dreading the start of the season... (1 Viewer)

hamil99

Facebook User
For the first time ever I'm dreading the start of the season. Depleted squad, no signings to improve the team, just replace what we lost... dark times, dark times!

in Thorn we must trust, as there is little else...

Nonleagueherewecome

If we don't sell anyone we might just be ok. Then pray for a takeover before SISU cash in on Bigirimana and Thomas. Need a goalscorer though. Badly. Just pray that ROD is GOD. Or after a lovely finish tonight, maybe Wilson will surprise us?

keef

For once im not dreading the start of the season.
Every year its been all hype and new signings, mostly shit ones and the proclamation of the new manager being the gifted one to take us up. False promises about investment in the team etc etc etc.
This season we all expect us to struggle. We may like ATs style of play but no one is bigging us up. Yet we have some talented youngsters, 2 highly regarded keepers and a manager who seems to know how to get people playing and wanting to play.
Sure we may struggle for goals now we have no MK but you can never really tell until the season has got going as to who will come good. The style we play creates chances so im expecting someone to find the net pretty much every game. Its a strange league and im not writing us off....until xmas.... alright October.....August......

Macca

The season starts as usual with a huge amount of uncertainty which is not to say we can't do well.

Unproven manager, reliance on a second string of unproven youngsters if injuries hit, yet unproven strikers.

It could all click, it could all fall apart but thats what makes it interesting

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
CCFC would be too predictable if if weren't for times like these!! :D PUSB!!

covcity4life

For once im not dreading the start of the season.
Every year its been all hype and new signings, mostly shit ones and the proclamation of the new manager being the gifted one to take us up. False promises about investment in the team etc etc etc.
This season we all expect us to struggle. We may like ATs style of play but no one is bigging us up. Yet we have some talented youngsters, 2 highly regarded keepers and a manager who seems to know how to get people playing and wanting to play.
Sure we may struggle for goals now we have no MK but you can never really tell until the season has got going as to who will come good. The style we play creates chances so im expecting someone to find the net pretty much every game. Its a strange league and im not writing us off....until xmas.... alright October.....August......

this is how i feel too

smileycov

Facebook User
Well i am looking forward to it, but in a strange way for the reasons you say makes you not dread it!! I think all you have listed makes me feel excited, some of the youngsters look okay, and AT will certainly get any talent out they may have. Happy days............no money, small squad, grass roots footie it is then :D

Sky Blue Sheepy

Yeah weirdly enough I'm not too worried. I'm not expecting us to set the league alight but, with the lack of expectations, I think we might surprise a few people.
Bring 'em on!

shmmeee

There's a lot to be down about that's for sure, but I'm excited for two main reasons:

- Thorn's playing style. I look forward to being entertained at the Ricoh at last
- The kids. Sounds like we've got another two or three coming through this season, and no disrespect to defenders, but it's nice to see some midfielders and strikers coming through, tend to be a bit more entertaining.

Still can't avoid the fact that we've lost the only goalscorer we had mind, a loanee would really make me optimistic about this season. I said at the end of last season I'd be happy if we kept the same team, with the kids in for Gunnar and Murphy in for Westwood just leaves us a striker short IMO.

procdoc

for once I'm not dreading the start of the season but being realistic I'd be surprised if we took any points from the first 2 games

SkyBlue_Bear83

The only thing that irritates me is if Thorn was given the backing that other managers have had i.e Adams signing Kyle and Mckenzie, Coleman signing Eastwood for 1 mill +, Boothroyd signing King, Carsley on high wages also signing Juke for close to 1 mill. If AT was given similar backing I believe we could do something in this league under him. I don't expect us to get relegated or be in danger of relegation this year and am looking forward to seeing some good football and youth players. I think we can finish any where from 10-17th as this league is so unpredictable.

My other concern is that AT may walk away if he is not backed by the owners.

smileycov

Facebook User
for once I'm not dreading the start of the season but being realistic I'd be surprised if we took any points from the first 2 games

I personally think that playing Festyer, (who will be up there i should think) first game is an advantage. They surely will still be gelling. Also blues are in disaray. i am going for 4-6 points to start with :D

Covstu

I am dreading this year as i think we are in big trouble, there is no sign of us getting anyone is (big name or not) and we have let alot of key players go. The 'kids' everyone is optimisitc about, i just do not see anyone of any real quality apart from Thomas but even he is very unproven. I guess this is the rules when you support CCFC, its another season of uncertainty but this season there is no light at the end of the tunnel unless they sort the management of the club out.

