Does knowledge have a gender? (1 Viewer)

Gazolba

I used to watch University Challenge years ago when Bamber Gascoigne was the question-master. I've watched a few more recent episodes via Youtube and always wondered why there are so many more male contestants than women. Personally, I think they should mandate that each team be 2 women and 2 men. But this article goes further, suggesting that knowledge itself is not gender-neutral:
'Gender neutral' questions for quiz show

pastythegreat

There's is no such thing as gender neutral. It's a scientific fact that women are better than men at certain things and men are better than women at others. People that think we're two of the same couldn't be any more off the mark.
Don't confuse this as a chance to have a pop at women because it isn't. We're wired differently, we each have our strengths and weaknesses. It's Genetics

Gazolba

There's is no such thing as gender neutral. It's a scientific fact that women are better than men at certain things and men are better than women at others. People that think we're two of the same couldn't be any more off the mark.
Don't confuse this as a chance to have a pop at women because it isn't. We're wired differently, we each have our strengths and weaknesses. It's Genetics
Name one thing that all men are better at than all women, or all women are better at than all men (other than giving birth).
I'm pretty sure there are plenty of female marathon runners, 100mm sprinters or chess players that could beat any man on this forum.
So what you mean is some women are better at than some men or some men better at than some women.
But you could also say some men are better than other men and some women better than other women.
So all men are not the same amongst men and all women not the same amongst women.
Some men are 'wired differently' to other men and some women are 'wired differently' to other women.
So there is no difference either between or across the sexes.
What I think they mean by 'gender neutral' in the article is 'not favouring one gender over the other'. The question is does the way a question is asked favour one gender or the other or do some areas of knowledge favour one gender over the other.

Gint11

One thing women can’t do is take their own advice. For example, my wife is constantly telling me how men can’t multitask but then continually gets upset when I don’t listen to her while watching TV.

If you do any research into Nueroscience then technically no one can actually properly multitask. The way the brain functions along with other areas such as your amygdala you can’t efficiently multi task.

shmmeee

There's no such thing as gender. It's a social construct used to describe stereotypical behaviour of the sexes.

And there's no such thing as "boy brains" and "girl brains" either. We aren't "wired differently", males tend to have more examples at the extremes such as mental illness and genius, but it's two overlapping graphs not discrete sections.

If you do any research into Nueroscience then technically no one can actually properly multitask. The way the brain functions along with other areas such as your amygdala you can’t efficiently multi task.

Much like computers we time slice rather than multitask and much like computers there's an overhead to switching tasks. Unlike computers we don't have dual core brains.

Marty

There's no such thing as gender. It's a social construct used to describe stereotypical behaviour of the sexes.

And there's no such thing as "boy brains" and "girl brains" either. We aren't "wired differently", males tend to have more examples at the extremes such as mental illness and genius, but it's two overlapping graphs not discrete sections.

Much like computers we time slice rather than multitask and much like computers there's an overhead to switching tasks. Unlike computers we don't have dual core brains.

Could you explain this statement or at least provide some info? I thought gender was based on your reproduction organs?

pastythegreat

No such thing as Gender?? I have a penis. Therefore I'm a male. My gender is male.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Nick

Administrator
Nah, your sex is male.
giphy.gif

Gazolba

No such thing as Gender?? I have a penis. Therefore I'm a male. My gender is male.

<snip>

In Latin they have masculine, feminine and neuter.
I believe there's also a tribe in Africa that has three genders.
These days, 'sex' seems to be what you are, and gender seems to be what you 'identify as'.

hill83

There are many cultures around the world past and present that don't subscribe to there being strictly 2 genders.

Interactive Map: Gender-Diverse Cultures

I read this the other week.

Obviously as demonstrated above people get upset and angry about it, but it is what it is, I tend to not worry about it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread