Division 3 v Division 4 (1 Viewer)

Irish Sky Blue

One of the things I have found most surprising about this season is the difference in quality of the players and their performances in these two leagues. The gulf in class seems enormous. Yesterday was the fourth time this season we have played a third division team. We played a weakened team against Blackburn and they beat us easily, couldn’t get the ball off of them. Shrewsbury outclassed us for the first 45 minutes until we finally got stuck into them in the second half and were unlucky not to get the draw. Walsall may have fielded a weakened team, not sure, and we were the better team in that game. Yesterday was a contrast in styles. MK, like Blackburn and Shrewsbury played a possession based game. I haven’t seen one team in our league play that way. I don’t understand why this should be the case. We really had to battle hard to contain them yesterday.
During Robin’s first spell and when he came back at the end of last season, we played slick, quick attacking based football. This season that hasn’t been the case. Have we simply not got the players now to play that way and outclass the teams in this league?
Not having a go at Robins or the players. Yesterday was a typical battling, gutsy performance and I think overall we deserved to win. However, considering MKs lowly league position, their players still seemed classier than ours, something Doyle seemed to be agreeing with after the game.
Will it need a change of game plan and personnel if we get promoted?

Terry_dactyl

One of the things I have found most surprising about this season is the difference in quality of the players and their performances in these two leagues. The gulf in class seems enormous. Yesterday was the fourth time this season we have played a third division team. We played a weakened team against Blackburn and they beat us easily, couldn’t get the ball off of them. Shrewsbury outclassed us for the first 45 minutes until we finally got stuck into them in the second half and were unlucky not to get the draw. Walsall may have fielded a weakened team, not sure, and we were the better team in that game. Yesterday was a contrast in styles. MK, like Blackburn and Shrewsbury played a possession based game. I haven’t seen one team in our league play that way. I don’t understand why this should be the case. We really had to battle hard to contain them yesterday.
During Robin’s first spell and when he came back at the end of last season, we played slick, quick attacking based football. This season that hasn’t been the case. Have we simply not got the players now to play that way and outclass the teams in this league?
Not having a go at Robins or the players. Yesterday was a typical battling, gutsy performance and I think overall we deserved to win. However, considering MKs lowly league position, their players still seemed classier than ours, something Doyle seemed to be agreeing with after the game.

I was thinking the exact same thing. To me it feels like we are better (better players, better manager etc) than last year, and I thought we’d do alright in league 1 with our current crop. However, I now think (and I don’t want to tempt fate) if we were to go up we’d need quite a few new faces.
My dad is a Pompey season ticket and wasn’t surprised to see the likes of Doyle and Davies depart...he thought they ‘did a job’ but had deficiencies that would be found out on their promotion.
Having said that we’re in the 5th round and doing well in the league so fuck it!

covcity4life

Interrsting topic

I think robins is really looking for bsck to bscm promotions so will beintriguing to see how much he chanves squad in sum.er if we go up.

Players good enough for league 1 for sure imo

Macdobald
Willis
Stokes
Grimmer
Bayliss
Mcnulty
Jones
Andreu
Ponticelli and shipley(no way wont stay after signing new contracts imo)

Not a bad start to the squad at least!

Robins will habe to decide on

Doyle
Kelly
Vincente
Biamou
Burge
LOB
Stevenson
Davies
Hyam

And think we will defintley get rid of

Kwame thomas
Beavon
Haynes
Dke(both)

From what i have seen i would no issues with keeping davies ans hyam. Those 4 cbs can play league 1 imo

Kelly too could do ok. Doylr might be too old but worth keeping in squad as captian.

We will challenge i think with 4 or 5 newbies

But lets focus on league 2 promotion first i guess lol

steve82

What stood out to me yesterday was the athleticism between the two sides was a huge gulf. They are in a false position tho in the league. We'd need to sign 6/7 new players minimum to cope with the demands of the league, like we did with L2.

What seen us through was team spirit and believe of a confident group of players and a slice of good luck.

Another day or run of the mill league game the outcome could of been different.

MR knows this and would address it come the summer should he need to.

skylark37

Interesting topic indeed. I wasn't at the mk game yesterday but listened on the radio and have watched highlights.
Seems like it could have been very different.

Very good point about being outclassed by league 1 teams already this season, and about how perhaps we don't have the players to be attacking and outclassing teams similar to MR's first stint. I don't think we have the players for that. Look at how young the team is - so many academy players, clearly a lot of talent there and something for us to be proud of but perhaps it's still about getting the basics right for them and getting 'real match' experience. A steady defensive set up could well be the most fertile ground for them to grow in league two.

It's making me wonder what the gulfs in quality are between the four leagues. How large each one is, what the differences are, what sort of players/tactics you'll find in each league...

