Does Anyone Remember 'Happy' and His Regular Coach to Away Games? (1 Viewer)

Samo

I say! You bounder! Nobody knows who you are either and you're certainly not a Gentleman! Pistols at dawn?

Last edited:

Astute

We should all get together and try and guess who is who. Three of us would be easy. Me because of my size. Samo with the bolts in his neck. Fern with the 'I love SISU' tattoo on his head ;)

Macca

Covs hooligan element picked back up a bit in the 00's. Man city away 2001, Portsmouths revenge trip at home 2002(?), cardiff at home, Wigan believe it or not 2003

Good clip on Youtube of Wigan walking up Gosford Street smashing the place up unopposed. I think we are guilty of some rose tinted glasses here. Seem to remember most mobs coming up here and taking liberties really

skybluejelly

Good clip on Youtube of Wigan walking up Gosford Street smashing the place up unopposed. I think we are guilty of some rose tinted glasses here. Seem to remember most mobs coming up here and taking liberties really

How the hell can you tell if far Gosford street has been smashed up.... It always looks that way

fernandopartridge

Wigan smashed up a pub with a few drinkers in. Big deal.

King of the Lesbians

I remember the violence in the '80s.
I particularly remember 1 night match against Wolves (I think) when I was walking up from Poole Meadow and attacked by 1/2 a dozen or so Coventry fans before they spotted my scarf.
6 or 7 people vs 1 skinny 15 year old. Warms your fucking heart doesn't it...

_brian_

I once looked menacingly at a Leicester fan! Needless to say, she stayed well clear of me that day! It's all just memories now, though! LOL!!!

Astute

Are you getting on a bit as your memory seems to be failing you :)

I suppose if we went to Wigan and smashed a pub up we would be kings of Wigan? Most of what went on never happened there so it is no surprise nobody was there.

The Gentleman

Didn't Coventry return the favour with 4 times as many lads the year after and they could muster nothing in reply. It was all about being in the right (or wrong place depending on how you looked at it) place at the right time.

That Wigan group were just a bunch of divs, in tracky bottoms some of them.

Anyone know the full story behind Pompeys visit to HR? Heard a Pompey lad got really badly injured by a cov lad in a night out, Blackpool or somewhere so they took a big group down to cov the next time we played looking for revenge. Not sure how true that is

Monners

That Wigan group were just a bunch of divs, in tracky bottoms some of them.

Anyone know the full story behind Pompeys visit to HR? Heard a Pompey lad got really badly injured by a cov lad in a night out, Blackpool or somewhere so they took a big group down to cov the next time we played looking for revenge. Not sure how true that is

Apparently many years back a Pompey fan got a kicking from some Cov lads in Whitby (I think) and lost an eye , so it was supposed to be about that. However, a Cov mate of mine who works in Pompey asked a few of the known lads (if thats the correct expression) and they said it was nothing to do with that - they just fancied having a go at Cov because they hadn't had the chance before.

Macca

The will was there and some tidy characters but the numbers never really made HR a feared place to go. Now old and past it feel quite proud that non city fans talk about how much they enjoyed coming to us and that we were a sound bunch

Astute

The will was there and some tidy characters but the numbers never really made HR a feared place to go. Now old and past it feel quite proud that non city fans talk about how much they enjoyed coming to us and that we were a sound bunch

I don't think I am too old but my body is starting to tell me differently :D

Saying that, will be getting back in the ring when my youngest lad is old enough to go. Older than a few of the grandparents that pick kids up so need to do something :(

play_in_skyblue_stripes

Last hurrah for Cov really. Few jailed there haven't really bothered since.

Yes the Maine road stuff from supposedly Coventry fans was terrible.
I was stuck outsides afterwards with a lot of Mancs and they were baying for revenge/blood. I lived there and also now in Manchester.

I guess Manchester City would laugh at us now. The two clubs have gone in totally different directions.

Last edited:

oscillatewildly

Yes the Maine road stuff from supposedly Coventry fans was terrible.
I was stuck outsides afterwards with a lot of Mancs and they were baying for revenge/blood. I lived there and also now in Manchester.

I guess Manchester City would laugh at us now. The two clubs have gone in totally different directions.
Not entirely different directions. Both clubs still have plenty of empty seats on view for their "home" games.

SkyBlueSid

I remember Happy very clearly. Very early 70s, around the time we got into Europe, travelling on RHMS coaches from Pool Meadow. He was a larger than life character and looked out for the youngsters (which I was then - a long time ago!). Seem to recall he had a high-pitched voice. He seemed a good guy and it is sad to hear that he is no longer with us.

I remember Happy (Dave Kelly) from those days too. I used to go to all the away games in the 70s and he was always there, squeezed into that sheepskin coat, with a big grin on his face. He did have a high pitched voice and never had a bad word for anyone, really easy-going guy.

I used to referee and remember when he started. He passed his exam, but wasn't really assertive enough for senior games. But he loved doing kids and schools games and the kids loved him. He absolutely loved doing these games, many of which he would have done for nothing as you were lucky to get bus fare for doing schools games.

Sadly it is true that he passed away about 5-6 years ago. He would have only been about 50ish. He is remembered on a plaque in the Memorial Garden at the Ricoh, so I presume his ashes were scattered there.

BurbageSkyBlues

I remember Happy (Dave Kelly) from those days too. I used to go to all the away games in the 70s and he was always there, squeezed into that sheepskin coat, with a big grin on his face. He did have a high pitched voice and never had a bad word for anyone, really easy-going guy.

I used to referee and remember when he started. He passed his exam, but wasn't really assertive enough for senior games. But he loved doing kids and schools games and the kids loved him. He absolutely loved doing these games, many of which he would have done for nothing as you were lucky to get bus fare for doing schools games.

Sadly it is true that he passed away about 5-6 years ago. He would have only been about 50ish. He is remembered on a plaque in the Memorial Garden at the Ricoh, so I presume his ashes were scattered there.

RIP 'Happy'

Never knew his real name, or really spoke to him, but remember always seeing and hearing him in the West End. If I recall correctly, he was a well built lad, not particularly tall, with a long coat. He had a larger than life face, with a grin to match. Often saw him at away matches. One of those people you always seemed to see, when you went to the match, wherever it was.

thaiskyblue

RIP 'Happy'

Never knew his real name, or really spoke to him, but remember always seeing and hearing him in the West End. If I recall correctly, he was a well built lad, not particularly tall, with a long coat. He had a larger than life face, with a grin to match. Often saw him at away matches. One of those people you always seemed to see, when you went to the match, wherever it was.
That was Dave Kelly, Burbage, proper character, r.i.p.

Users who are viewing this thread