do you think andy thorn should stay as manager (1 Viewer)

Grendel

And I could argue that the time Thorn spent as a player meant he's been in more dressing room talks than Mourinho has. That wasn't the point though, the point was the guy's previous job is irrelevant.

This forum must be the only place the relative managerial merits of mourinho and thorn are up for debate. Perhaps we should have a poll as to who is the best? Some will say thorn!

SkyBlueScottie

Is he the best manager we have ever had? No. Do I think he should be sacked because of our league position this season? No. Does he still have the backing of the dressing room despite this shitty situation the club is in? I would say yes.

I actually think that had he gone, sacked or walked, another manager would see us in further trouble as they would soon become disillusioned with thesituation which would have spread to the players and could have ultimately upset the learning curve our youngsters are currently on.

Nonleagueherewecome

Anyone watch TFLS and hear what the Derby Assistant Manager had to say about us? The Thorn-bashers would do well to listen very carefully to his words.

Paxman II

perhaps the question should be;

If an experienced manager had been at the helm from the get go would we still be in this dreadful position?

Puck

perhaps the question should be;

If an experienced manager had been at the helm from the get go would we still be in this dreadful position?

Perhaps the question should be, what is the point in the constant haranguing of Thorn as manager?
After all he's all we have!

john robinson

Perhaps the question should be, what is the point in the constant haranguing of Thorn as manager?
After all he's all we have!

The point is we are bottom of the league and all the players he scouted are crap that is why we are in this position Sisu please show some balls and sack Thorn.

Puck

The point is we are bottom of the league and all the players he scouted are crap that is why we are in this position Sisu please show some balls and sack Thorn.

Well, I don't know for certain which players Thorn scouted, nor the constraints he was put under regarding his suggestions and who he was allowed to sign, maybe you do and can educate us all?

john robinson

Well, I don't know for certain which players Thorn scouted, nor the constraints he was put under regarding his suggestions and who he was allowed to sign, maybe you do and can educate us all?

So he didn't scout anyone of these losers then? Just what does Andy Thorn do. Sisu sack him and bring in Bobby Gould.

Astute

So it is the fault of AT that King, Juke, Best and any other player that can score goals have left our club and not the fault of SISU ? How are we supposed to score goals without goalscorers?

You sound as though you are a WUM or SISU supporter.

Tankie

"Sisu Show some Balls"! Now that is funny
23_33_20.gif

Grendel

Moff

Anyone watch TFLS and hear what the Derby Assistant Manager had to say about us? The Thorn-bashers would do well to listen very carefully to his words.

Sorry but an argument that Thorn is great, as an assistant manager at derby said so, does not carry much kudos as,

we still lost
we didnt score as usual
and are still bottom of the league.

Many people say nice things about him and the team, but losing still gets nil points and we need more than that.

I dont dislike Thorn, sympathise fully with his predicament, but feel he is out of his depth and is tactically poor.

I would like a change only to see if perhaps someone, anyone could do better.

(And before anyone asks I have got suggestions but will be fekked if I am going to argue with someone about it on here, so am keeping them to myself)

Tankie

Hi Moff.
I really don't get this tactically naive "Bandwagon" that some are jumping aboard.
We are outfootballing most teams we play against.
We are losing by the odd goal, in most cases, after dominating the game.
So, how can our tactics be wrong?
I see it as individual errors, rather than Tacticts.
And the lack of a real goal scorer, And thats Sisu's fault, not Thorns, No i can't see a lot wrong with the Tactics Moff, I really can't.
respect...Tank Top.

Mary_Mungo_Midge

Hi Moff.
I really don't get this tactically naive "Bandwagon" that some are jumping aboard.
And the lack of a real goal scorer, And thats Sisu's fault, not Thorns, No i can't see a lot wrong with the Tactics Moff, I really can't.
respect...Tank Top.

This is pretty much where I stand. The agreed mantra in football being that a team's backbone is of paramount importance. The backbone of Westwood, Turner, Gunnar and King has gone from a squad that was barely good enough last term.

If it were still present, or replacements of a like-for-like quality funded, then we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Don't get me wrong, Thorn would still not be my manager of choice; but he wouldn't be vilified in the way he currently is

DanishCovLad

How about bringing back Roland Nilsson? Im not sure if he is too expensive for us atm but he could probably turn things around. He did very well in Malmo FF where he won the league championship and also finished off FC Copenhagen at 1st place in the Danish league before the winter break

Moff

Hi Moff.
respect...Tank Top.