Doom and Gloom

lesturd

With a fully fit first team I think we can give a game to most teams in this division. However, as we all know, we hava a squad full of injury prone players and once the inevitable injuries kick in I can really see us struggling to create and score goals. I think we need another striker and a seasoned midfielder to keep our head above water this year.

smileycov

Facebook User
Covstu, Gael Bigirami is a talent. and we have only lost 3 "big names" 2 of which posistions have been replaced.
Don't worry be happy

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
ok am going to play devils advocate .......... (personally I think we need a couple of attacking players and a creative midfielder but thats to strenthen the depth as much as anything)

We go on about the players we have lost ............ now those were the same players that got us to the dizzy heights of 18th the past few seasons would they ? You can argue that we got that high because of them of course.... but they contributed to the lack of success just as much as any other players we had and have now jumped ship. It may be that some of the current squad step up to the plate this season - lets see a few real games before we write the team off

Guess what I am saying that whilst i recognise the youthfulness of the squad, the unknown element of whether the younger players can do it, the seeming lack of depth, but why are we writing us off before we have kicked a ball? Think we need to do all we can to be positive about the team - not blindly of course - but a positive atmosphere from the fans will help not hinder the team. There have been young teams before that have achieved good things! Young players play without fear maybe that will be a strength this year

Yes be apprehensive, nervous ...... but dread thats a bit harsh

Last edited:

dojer

I'm really not looking forward to this season, we really need to sign somebody to fill the holes in the team, preferably a midfielder or two and maybe a striker as well. Hopefully Thorn's taking his time to pick someone out from nowhere but given the level that other Championship clubs have invested in their teams, (even Crystal Palace and Watford) I think we're in line for the season that someone like Preston had last year who seemed to be in a similar situation. Also despite Thorn's playing style, King scored the majority of the goals for us when we were putting in good performances, so unless we can get a finisher in then I think the story of the first 10-20 games will be played well but couldn't score. I'd love to be proven wrong and for our young players to really push through but I think that it's dangerous to their development to put so much pressure on youth with the season of struggle that I see coming.

Nonleagueherewecome

The only thing that irritates me is if Thorn was given the backing that other managers have had i.e Adams signing Kyle and Mckenzie, Coleman signing Eastwood for 1 mill +, Boothroyd signing King, Carsley on high wages also signing Juke for close to 1 mill. If AT was given similar backing I believe we could do something in this league under him. I don't expect us to get relegated or be in danger of relegation this year and am looking forward to seeing some good football and youth players. I think we can finish any where from 10-17th as this league is so unpredictable.

My other concern is that AT may walk away if he is not backed by the owners.

Yeah, this is what gets my goat. Not to mention that it was heavily implied that AT would have the same budget as Boothroyd. At least until the bulk of season tickets were sold :(

I'm as optimistic as I can be, and really do rate Gael and Christie highly. But the reality is that at some point this season we will be fielding half-a-dozen teenagers. Those teams are always full of potential, but near the bottom of the table. Injuries could decimate us. Indeed it would seem that they already are, as I think a fit Deegan was crucial to our balance.

We are absolutely crying out for a striker in particular-Platt didn't even look Southern League quality last night, and ROD was nothing like the player I saw at Nuneaton. Lukas is probably a "1 in 3" man at best. Whilst I think King was a bit over-rated, there isn't a goalscorer even close to his ability at the club. We'll really need McSheffrey to fire in the goals or we'll be in serious trouble.

Best case scenario is probably a Watford under Mackay last year or Palace under Warnock-type season with the adversity strengthening the camp and the youngsters surprising everyone. Worst case is probably Preston or even Southampton the year they went down.

lcfcbob

sorry to pop in to your forums ,but i work with a few cov fans and we enjoy some good banter ,and every year we have a small bet as to which team will finish higher, this season though i have no takers and some have given up there season tickets after 20 yrs, i hear things are not good ,
to my point of being here i want you to lose every game on the pitch as a real lcfc fan ,but i would not wish on anyone their club being f#cked up by men in offices,so i hope your youngsters work out well and we can resume our rivalry,we are doing well at the moment but as a fan how do we know it will last? owners come and go but the life blood is the fans and they will never destroy that so i know you will all be ok over there, see you first game :claping hands:

shmmeee

Yeah, this is what gets my goat. Not to mention that it was heavily implied that AT would have the same budget as Boothroyd. At least until the bulk of season tickets were sold :(

I'm as optimistic as I can be, and really do rate Gael and Christie highly. But the reality is that at some point this season we will be fielding half-a-dozen teenagers. Those teams are always full of potential, but near the bottom of the table. Injuries could decimate us. Indeed it would seem that they already are, as I think a fit Deegan was crucial to our balance.

