Do footballers really need a manager ? (1 Viewer)

bringbackrattles

I watched football focus on Saturday and it featured a piece on Watford as they keep sacking their managers at an alarming rate,but they are playing well despite of this and one of their players said: " to be honest we are a close knit group and we know how to play and we aren't bothered about the constant change of managers." Which got me thinking that all you really need in your team is a captain/leader who can motivate his team-mates on the pitch.Obviously you need someone to pick the team but the coach could do that and then let the players get on with it !

Otis

I watched football focus on Saturday and it featured a piece on Watford as they keep sacking their managers at an alarming rate,but they are playing well despite of this and one of their players said: " to be honest we are a close knit group and we know how to play and we aren't bothered about the constant change of managers." Which got me thinking that all you really need in your team is a captain/leader who can motivate his team-mates on the pitch.Obviously you need someone to pick the team but the coach could do that and then let the players get on with it !

Fine while they're winning, but let's see how 'close knit' they all our when things start going pear shaped and individual errors are losing games for them.

bringbackrattles

Fine while they're winning, but let's see how 'close knit' they all our when things start going pear shaped and individual errors are losing games for them.
My son asked me recently what's the difference between a coach and a manager ? I admitted I'm not sure to be honest so all I said was a coach is more about training and tactics,while the manager is there to pick the side and how they should play. Am I right ?

Otis

My son asked me recently what's the difference between a coach and a manager ? I admitted I'm not sure to be honest so all I said was a coach is more about training and tactics,while the manager is there to pick the side and how they should play. Am I right ?

Why don't you just tell him there's more letters in 'manager.'

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern

I thought a coach was something you went on for a day at the seaside? :thinking about:

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
No ........... generally judging by the Premiership etc they need their mummy quickly followed by their agents ............... :thinking about:

Brighton Sky Blue

No ........... generally judging by the Premiership etc they need their mummy quickly followed by their agents ............... :thinking about:

Yaya Toure getting upset about only having a birthday cake was perhaps the most ridiculous so far.

notts-joe

It would be interesting seeing what happens without a manager present, I suspect it would be like watching park football.

Some clubs may manage but the majority would need some guidance.

Captains wouldn't really foresee how to overcome obstacles or change tactics for the better.

Covstu

Managers are there for one thing...... Being in the firing line when things go tits up!

Users who are viewing this thread