Do you want to discuss boring politics? (54 Viewers)

shmmeee

OK guys I didn’t look into the Twitter rando

shmmeee

That comes from your false assumption that people who want left wing policy in the Labour party want it to be fronted up by the politicians you mention. The second post on his thread is absolute nonsense drivel and says that he's the crank.

Then who? Because you can only work with what you’ve got. Are you not frustrated by the low quality of left wing MPs?

wingy

Are we at the point that were dominated disadvantaged by cultural values IE lawyers, medicine, I mean I never had a plan apart from a brief flirtation with Poly but my daughter did far better and got all the qualifications and maybe I should have insisted when 12- or 13-14 to stick to those voluntary evening in law practice,wheras now i sense that first pangs of why?

Ian1779

Then who? Because you can only work with what you’ve got. Are you not frustrated by the low quality of left wing MPs?
Where is the platform to come through though? The trade union movement maybe but they are actually getting stuff done for the people that they represent in that medium.
Why bother moving to politics where they will have less impact and be undermined by so-called left leaning colleagues.
Also manu left wing MP’s do a lot locally for their constituents, but often this is not seen at a bigger level.

wingy

Where is the platform to come through though? The trade union movement maybe but they are actually getting stuff done for the people that they represent in that medium.
Why bother moving to politics where they will have less impact and be undermined by so-called left leaning colleagues.
Also manu left wing MP’s do a lot locally for their constituents, but often this is not seen at a bigger level.
There's just been a selection in one of the London boroughs swung by eight online votes just happened to be the son of that civil servant what's her name?

Brighton Sky Blue

We need both. Productivity is in the toilet because all our infrastructure is shite whether it’s human or not.

I honestly think a lot of it is down to the weird class system in this country that values law and finance and PPE and not Maths and Physics and Engineering.
Case in point the peak salary in my own physical science being £50-55k

NorthernWisdom

As I’ve suggested, the government can directly influence wages in say social care which would require increased Council funding. It could also focus on certain key sectors to better subsidise/incentivise further education which would require central government investment. There’s no ‘plan’ though. Just short term reactive policy
Never will be because it'll always be the'next lot' who get the benefits and therefore credit.

Democracy as we do it doesn't encourage long term thinking!

shmmeee

There’s no pipeline. Look at how Corbyn was selected “oh I guess it’s my turn”. Too many on the left see politics as a dirty word. Look at AOC for how you can be very left and also have an eye on political reality.

Step one for me is as a whole the left needs to stop the purity spirals and accept that you’ve got to face the voters.

shmmeee

It's also worth noting Corbyn has always been a very hard working local MP. There are a few about - Jim Pawsey was in Rugby too.

You need a bigger picture if you're going to be leader, though.

They’re basically two different jobs. And should probably actually be such. There’s no way the PMs constituents get a fair deal.

NorthernWisdom

They’re basically two different jobs. And should probably actually be such. There’s no way the PMs constituents get a fair deal.
Now as it happens, my in-laws are his constituents(!) Alas, I fear they probably voted for him too...

While I sort of see the general point, I wonder how much influence being PM has on avoiding controversial decisions being railroaded through your constituency etc? It's the speaker's constituency that *really* misses out!

Brighton Sky Blue

Now as it happens, my in-laws are his constituents(!) Alas, I fear they probably voted for him too...

While I sort of see the general point, I wonder how much influence being PM has on avoiding controversial decisions being railroaded through your constituency etc? It's the speaker's constituency that *really* misses out!
On the contrary I think having such a big wet lettuce around must have some health benefits.

PVA

Johnson basically admitting he was too lazy and incompetent to deal with the spread of Covid outbreak, particular in the early days.

What an awful, awful man he is. He has the blood of thousands on his hands. And yet will face no consequences. Good old Boris, boys will be boys, nevermind.

The worst possible leader at the worst possible time. Thanks Brexit.

skybluetony176

So the Rwanda plan looks more and more like a pointless red meat for the frothers gimmick the more the details come out. What we’ve learned today against a backdrop of a backlog of over 100K claims for asylum is that there’s capacity for 100 claimants in total in Rwanda and we’re bringing vulnerable asylum seekers already in Rwanda (presumably from other parts of Africa) to the UK under the terms of the latest agreement which Sunak refused to put a number on at PMQ’s. If the failed asylum seekers we send there commit a crime while in Rwanda, Rwanda are sending them back to the UK immediately where we’ll have to deal with them again. Chris Phipps suggesting on the TV rounds this morning we’ll then attempt to send them back to their own country which begs the question why didn’t we try that in the first place. Presumably the answer is we can’t.

Also worth pointing out that we’ve spanked £140 million on this to date. Imagine if we’d just put that money into dealing with the backlog helping empty hotels and filling the labour shortage with the successful claimants. The lengths this government will go to for the amusement of gammons.

Users who are viewing this thread