As Cov fans we are probably in the best position to judge the differences between each league having featured in all of them. The gulf in quality between Championship & League 1 felt pretty massive whilst stood sunburnt at Huish Park that day, but now from a league 2 position it's almost looking like the gulf in quality that is least drastic is the Championship to the lower half of the Premiership...and that just doesn't sound right at all. Newcastle this season - people are saying they're a Championship team. Maybe Brighton are the same.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Had the same discussion yesterday- MKDons in fairness played some really good football, L2 is just a load of lumps, that said I think this seasons squad would stay up in L1 as opposed to last years.

Brighton Sky Blue

Looking at the MK forum they felt they played their best game in months. New manager, new bounce.

What might be a better indicator is looking at survival rates of promoted teams. By and large it's rare for more than 1 or 2 to go straight back down.

Terry_dactyl

Looking at the MK forum they felt they played their best game in months. New manager, new bounce.

What might be a better indicator is looking at survival rates of promoted teams. By and large it's rare for more than 1 or 2 to go straight back down.

I wonder, and can’t be arsed to check, if that’s true of every division apart from the prem?

Londonccfcfan

Huge difference in quality of pitches too. Not the most condusive to playing it along the deck. Most In league 2 are shocking compared to League 1.

Probably a reflection of finances/Grounds/upkeep/lack of drainage etc. yes I know ours is bad.

Mcbean

Most teams seems to be bigger than we are - i was glad when they took Lewington off as he is a clumper and could have injured someone - the two on the right side actually made a lot of good moves against us but they were all woeful at finishing - i mentioned Sanchez in a thread on other football - although only Yeovil his touch and control was awesome and i could just imagine Moronio laughing his way to the final at Wengers expense

Adge

Interrsting topic

I think robins is really looking for bsck to bscm promotions so will beintriguing to see how much he chanves squad in sum.er if we go up.

Players good enough for league 1 for sure imo

Macdobald
Willis
Stokes
Grimmer
Bayliss
Mcnulty
Jones
Andreu
Ponticelli and shipley(no way wont stay after signing new contracts imo)

Not a bad start to the squad at least!

Robins will habe to decide on

Doyle
Kelly
Vincente
Biamou
Burge
LOB
Stevenson
Davies
Hyam

And think we will defintley get rid of

Kwame thomas
Beavon
Haynes
Dke(both)

From what i have seen i would no issues with keeping davies ans hyam. Those 4 cbs can play league 1 imo

Kelly too could do ok. Doylr might be too old but worth keeping in squad as captian.

We will challenge i think with 4 or 5 newbies

But lets focus on league 2 promotion first i guess lol
Agree with most of that but would keep Davies and Dion if we manage to get up. Davies is similar (if not better) than Aaron Martin and Martin was good enough for L1. I think that was one of Mowbrays biggest gaffs letting him go.

BackRoomRummermill

Div 4 football is terrible, we are playing according to what we are up against. I think the performances against higher leagues this year shows that the team is set up for higher. It is the most frustrating thing when I remember what league we are in and its utter dog excrement

covcity4life

Agree with most of that but would keep Davies and Dion if we manage to get up. Davies is similar (if not better) than Aaron Martin and Martin was good enough for L1. I think that was one of Mowbrays biggest gaffs letting him go.
Martin was shite. Hes done nothing since in his career

Davies looks a lot lot better

Londonccfcfan

Martin was shite. Hes done nothing since in his career

Davies looks a lot lot better

Davies is more suited to League two and very effective and good at this level.

Martin to be fair to him was very good under Mowbray and is much more comfortable on the ball. hes also struggled with injuries.

Sky Blue Harry H

Huge difference in quality of pitches too. Not the most condusive to playing it along the deck. Most In league 2 are shocking compared to League 1.

Probably a reflection of finances/Grounds/upkeep/lack of drainage etc. yes I know ours is bad.

Yep - MKs pitch different class to majority of L2

wingy

Interesting topic indeed. I wasn't at the mk game yesterday but listened on the radio and have watched highlights.
Seems like it could have been very different.

Very good point about being outclassed by league 1 teams already this season, and about how perhaps we don't have the players to be attacking and outclassing teams similar to MR's first stint. I don't think we have the players for that. Look at how young the team is - so many academy players, clearly a lot of talent there and something for us to be proud of but perhaps it's still about getting the basics right for them and getting 'real match' experience. A steady defensive set up could well be the most fertile ground for them to grow in league two.

It's making me wonder what the gulfs in quality are between the four leagues. How large each one is, what the differences are, what sort of players/tactics you'll find in each league...

As Cov fans we are probably in the best position to judge the differences between each league having featured in all of them. The gulf in quality between Championship & League 1 felt pretty massive whilst stood sunburnt at Huish Park that day, but now from a league 2 position it's almost looking like the gulf in quality that is least drastic is the Championship to the lower half of the Premiership...and that just doesn't sound right at all. Newcastle this season - people are saying they're a Championship team. Maybe Brighton are the same.
If That's your first post welcome to the site.

Liquid Gold

It's a strange one because the quality of the league seems to be awful but there is a history of teams like Burton going straight through league 1 after promotion from league 2.

Users who are viewing this thread