Tankie, as ever an eloquent post.

I personally have not jumped on the tactically naive bandwagon, I am just saying it as I see it, and I appreciate like yourself not everyone agrees.

Yes we have played well, yes we have lost games by the odd goal, but thats my point we are nice on the eye with no penetration, and sadly keep losing games.

He seems unwilling to change formations when needed, played an attacking loan player as a holding midfielder, seems unsure on how to change things when we go behind, doesnt seem to use his subs effectively, and we lack any sort of fight to come from behind.

I honestly wish it were different but cant help feel Thorn is unable to change things and perhaps we should see if someone else could. Clearly SISU and others view it differently and as ever I will always support the team and Thorn whether I think they or he are up to the job or not.

Respect as ever, Moff

Nonleagueherewecome

We don't have wide men, so that's not an option.

We tried 433/451 and promptly delivered our most inept 45 minutes of the season. Thorn changed it to diamond at H/T and delivered one of the best 45 minutes of our season.

532/352 is tactically outmoded and redundant in modern football.

Nope, I still think we'd have maybe 1 or 2 wins, and have taken 5 or 6 4-0 beatings, if we were managed by any other manager who was willing to do the job given the disgusting working conditions. I know it looks like things couldn't be any worse when we are bottom, but they could!

shmmeee

How about bringing back Roland Nilsson? Im not sure if he is too expensive for us atm but he could probably turn things around. He did very well in Malmo FF where he won the league championship and also finished off FC Copenhagen at 1st place in the Danish league before the winter break

I'd drive Roland here from Denmark if he would agree to come. Great manager, great player, great bloke.

On £6.5k a week though, so I'd expect he's out of our price range. That said, we have just saved £7k/week....

shmmeee

Tankie, as ever an eloquent post.

I personally have not jumped on the tactically naive bandwagon, I am just saying it as I see it, and I appreciate like yourself not everyone agrees.

Yes we have played well, yes we have lost games by the odd goal, but thats my point we are nice on the eye with no penetration, and sadly keep losing games.

He seems unwilling to change formations when needed, played an attacking loan player as a holding midfielder, seems unsure on how to change things when we go behind, doesnt seem to use his subs effectively, and we lack any sort of fight to come from behind.

I honestly wish it were different but cant help feel Thorn is unable to change things and perhaps we should see if someone else could. Clearly SISU and others view it differently and as ever I will always support the team and Thorn whether I think they or he are up to the job or not.

Respect as ever, Moff

What changes do you expect him to make? He's often picking the only 16 fit players we have! Against Southampton we couldn't even put out a full bench. Last game we finished we had arguably 4 right backs in the back line and a winger up front.

All the issues people are raising can be traced back to a ridiculously small and young squad:

- Losing by the odd goal: we lost in the last 30 minutes in 2/3rds of our losses. This is obviously down to fitness, which is a symptom of players not getting enough rest and/or being in their first full season at this level
- Playing players out of position: no choices due to small squad
- No subs/not changing it: small squad
- Doesn't change formation: as repeatedly stated, he plays the most effective formation for the staff available. We often can't change it due to, you guessed it, the small squad

I respect your (and other's) opinion, but I feel you are looking at symptoms, not cause here.

Nonleagueherewecome

Not to mention the walking wounded that wouldn't be on the pitch at any other club. But we're going round in circles a bit now, repeating the arguments from a few pages back..guess this happens with all these huge threads, people can't be bothered to read them all the way through.

shmmeee

Not to mention the walking wounded that wouldn't be on the pitch at any other club. But we're going round in circles a bit now, repeating the arguments from a few pages back..guess this happens with all these huge threads, people can't be bothered to read them all the way through.

Guilty as charged.

Nonleagueherewecome

We didn't use to have so many Giant Dwarf Threads...I suppose it depends on what's more annoying, these or the alternative where we see the same thread being started every two days..

He's had no money or support. He cannot be judged given the circumstances. Though I will say that I admire the bloke because of the passion he has, the way he comes across on the radio & the way he likes to play the game.

I was also damn impressed that he was bright enough to get onto Mowbray & ask him not to play Juke against us. More than the sisu family brain cell could manage apparently.

HUTCH.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread