Do you know the pleasing thing.... (1 Viewer)

Skyblueweeman

So I'm normally one who says 'give it 10 games to properly judge us'. We're 7 in and looking great and our next 3 games are against bottom half sides. Last season, I think our first 10 games were against 10 of the best sides in the division so it was a much tougher start and this season, you can argue that we're still to play a real top side (maybe bar QPR).

That said, what's really pleasing about the start is the fact we've done it without players who many (me included to be fair) thought would be crucial to us moving forward. Paterson, Leo, Walsh - there's probably others.

MR continues to get the plaudits for the work he's done with what he's got and what he's brought in. Yes, there's still questions marks of some of the signings (Da Costa being one) but he just seems to get the best out of the majority of those he works with, it's incredible.

Hyam - looking really accomplished at the moment, Gyo - looking like a 20 goal a season striker, Allen - I mean, what he's done to him I don't know but he looks a different player (which I'm pleased about as I've stuck up for him before). I guess my point is, it apparently doesn't matter if Walsh, Patterson or Leo chose to go elsewhere. Whoever we end up with, MR seems to somehow make everything work and everyone tick.

Truly, a generational manager for us. It won't be long before I'll start to get nervous about him attracting interest from elsewhere. I have a feeling though that he likes the project here and how he's thought of amongst the fans. Here's hoping he continues the march upwards.

Sky Blue Harry H

I had a look last night and I think it was about game 15, when we beat Rotherham 3-1 that got us to 17 points (and that was the back end of a four or five game unbeaten run). So, after 14 games last season, we had less points than we had in the first 7 this season! Quite an improvement!

kg82

Too true. I liked Allen, but wondered how he’d fit in and thought, if we wanted to improve, it would be best to let him find a new club. Happy he’s proving me wrong!

We’re above where I (and, I imagine, lots of others) thought we’d be right now. Keeping my feet on the ground, I’d still be ecstatic with a top half finish. Anything above 10th is more than a bonus.

torchomatic

So I'm normally one who says 'give it 10 games to properly judge us'. We're 7 in and looking great and our next 3 games are against bottom half sides. Last season, I think our first 10 games were against 10 of the best sides in the division so it was a much tougher start and this season, you can argue that we're still to play a real top side (maybe bar QPR).

That said, what's really pleasing about the start is the fact we've done it without players who many (me included to be fair) thought would be crucial to us moving forward. Paterson, Leo, Walsh - there's probably others.

MR continues to get the plaudits for the work he's done with what he's got and what he's brought in. Yes, there's still questions marks of some of the signings (Da Costa being one) but he just seems to get the best out of the majority of those he works with, it's incredible.

Hyam - looking really accomplished at the moment, Gyo - looking like a 20 goal a season striker, Allen - I mean, what he's done to him I don't know but he looks a different player (which I'm pleased about as I've stuck up for him before). I guess my point is, it apparently doesn't matter if Walsh, Patterson or Leo chose to go elsewhere. Whoever we end up with, MR seems to somehow make everything work and everyone tick.

Truly, a generational manager for us. It won't be long before I'll start to get nervous about him attracting interest from elsewhere. I have a feeling though that he likes the project here and how he's thought of amongst the fans. Here's hoping he continues the march upwards.

Great post, WM. Agree with that wholeheartedly.

Liquid Gold

It's a very good start but we have played weaker teams. The challenge for us as fans is to keep backing the team when we go on the inevitable slump at some point. I'm sure we will though, the atmosphere around the place is buzzing this season.

It's remarkable seeing the season on season progression and I'd still take a solid mid-table if it meant this young team kept playing this way and developing together.

We've got a very very big summer next year though. Fadz might finally need replacing, O'Hare and Hamer will be sold and we'll have to offer a number of player improved teams or risk losing them. That is where I worry we might fall away a bit.

Completely agree about his ability to go with players that may not be his first choice too, although I feel sometimes like we've dodged a bullet. Matty James can sit on his huge wages doing nothing with Bristol City, we want players to fight to be here.

Skyblueweeman

Matty James, yep, there was another one I should've mentioned. I was worried that without someone like him, we'd struggle. Should've had more faith in MR in getting the best out of what he has.

skybluesam66

It's a very good start but we have played weaker teams.
6 of the 7 (all except Blackpool) were in the top half of the betting at the start of the season as per a previous post . Define weaker teams. Cardiff and middlesbrough would both have been in the top 6 if they had beaten us, and Qpr are 7th

steve cooper

6 of the 7 (all except Blackpool) were in the top half of the betting at the start of the season as per a previous post . Define weaker teams. Cardiff and middlesbrough would both have been in the top 6 if they had beaten us, and Qpr are 7th
Cardif would have been 4th if they had won last night, and even Reading would have been in the top half had they held on to beat us.

Sky Blue Pete

It's a very good start but we have played weaker teams. The challenge for us as fans is to keep backing the team when we go on the inevitable slump at some point. I'm sure we will though, the atmosphere around the place is buzzing this season.

It's remarkable seeing the season on season progression and I'd still take a solid mid-table if it meant this young team kept playing this way and developing together.

We've got a very very big summer next year though. Fadz might finally need replacing, O'Hare and Hamer will be sold and we'll have to offer a number of player improved teams or risk losing them. That is where I worry we might fall away a bit.

Completely agree about his ability to go with players that may not be his first choice too, although I feel sometimes like we've dodged a bullet. Matty James can sit on his huge wages doing nothing with Bristol City, we want players to fight to be here.
6 out of the teams we played were predicted in the initial odds to finish in the top half.

Liquid Gold

These were the pre season odds
  • Fulham @ 8/13.
  • West Brom @ 8/11.
  • Bournemouth @ 5/2.
  • Stoke City @ 3/1.
  • QPR @ 4/1.
  • Sheffield United @ 9/2.
  • Cardiff City @ 9/2.

We haven't played any of the top 5, we've lost to the 6th, 7th are going through some chaos and we did well and beat the 8th.

I'm not downgrading our achievement but we've had an easier start than we had last year and we're yet to prove we can do it against a genuine playoff team.

skybluesam66

These were the pre season odds
  • Fulham @ 8/13.
  • West Brom @ 8/11.
  • Bournemouth @ 5/2.
  • Stoke City @ 3/1.
  • QPR @ 4/1.
  • Sheffield United @ 9/2.
  • Cardiff City @ 9/2.

We haven't played any of the top 5, we've lost to the 6th, 7th are going through some chaos and we did well and beat the 8th.

I'm not downgrading our achievement but we've had an easier start than we had last year and we're yet to prove we can do it against a genuine playoff team.
counting that Qpr were 5th and Cardiff 7th - so weve played 2 out of 7 (28%) in our first 7 games out of 23 (30%) We know the top 3 in the betting will be up there but apart from that !!

Liquid Gold

counting that Qpr were 5th and Cardiff 7th - so weve played 2 out of 7 (28%) in our first 7 games out of 23 (30%) We know the top 3 in the betting will be up there but apart from that !!
We've played 1 of the top quarter of the league in betting and lost.

Again, I'm not saying we're shit, so little room for any hint of nuance on this forum these days. All I said is we're yet to do it against a genuine playoff team.

If we do it against the rest and finish 7th this season I'll be ecstatic so it isn't even a negative.

Users who are viewing this thread