Do you want to discuss boring politics? (26 Viewers)

Evo1883

Has this country lost its mind ? Honestly this has shocked me not only the callers ignorance to reality , but also Rachel Johnson being a thick c**t too

Btw that's 31200 a year DISPOSIBLE income

fernandopartridge

I think the caller was saying that was between two people. The point is though, if Rachel Johnson thinks that isn't very much - wait until she hears how much disposable income an average household as.

Evo1883

Especially if he and she have car plans/Electric etc, subscription to gym, country club,etc , holiday factored in?

Doesn't matter really wingy , it's the UK average wage alone disposable, over 30k to live doing what you choose after all bills are paid ..

rob9872

Depends what you call bills. If it still has to pay to run a car and counts tv subscriptions, mobile phones, broadband as non essential bills, holidays, clothes etc all to come out then certainly a lot less. Appreciate it's more than most, but not a million miles from where we are and running two cars, following the city and a couple of holidays a year, doesn't leave much over.

Evo1883

Depends what you call bills. If it still has to pay to run a car and counts tv subscriptions, mobile phones, broadband as non essential bills, holidays, clothes etc all to come out then certainly a lot less. Appreciate it's more than most, but not a million miles from where we are and running two cars, following the city and a couple of holidays a year, doesn't leave much over.
It's top 5% , if people struggle on 100k they are living an expensive lifestyle

PVA

I suppose it's relative.

I haven't listened to the interview, but if someone on 100k is saying they can't do some of the things they used to do, for financial reasons, then I'm sure they're being genuine.

Same as someone on 30k can't do some of the things they used to do.

It's just those things are probably very, very different!

But if the 100k person is saying it's tough to put the food on the table then clearly that's a load of shit.

chiefdave

I think the caller was saying that was between two people. The point is though, if Rachel Johnson thinks that isn't very much - wait until she hears how much disposable income an average household as.
There's been a few people saying stuff like this recently. Sure they'd all be happy if the government announced a huge increase in minimum wage and benefit payments

Evo1883

I suppose it's relative.

I haven't listened to the interview, but if someone on 100k is saying they can't do some of the things they used to do, for financial reasons, then I'm sure they're being genuine.

Same as someone on 30k can't do some of the things they used to do.

It's just those things are probably very, very different!

But if the 100k person is saying it's tough to put the food on the table then clearly that's a load of shit.

100k is not a poverty wage and I won't even argue it . If you're struggling on a household wage of 100k then you're a fucking melt .. end of story

Again , it's top 5% in terms of household income

Grendel

I’m left wing
Tv Show Lol GIF

PVA

100k is not a poverty wage and I won't even argue it . If you're struggling on a household wage of 100k then you're a fucking melt .. end of story

Of course it's not a poverty wage, I don't think anyone would suggest it is. I'm certainly not!

shmmeee

It doesn’t grant you a top 5% lifestyle tho and that’s the complaint. Wages are shit across the board. People on 100k should probably be on £200k, people on £30k should probably be on £60k. We’re all getting shafted and no one on PAYE is to blame.

skybluetony176

It’s hard to have sympathy for households earning £100K a year but the fact is like most households pre Truss they were probably living within their means. When Truss shocked the economy with her budget it made mortgages unaffordable for many households as all of a sudden even people on £100K a year were effected as their mortgage probably reflected their income, same as anyone else with a mortgage under a certain age.

Brighton Sky Blue

It’s hard to have sympathy for households earning £100K a year but the fact is like most households pre Truss they were probably living within their means. When Truss shocked the economy with her budget it made mortgages unaffordable for many households as all of a sudden even people on £100K a year were effected as their mortgage probably reflected their income, same as anyone else with a mortgage under a certain age.
Yes, July is going to be fun for us when our fixed rate comes to an end.

Sky Blue Pete

You’ll be OK. It’s roughly back where it was. Mine went up by over 50% at its worse. Proper shitty six months or so.
Yep I agree with that
I suppose it’s the imbalance that comes when middle class or upper class people suffer financial issues as opposed to those in our society on minimum wage or zero contracts
It’s like the Tory that said you shouldn’t need to use foodbanks if you managed your money properly?
Don’t know the answer but there needs a huge reset in property
Think the year of jubilee referred to in the Old Testament is a good idea but obviously completely impractical

shmmeee

Yep I agree with that
I suppose it’s the imbalance that comes when middle class or upper class people suffer financial issues as opposed to those in our society on minimum wage or zero contracts
It’s like the Tory that said you shouldn’t need to use foodbanks if you managed your money properly?
Don’t know the answer but there needs a huge reset in property
Think the year of jubilee referred to in the Old Testament is a good idea but obviously completely impractical

I’m increasingly of the belief house prices are accountable for a large portion of this country’s problems. So I think you fix it by building fucking loads of houses.

fernandopartridge

I’m increasingly of the belief house prices are accountable for a large portion of this country’s problems. So I think you fix it by building fucking loads of houses.

I agree with that, I think the issue is wider though and extends to all property both domestic and commercial. Property used as an investment rather than investing in something productive is a disaster. The problem is, unravelling it all is going to hurt a lot of people and institutions I think.

rob9872

In an ideal world I'd agree, but we already cant build houses fast enough to deal with population. I know anyone suggesting capping immigration is labelled a racist on here, but surely limiting at least until we can house everyone would be a long way towards solving the issue.

Users who are viewing this thread