We are absolutely crying out for a striker in particular-Platt didn't even look Southern League quality last night, and ROD was nothing like the player I saw at Nuneaton. Lukas is probably a "1 in 3" man at best. Whilst I think King was a bit over-rated, there isn't a goalscorer even close to his ability at the club. We'll really need McSheffrey to fire in the goals or we'll be in serious trouble.

Best case scenario is probably a Watford under Mackay last year or Palace under Warnock-type season with the adversity strengthening the camp and the youngsters surprising everyone. Worst case is probably Preston or even Southampton the year they went down.

It really could go one of two ways. Anything is possible in this game and if a couple of the youngsters step up like Cameron and Clarke did last season, and our spine (Murphy, Turner, Cranie, Clingan, Jutkiewicz) stays fit we'll be OK. But those are two big ifs. Alternatively the youngsters could be nowhere near ready and we get a couple of serious injuries. Then we're screwed.

I REALLY hope Thorn has a surprise Prem loan in his bag, someone of similar quality to the lad from Liverpool that turned us down would be perfect.

I think this is a really big season for the likes of Hussey, Clarke and Cameron. We really need them to be Championship players this year.

Gray

i'm looking forward to it just for the fact that i've missed going up there week in week out for the last 3 months, and my hairs growing back, also looking forward to seeing my hero josh ruffels fulfill his potential...GO JOSH!!

BackRoomRummermill

It is only the first game but against LCFC so it is bragging rights , we normally do well first game or two then drop off.

We will beat them 2 0 with a few surprises. They have too many individuals in the LCFC team that have not gelled. ( and big heads)

I predict LCFC having a difficult start to the season then turning good.

I predict we will run our arse off and be a decent team that surprises a few but not in the running (injuries etc). I would be happy with that.

You never really know what happens in football especially with a siege mentality

I never dread football games or results, I like AT and he has nothing to prove which to me is a definate advantage.

PUSB

Kuklinski

Never underestimate the importance of a player feeling wanted by the manager. It may sound daft but take Hussey for example, he had some poor games and was then basically ostracised by Boothroyd, however, knowing Thorn was the man who scouted him and also has so much faith in him, he could be a different player altogether this season. Only time will tell, but from the few games we saw under Thorn last season, the players did appear to be playing with a lot more belief.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Never underestimate the importance of a player feeling wanted by the manager. It may sound daft but take Hussey for example, he had some poor games and was then basically ostracised by Boothroyd, however, knowing Thorn was the man who scouted him and also has so much faith in him, he could be a different player altogether this season. Only time will tell, but from the few games we saw under Thorn last season, the players did appear to be playing with a lot more belief.
Well Hussey was injured most of the time under Boothroyd he was only coming back to match fitness when Thorn took charge so to say Bootroyd ostracised the player is unfair, I seem to remember Boothroyd talking highly of Hussey quite a few times.

sky blue john

ok am going to play devils advocate .......... (personally I think we need a couple of attacking players and a creative midfielder but thats to strenthen the depth as much as anything)

We go on about the players we have lost ............ now those were the same players that got us to the dizzy heights of 18th the past few seasons would they ? You can argue that we got that high because of them of course.... but they contributed to the lack of success just as much as any other players we had and have now jumped ship. It may be that some of the current squad step up to the plate this season - lets see a few real games before we write the team off

Guess what I am saying that whilst i recognise the youthfulness of the squad, the unknown element of whether the younger players can do it, the seeming lack of depth, but why are we writing us off before we have kicked a ball? Think we need to do all we can to be positive about the team - not blindly of course - but a positive atmosphere from the fans will help not hinder the team. There have been young teams before that have achieved good things! Young players play without fear maybe that will be a strength this year

Yes be apprehensive, nervous ...... but dread thats a bit harsh

Wise words OSB :D
We will definately know after the first two games if we will be able to hold our own.
The biggest problem I see is as soon as we get two or three injuries to the starting eleven.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I have no worries at all! Just be bleedin' positive, cheer the lads on, lift them when they get down, and we'll be fine! C'MON!!!!!!!!!! PUSB!!!!!!!!!
.... yellow card to all the negative posters!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread