Disposable Vape Ban (1 Viewer)

clint van damme

Should cut down on plastic waste a fair bit.

Think it's more about the lithium.
Currently in Thailand where they're banned. I don't vape but the missus does. Streets full of shops legitimately selling weed and mushrooms but the vapes are under the counter!

Sick Boy

Currently in Thailand where they're banned. I don't vape but the missus does. Streets full of shops legitimately selling weed and mushrooms but the vapes are under the counter!
I was in Singapore last week and they're banned there too. It was refreshing not having to put up with their stench. The wife ended up quitting vaping before going as well.

hamertime

They are only banning them so people go back to smoking fags so they can get the duty on it. Wake up people, if they give a shit about peoples health they would ban fags too. Of course that’s too lucrative so they won’t. People fall for it everytime.

12 billion per year in duty the government gets.

Last edited:

hamertime

Pretty sure it has more to do with the disposable vapes clearly being aimed at under 18s.
I’m pretty sure the government have done the figures and they want people smoking fags instead. They are addicted they can’t stop.

If they can get them off the vapes now they are customers for life.

Sick Boy

I’m pretty sure the government have done the figures and they want people smoking fags instead. They are addicted they can’t stop.
Apart from the legal smoking age is 18 and they're trying to introduce laws to prevent people born after a certain date buying them in future. I don't think there's a major conspiracy going on. If anything high taxes have contributed towards decreases in people smoking.

hamertime

9.5 billion in duty and 2.5 billion in vat each year the treasury takes. From the tobacco manufacturers association.

hamertime

They haven't (and shouldn't) ban vaping.....they're just banning the disposable vapes....and rightly so.

Lolipop flavours & colours clearly aimed at kids....and they're a fucking environmental catastrophe with over 4 million per week going into landfill in the UK alone.
The total ban will be next, like other countries.

djr8369

9.5 billion in duty and 2.5 billion in vat each year the treasury takes. From the tobacco manufacturers association.
And how much in NHS costs and lost productivity due to illness?

There’s no conspiracy they just know it’s a massive health issue.

skybluetony176

They are only banning them so people go back to smoking fags so they can get the duty on it. Wake up people, if they give a shit about peoples health they would ban fags too. Of course that’s too lucrative so they won’t. People fall for it everytime.

12 billion per year in duty the government gets.
Mmm. I see why you say that but smoking costs the NHS directly £2.2 billion a year and cancer research puts the true cost at over £20 billion when you factor in things like benefit claims from incapacitated smokers, lost tax revenue from incapacitated smokers etc. That’s before you factor in things like smoking directly contributes to 75,000 GP appointments a month contributing to a GP shortage and a knock on effect that delayed GP appointment’s mean other illnesses are negatively affected and can add on additional costs to the NHS etc. Not sure that argument stacks up anymore.

hamertime

I know lots of people who smoked their whole lives and never got cancer. I also have family who have died from cancer and never smoked or drank. I’m not saying tobacco doesn’t effect health it obviously does, but I doubt it as much as they make out. I think a lot of cancer is down to your genes and you’ll get it anyway.

I just don’t believe the government ever have peoples best interest at heart. People are a cash cow to them. It’s the same as the ulez, if they wanted to make health better, they would just ban the cars but no, they know people can’t afford them and will just have to pay the charge.

shmmeee

I’d rather smoke weed than a vape TBH. Got a dodgy disposable vape pen off a mate a while back and took me weeks to shake the cough it gave me

Sick Boy

I know lots of people who smoked their whole lives and never got cancer. I also have family who have died from cancer and never smoked or drank. I’m not saying tobacco doesn’t effect health it obviously does, but I doubt it as much as they make out.
Yeah, it's all just one big conspiracy.
Christ.

shmmeee

I know lots of people who smoked their whole lives and never got cancer. I also have family who have died from cancer and never smoked or drank. I’m not saying tobacco doesn’t effect health it obviously does, but I doubt it as much as they make out. I think a lot of cancer is down to your genes and you’ll get it anyway.

I just don’t believe the government ever have peoples best interest at heart. People are a cash cow to them. It’s the same as the ulez, if they wanted to make health better, they would just ban the cars but no, they know people can’t afford them and will just have to pay the charge.

“they”

hamertime

Mmm. I see why you say that but smoking costs the NHS directly £2.2 billion a year and cancer research puts the true cost at over £20 billion when you factor in things like benefit claims from incapacitated smokers, lost tax revenue from incapacitated smokers etc. That’s before you factor in things like smoking directly contributes to 75,000 GP appointments a month contributing to a GP shortage and a knock on effect that delayed GP appointment’s mean other illnesses are negatively affected and can add on additional costs to the NHS etc. Not sure that argument stacks up anymore.
Don’t believe what they tell you, GP appointment doesn’t really cost them anything as they are on a salary, and you will get fitted in when they can will just have to wait a little bit longer.

please don’t believe any figures the government put out.

shmmeee

Don’t believe what they tell you, GP appointment doesn’t really cost them anything as they are on a salary, and you will get fitted in when they can will just have to wait a little bit longer.

please don’t believe any figures the government put out.

So if no one ever went to the GP and if everyone in the country went every day there would be no cost implication?

jordan210

People do know that quite a lot of the big tobacco companies own or have large holdings in disposable vape companies.

The main issue why they are getting banned is the green lobbyist have been pushing for it. It's an easy win for the Gov, Make it look like they are doing something for the environment and for health reasons.

hamertime

People do know that quite a lot of the big tobacco companies own or have large holdings in disposable vape companies.

The main issue why they are getting banned is the green lobbyist have been pushing for it. It's an easy win for the Gov, Make it look like they are doing something for the environment and for health reasons.
They always do this, sugar tax, ulez etc etc. they know it’s a tax that will slide as it looks like it’s to the benefit of people. In reality the only thing they want is your cash.

shmmeee

I think the main issue is all the 12 year olds taking up nicotine TBH

jordan210

I think the main issue is all the 12 year olds taking up nicotine TBH

I have never once seen anyone actually mention that within the Green sector. But yes having bright coloured child like toys with nicotine in them isn't great !

shmmeee

I have never once seen anyone actually mention that within the Green sector. But yes having bright coloured child like toys with nicotine in them isn't great !

Don’t know if you’ve got secondary age kids but it’s ludicrous how many vape from very young, a lot “just” the nicotine free ones but many progress. Usage rates among teens are up after decades of decline.

shmmeee

No better time for the government to get them over on to the fags now they addicted. Big business.

Why would they go over to fags? They aren’t banning all vapes, just the cheap single use ones. Same as they banned packets of ten. Personally I’d have the same packaging laws as fags as well.

Users who are viewing this thread