Drinking at football (1 Viewer)

stupot07

Just picking up on the point Italia made about drunken football fans.

I really think its time the FA had a rethink about drinking in the stands at the football. You can drink in your seat the rugby, cricket, tennis, ice hockey, etc, but you can't at the football.

There is absolutely no valid reason to why drinking in your seat at the football is not allowed.

People will argue about drunken yobs making trouble and potential for violence, but that doesn't stack up. This tiny cohort of 'fans' go to the pub to preload, down a few bevvies pre game in the concourse, and down 1-2 at half time. I've seen them many a time stood in the concourse drinking whilst the football is on. In fact I've seen a fair few ccfc and away fans downing cans of beer/cider in the car park before going in.

The ban on drinking in your seat encourages binge drinking, and thus those that do pre load, end up being far drunker than they would be if they were able to go to the footy, have a beer in their seat and take their time and relax.

There will always be idiots, but I don't believe drinking in the seat will lead to any more trouble, if anything it might have the opposite affect.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

bringbackrattles

Just picking up on the point Italia made about drunken football fans.

I really think its time the FA had a rethink about drinking in the stands at the football. You can drink in your seat the rugby, cricket, tennis, ice hockey, etc, but you can't at the football.

There is absolutely no valid reason to why drinking in your seat at the football is not allowed.

People will argue about drunken yobs making trouble and potential for violence, but that doesn't stack up. This tiny cohort of 'fans' go to the pub to preload, down a few bevvies pre game in the concourse, and down 1-2 at half time. I've seen them many a time stood in the concourse drinking whilst the football is on. In fact I've seen a fair few ccfc and away fans downing cans of beer/cider in the car park before going in.

The ban on drinking in your seat encourages binge drinking, and thus those that do pre load, end up being far drunker than they would be if they were able to go to the footy, have a beer in their seat and take their time and relax.

There will always be idiots, but I don't believe drinking in the seat will lead to any more trouble, if anything it might have the opposite affect.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
A mate of mine used to go to the cricket to watch Warwickshire in Brum. He said you can drink all day there and many get plastered and the more sober cricket fans dislike that,and many stopped going because of it. In fact my pal who likes a drink himself got fed up with blokes getting gobby etc there, but you don't hear about that do you ?

ccfc92

A mate of mine used to go to the cricket to watch Warwickshire in Brum. He said you can drink all day there and many get plastered and the more sober cricket fans dislike that,and many stopped going because of it. In fact my pal who likes a drink himself got fed up with blokes getting gobby etc there, but you don't hear about that do you ?

Could always introduce designated alcohol areas? Obviously keep the JSB area alcohol free etc.

I'm always amazed they let people out for fags at HT, security and all that.

Terry Gibson's perm

Can't see drinking being in the stands for a long time, as a non drinker I'm not too worried but would get fed up having to keep letting people past for a beer or a piss, at least at the cricket the space between the seats is good enough so you don't skyways need to get up.

bringbackrattles

Could always introduce designated alcohol areas? Obviously keep the JSB area alcohol free etc.

I'm always amazed they let people out for fags at HT, security and all that.
With packets of ten fags now gone and the cost of twenty and baccy not cheap,next season they'll be hardly anybody smoking !

ccfc92

Can't see drinking being in the stands for a long time, as a non drinker I'm not too worried but would get fed up having to keep letting people past for a beer or a piss, at least at the cricket the space between the seats is good enough so you don't skyways need to get up.

Solution....

56f23135f3287.image.jpg

Nick

Administrator
Think it depends on the people, I'd love to sit and have a beer on a nice day watching the football.

At the minute at games like said you have people banging down pints to make it to the game and then banging 2 down at half time.

If people really want to get drunk and be twats, I think they will anyway whether they drink it in the stands or not.

Sick Boy

It seems to work in Italy without any problems and the fans over there are much worse behaved than in England. There isn't quite the same drinking culture though and there are always 1 or 2 in the England unable to handle their beer and ruin it for the others.

Covstu

Think it depends on the people, I'd love to sit and have a beer on a nice day watching the football.

At the minute at games like said you have people banging down pints to make it to the game and then banging 2 down at half time.

If people really want to get drunk and be twats, I think they will anyway whether they drink it in the stands or not.
But drinking in stands should help this, would stop the binge drinking before and at half time as they know they can take it to the stands rather than throw it down their necks. Ultimately probably drink the same but over a longer period.
I go to england cricket regularly and a lot are attended by football fans who have a big big drink over the 6 or so hours. Rarely any trouble and all out for a good day. The tribalism in football will always be an issue

SkyblueBazza

You could easily find somewhere to be alone...there's loads of empty seats

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

SkyblueBazza

But drinking in stands should help this, would stop the binge drinking before and at half time as they know they can take it to the stands rather than throw it down their necks. Ultimately probably drink the same but over a longer period.
I go to england cricket regularly and a lot are attended by football fans who have a big big drink over the 6 or so hours. Rarely any trouble and all out for a good day. The tribalism in football will always be an issue
I think that would work - but only if the club's didn't hike the prices up...& have more bars serving. Like Wembley & Twickenham - there are loads of bars so long waits aren't the norm. They do however hike up the prices...which is why many choose to start early down the pub! It ultimately loses them money!

Covstu

I think that would work - but only if the club's didn't hike the prices up...& have more bars serving. Like Wembley & Twickenham - there are loads of bars so long waits aren't the norm. They do however hike up the prices...which is why many choose to start early down the pub! It ultimately loses them money!

Agree but a ground like ours is fine just need more bodies. Equally you may not get the mad rush a half time as people may nip down after 5 mins in second half.

Users who are viewing this thread