so don't want to bring attention to themselves so want to "fit in" also the bigger deal you make of it the bigger deal it becomes in their head. So it needs to be a compromise, eg I wont let my boy have a certain pair of trainers, due to the cost and because his feet are still growing. However he has a part time job and is saving for them, I have suggested he get a cheaper pair but it's money he has earned...To minimise the cost keep them away from the High Street, shop online, it's generally much cheaper.

skyblue1991

Never been one for designer clothes really, maybe shoes and a top at a push but even then I only have a couple.

I see so many people at work wear Ralf Lauren, Fred Perry, Hugo Boss shirts and I just think why? Mine were two for £15 from Tesco. At the end of the day you're there for 38 hours a week to earn money; who are you trying to impress?

In regards to above its a tough time at school and other pupils can be utter wankers. It's all about credibility and in reality no one gives a shit when you finish at 16 by which time I had a part time job so a lot more disposable income.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Otis

Never been one for designer clothes really, maybe shoes and a top at a push but even then I only have a couple.

I see so many people at work wear Ralf Lauren, Fred Perry, Hugo Boss shirts and I just think why? Mine were two for £15 from Tesco. At the end of the day you're there for 38 hours a week to earn money; who are you trying to impress?

In regards to above its a tough time at school and other pupils can be utter wankers. It's all about credibility and in reality no one gives a shit when you finish at 16 by which time I had a part time job so a lot more disposable income.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
We are down London a lot and some of the stuff in some of the shops is just plain ridiculous.

You can get a plain white shirt that is 100% cotton. What you can't get is a shirt that is 101% cotton, or 110% cotton. Then there is the quality of the stitching etc., but when you see a plain white shirt for £80 you just know something is wrong.

A lot of this designer stuff is no better than the high street shops, but stick a logo on it and the price can triple and more. You pay for the branding, not the clothing.

Never, ever felt the need to buy any designer stuff at all. Think I once had a Ben Sherman shirt and I have bought from Next, but that is hardly designer. Next stuff also tends not to have NEXT written all over it.

You can get a plain white Nike T-shirt, just plain white, nothing special about it at all, apart from the fact it has the logo on it. You then pay through the nose for it.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Morning fellas
It is a very difficult situation, we only have one child and let her pick and choose what she wants
Like most kids she has a phone and an iPad the phone is a safety thing to be honest I wanted her to have a cheap pay as you go type of phone but all her mates have iPhones or sansung so I didn't want her to be ridiculed by her mates ( kids can be nasty) however with regards to clothes she's as happy with something from primark then a designer brand
She got in a huff a while back because my wife and I both do nights but we tend to work our Rota so one of us is always at home
But I did some overtime and explained that we can afford to buy nice things for her because we work strange hours
Also she earns her pocket money by doing jobs round the house so she can buy what she likes

Otis

Morning fellas
It is a very difficult situation, we only have one child and let her pick and choose what she wants
Like most kids she has a phone and an iPad the phone is a safety thing to be honest I wanted her to have a cheap pay as you go type of phone but all her mates have iPhones or sansung so I didn't want her to be ridiculed by her mates ( kids can be nasty) however with regards to clothes she's as happy with something from primark then a designer brand
She got in a huff a while back because my wife and I both do nights but we tend to work our Rota so one of us is always at home
But I did some overtime and explained that we can afford to buy nice things for her because we work strange hours
Also she earns her pocket money by doing jobs round the house so she can buy what she likes
Cheers, Daz. Mine can earn money sometimes though and that makes it more difficult. Can't just put it all in a savings account as that wouldn't motivate her and she seeks some kind of reward for her efforts. I therefore let her have some of the money.

She has been happy with Primark, but getting a sense of wind change and there is a lot of peer pressure. All her friends have iPhones, she doesn't. Haven't let her have one for the very fear of the designer route.

Think you should buy clothes you like and not just clothes for the image of the brand.

Captain Dart

So this whole issue boils down to teen angst about not being cool*. o_O
* whatever the 'right' word is.

SBAndy

I'm a sucker for designer clothing, spend a fair amount on it. Always been like it. I do regret spending so much on clothes when I was younger as you grow out of it in no time.

eastwoodsdustman

Part of them growing up I'm afraid. My lad wasn't bothered at all really although he always wore football and sports tops. He has started to get designer stuff but has a paper round so pays for stuff himself. We will give him a bit towards it but not a lot. He bought a Burberry polo short a couple of months back at £90 and I think we put £20 towards it for him. As for the I-phone, keep away from it as long as you can. They're a pain in the arse and a quick way to lose any time with your kids that you have.

Otis

Part of them growing up I'm afraid. My lad wasn't bothered at all really although he always wore football and sports tops. He has started to get designer stuff but has a paper round so pays for stuff himself. We will give him a bit towards it but not a lot. He bought a Burberry polo short a couple of months back at £90 and I think we put £20 towards it for him. As for the I-phone, keep away from it as long as you can. They're a pain in the arse and a quick way to lose any time with your kids that you have.
Yep, agree. She had Minecraft and I had to take it off her, she was addicted.

Marty

It's like everything, some stuff is good and others is crap.

I wouldn't class Nike or Adidas as designer. Most of my sports stuff is Nike, but I feel like it's value for money, it tends to keep it shape longer, washes better. Adidas and Puma I won't touch at all.

I have a Lacoste polo, which I've worn about 5 times, it looks terrible already, But I have a Fred Perry polo that I have had for years and still looks as good as the day I bought it.

