Do you want to discuss boring politics? (13 Viewers)

Grendel

Streeting was asking for more tories to join Labour this morning

David O'Day

I'm struggling with this, I must admit.

I'll be voting Labour at the GE, and I understand that Starmer has to project an image of inclusivity and benevolence, and that he is on the side of the angels.

But, fucking hell!
So they should miss the chance to give the tories yet another kicking? Especially when it is an NHS doctor saying he is leaving the tories as they are killing the NHS?

He isn't standing in the GE, short term gain and non long term pain.

Hertsccfc

So they should miss the chance to give the tories yet another kicking? Especially when it is an NHS doctor saying he is leaving the tories as they are killing the NHS?

He isn't standing in the GE, short term gain and non long term pain.
Yes. Do you think anyone is going to be swayed to vote Labour because of this? He was a Tory health minister.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

No. You vote for a person not a party.
So if one of the Cov MP's suddenly defected to the Tories everyone would just be "No, fair enough. I voted for the person not the party".

If we vote for the person why even bother putting their party on the ballot paper?

duffer

No. You vote for a person not a party.

You vote for a person based on what party they're representing, surely.

Otherwise, as said elsewhere, why would prospective candidates tie themselves to party policies and discipline and have the party name printed directly next to theirs on the ballot paper.

I'd bet a reasonably large number of regular voters couldn't tell you the name of their MP, but they'll know what party they voted for.

If as an MP you're confident that people will vote for you regardless of your change of party allegiance, why not give them a chance to do so in a by-election? That sounds like democracy to me.

Grendel

Hamsa Useless likely to quit today

jimmyhillsfanclub

I see the Irish are a bit confused.....

I'm sure it was only last month their Govt. & courts declared the UK as "unsafe" to send migrants.....

news things GIF

shmmeee

Long held Tories being very comfortable in your party is a really good thing. Really it is.

Having more votes than the opposition is a good thing. Every Labour MP is a good MP. Even if you lose them on some policy there’s only so many times you can break the whip and stay in the party.

clint van damme

Douglas Ross making a cast iron case for why the UK should have had a general election over 2 years ago through the medium of calling for a Scottish election.

skybluetony176

Pissing it in the polls and yet

In the interest of balance there’s no suggestion in the article that they intend to not increase workers rights just some aspects will be in consultation with industry. Fact is Labour are still going to improve workers rights and apparently in the first 100 days. What you personally won’t admit also is that some of what labour has to reverse is a result of rights lost by Brexit, especially rights to strike which came into force in under Sunak and the EU is currently considering a response to as they believe it may be in breach of the Brexit agreement. Maybe you should have been a bit more concerned about workers rights when you voted Brexit.

fernandopartridge

In the interest of balance there’s no suggestion in the article that they intend to not increase workers rights just some aspects will be in consultation with industry. Fact is Labour are still going to improve workers rights and apparently in the first 100 days. What you personally won’t admit also is that some of what labour has to reverse is a result of rights lost by Brexit, especially rights to strike which came into force in under Sunak and the EU is currently considering a response to as they believe it may be in breach of the Brexit agreement. Maybe you should have been a bit more concerned about workers rights when you voted Brexit.

Shut up you Tory idiot. The point is that once again Kier Starmer has reneged on something he'd said he'd do. He is not to be trusted. There need not be 'consultation with business' - such conversations are just an invitation to water things down.

Brighton Sky Blue

The irony being that it’s very difficult for workers to gain collective negotiation rights with their employers thanks to decades of increasingly restrictive trade union laws. How many anti union laws did the Blair and Brown governments repeal? None.

So I remain unconvinced that Starmer will.

skybluetony176

Shut up you Tory idiot. The point is that once again Kier Starmer has reneged on something he'd said he'd do. He is not to be trusted. There need not be 'consultation with business' - such conversations are just an invitation to water things down.
Stating facts makes you an idiot. Interesting. Unfortunately for you pretty much every trade union has spent the last few years pointing out those facts. What has Starmer actually promised on this? I can see they’ve done a paper on workers rights but I can’t see that they’ve actually announced policy other than to repeal Sunak’s Minimum Service Laws in the first 100 days. That’s the law they brought in because you trusted them by voting leave. Hey, sounds like Starmer is your man.

hamertime

So. Much. Control.

There is nothing to exploit, all vehicles are checked for illegal goods at the port as normal.

The checks are purely to check the paper trail at the clearing agent which is something the EU has insisted on not the UK.

The checks couldn’t be done at the port as it would get clogged up.

Brighton Sky Blue

There is nothing to exploit, all vehicles are checked for illegal goods at the port as normal.

The checks are purely to check the paper trail at the clearing agent which is something the EU has insisted on not the UK.

The checks couldn’t be done at the port as it would get clogged up.
The EU wouldn't have to insist on it if we hadn't left.

Users who are viewing this thread