Don't Plan Ahead Anymore (1 Viewer)

bringbackrattles

It must be an age thing but I don't plan ahead anymore as much as I used to do. I used to plan holidays, concerts, book tickets way ahead,but now I don't bother. The lads I go to matches with have sorted their season tickets out for the next campaign, and another pal books a concert for next year. But I take things day by day,week by week, a year ahead makes me think why bother ? I'm not miserable in fact I'm happy go lucky and upbeat, but my mind tells me to stay in the moment. My sister is the same and says its because we've lost so many family and friends suddenly over the years, and its made us more wary etc. Anybody else like this ?

jimmyhillsfanclub

I've gone the other way BBR......I used to live life in the moment, for the moment & often act on a whim.....

But since having kids, I've become far more organised & dull.....especially with holiday planning as its dog-eat-dog trying to book for the peaks of school hols.

I've even got a cab booked already for a night on the liverpool tiles later tonight....

Covstu

I think it depends on what it is. For holidays as I have kids and a wife who are stuck to school holidays we have to plan in advance so usually we have something booked by December/January for the summer break.
In terms of my working week, this is planned two weeks ahead but weekends are usually week on week (obviously weather dependant!).

I must admit I like a bit of structure on day to day stuff but equally don't have a meltdown if things don't go to plan. I do hate people that are late and/or cancel last minute!

bringbackrattles

Fair play to those who do plan ahead. I used to be the same but not that much anymore. My youngest son who's in his 30's does my head in at times, he strolls up an hour late and lives day by day. He can sleep in when he's supposed to be somewhere, very laid back. Then again he's a cannabis addict ! He should have been born in the 60's, living in a commune !

Grendel

I’ve akways been like it - last minute holidays, shop every day, haven’t got season ticket yet etc.

Nick

Administrator
I've gone the other way BBR......I used to live life in the moment, for the moment & often act on a whim.....

But since having kids, I've become far more organised & dull.....especially with holiday planning as its dog-eat-dog trying to book for the peaks of school hols.

I've even got a cab booked already for a night on the liverpool tiles later tonight....

Same as me really, now I am all grown up I like to have everything organised and know what I am doing.

Gazolba

I only plan ahead what I need to plan ahead. Mostly holidays where if you don't book the hotels early they are full or you can't get the rooms you want.
I try to shop for Birthday and Christmas presents early but usually procrastinate and end up scrambling at the last minute.
As you get older, you realize there is less time left to plan for.
Judging by the junk mail I get, I ought to start planning for my 'final arrangements'.

Terry Gibson's perm

I have a holiday booked but can’t remember when it is I think it’s October, I used to plan for things now I plod along a day at a time and never know the date just the day.

Gazolba

The problem when you get older is you make a plan and write it down. Then you forget where you put the piece of paper.
Saving it on the computer makes no difference since I forget what I called the file and what folder I saved it in.

Astute

A couple of years ago I lost 6 members of my family in less than 12 months. 5 of them were close family. And only 2 of them were over 65. The youngest was a week before he was 2. They counted it as cot death. It hits home how fragile life really is.

I plan things like holidays. But only where and when. Then we just go with the flow. But the rest of the time we do what we fancy at the time. We do things that give the children memories. We had the last two in our 40's. We are older than some grandparents that pick up kids from school. But in our heads we are at least as young as them.

Live for today. You never know which day will be your last. Never take arguments to bed. Don't argue about silly things. And the best times are the unplanned times.

Ashdown

All that said and sad as that last life experience was for Astute, I read down the deaths in our local rag every week and many are over 90 now, so you have to be fairly careful with the YOLO attitude or you will just end up penniless and a burden on society in no time ! I'm talking about spending and finance mainly, sometimes it would be handy to know when you were going to depart this mortal life !

Covstu

Not as deep and sad as the previous posts but its like a night out. You plan it to the nth degree, it usually falls flat on its face or you just meet up with friends and take it from there and its usually a great night.

Astute

All that said and sad as that last life experience was for Astute, I read down the deaths in our local rag every week and many are over 90 now, so you have to be fairly careful with the YOLO attitude or you will just end up penniless and a burden on society in no time ! I'm talking about spending and finance mainly, sometimes it would be handy to know when you were going to depart this mortal life !
Fully agree.

I am packing up work in 10 years when my youngest two are 18 and 19. The 3 youngest will be left with the house we live in and we want to travel for as many of our remaining days we can. Have been saving up for years to do it. If anything happens to me the family will be well looked after.

But the older you get the less money you need. A 60 year old should still be able to have fun. A 90 year old needs a comfy seat, pair of slippers and a pipe. The main aim should be have a property paid off and no debt before retirement. Everything else is a bonus.

bringbackrattles

I said I don't plan ahead anymore and take things daily instead. But I can't wait for this Saturdays game and to meet the lads in the pub and to get the jukebox blasting. Going to be a good day. You wait the team will go and spoil it all !

bringbackrattles

No not this week, anyway its traditional for us to win our last game, we used to need to to stay up every year !
This is new for us as you say it used to be the other way around. We should be okay, but when you're a long suffering City fan there's always that little thought in your head that it'll go tits up !

Users who are viewing this thread