Saying all that though I avoid brands as much as possible, You're just paying for the name, but if I see something I like then why not.

Covstu

Kind of agree with Marty, I wouldn't class Nike as designer. Hugo Boss, Lacoste etc is designer in my eyes and I don't own any of them. Most of the time I am in a suit for work but casual is Oakley, Billabong etc and I tend to stick to certain brands. Cycling is different, I would tend to spend a bit more equally if I was buying a TV I would go for a Samsung or Sony (or something on a similar vein) rather than a cheap Chinese copy due to reliability, warranties etc.

My two girls and 5 and 2 so I have this all to come. For me I would certainly ensure they earn't anything they get rather than just pay out but there is some serious pressure on kids nowadays but I think that goes back to the quality of your friendship group and I hope my two will steer clear of people who act and think that way. Its a difficult one and this is the types of stuff that I dread when my two are older (never mind the boyfriend battle!!)

Otis

Kind of agree with Marty, I wouldn't class Nike as designer. Hugo Boss, Lacoste etc is designer in my eyes and I don't own any of them. Most of the time I am in a suit for work but casual is Oakley, Billabong etc and I tend to stick to certain brands. Cycling is different, I would tend to spend a bit more equally if I was buying a TV I would go for a Samsung or Sony (or something on a similar vein) rather than a cheap Chinese copy due to reliability, warranties etc.

My two girls and 5 and 2 so I have this all to come. For me I would certainly ensure they earn't anything they get rather than just pay out but there is some serious pressure on kids nowadays but I think that goes back to the quality of your friendship group and I hope my two will steer clear of people who act and think that way. Its a difficult one and this is the types of stuff that I dread when my two are older (never mind the boyfriend battle!!)
I have that now!!

I have told her though, it shouldn't matter what boyfriend I have, she should just accept him and call him Uncle Justin.

Nick

Administrator
I wouldn't say Nike or Adidas were designer.

We don't mind getting things like sandals or pumps from George at Asda but trainers we would get things like Adidas for her. The price of kids trainers in ASDA are still about £15 - £20 so for £30 you can get a pair that are going to last.

She is still a bit young to have any sort of peer pressure but a long way off demanding Gucci or Prada which would be classed as designer. No issues with buying her sports brands if needed but wouldn't go silly with like £100 on a t shirt or anything.

I think things have changed, you see people brag now on things like This morning about how cheap they got a dress, blogs about what to buy from Primark to save money and when I was younger it was the opposite way round.

what I would never get is something cheaper pretending to be something more expensive, not a fake but things like how US brass always tried to be kickers. Much rather get something plain and unbranded.

Sky_Blue_Daz

I do buy designer clothes but I get them from Cheshire oaks
I bought 4 pairs of Henry Lloyd jeans for just under £100 2 years ago and they are as good now as when I bought them
I do like me timberland gear though
To be honest I tend to buy most of my stuff from Cheshire oaks as its way cheaper then high street prices

Malaka

I have worked with teenagers for years and when I meet them the first thing they check out is what trainers I am wearing and always comment on an item of clothing that I am wearing if it is labelled.
Personally, I buy my clothes on line or at the outlet malls, saves a fortune and makes it more affordable if you feel the need to provide them for your kids. It is a big deal if they do not get, but as they get older they will respect you and nice things more, not taking things for granted.

Otis

Yes, good point well made.

At least in my defence I can say I don't just come on the internet to come on here and I am always doing something else. SBT comes in between my thought processes and pauses of doing what I am doing. :)

Terry Gibson's perm

I just buy what I like label or not (even though the wife hates whatever I choose). I have always had to wear suits to work but changed jobs last week and now just have to wear dark jeans and a t shirt so own 4 pairs of Loake shoes that I don't wear now.

I have a Lacoste shirt that I bought in America and the quality is crap. We used to go to the US every couple of years do would stock up there and finally last year I put on the final t shirt from a holiday we went on 19 years ago as I just pile them into the cupboard and get them out when the last batch have worn out.

Terry Gibson's perm

Never heard of Loake. Expensive?

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Fairly I think about £135 a pair and then £80 to get them repaired as you have to send them back to them and if you be them re- soled elsewhere they won't repair them if you send them to Loake the time after. I used to spend more on the shoes than the suits. Used to be English made but I think they are made in India now but repaired in the UK.

Terry Gibson's perm

Yes, good point well made.

At least in my defence I can say I don't just come on the internet to come on here and I am always doing something else. SBT comes in between my thought processes and pauses of doing what I am doing. :)

I just come on here and also my fantasy cricket teams.

Otis

I am always on the internet, all day, so I come on here when pausing from what I am doing. SBT is a kind of in-between thing for me. Always have it up and open and flick through every 15-20 mins or so when I pause from what I am doing.

Otis

When I was young we were poor, we had clothes from the army and navy store..i went to school dressed as a Japanese general
We were poor too. We got all our clothes from the jumble sale.

I remember one day seeing an old strait jacket in amongst the stuff there. As I have allergies I couldn't buy it though because it said on the label 'may contain traces of nut.'

Grendel

Some brands overprice their value but I don't think Apple do. All my family have I phones and 2 have I pads. I think they are brand leader because they are superior.

chiefdave

Some brands overprice their value but I don't think Apple do. All my family have I phones and 2 have I pads. I think they are brand leader because they are superior.
Apple kit tends to be well made and last a while. Also holds value in a way no other tech brand does. Try and sell a 3 year old HP or Dell laptop and you'll get nothing. Same can't be said for a 3 year old Macbook.

Users who are viewing this thread