Dup coalition (1 Viewer)

Sky Blue Pete

Theresa May is either corrupt or inept

As well as these things they are anti austerity! I really think the only stable thing to do is another election

probably repeating old news but in case people don't know yet;
Two points;
-The DUP can't vote on English laws (due to the EVEL law passed in 2015) this meant the tories only have a majority when it comes to Brexit and the DUP promised a soft Brexit in their manifesto (due to the border with Ireland). This means the tories can't vote through their manifesto without the consent of other parties MPs (and it looks like a lot of their own MPs will vote against anyway).
-if it becomes evident they can't pass bills then there will be a vote of no confidence and there will be another election (hence Boris getting ready to oppose her)
-technically there can't be a coalition with the DUP due to the peace agreement and our promise of neutrality, so there is a "supply of consent"- so the tories are a minority government.
I share this because I want people to carry on their fight for a labour government.

Copied and Pasted!! Original post by Miyamoto Musashi so credit to them.

Last edited:

MAFF

coalition of chaos with some terrorist sympathisers.

sure dup will demand lots of investment into northern ireland so TM will plant a magic money tree over there.
02-gunmen_1364649i.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-06-10 at 11.34.52.png
    Screen Shot 2017-06-10 at 11.34.52.png
    604.6 KB · Views: 9

MAFF

There was talk it might contravene the Good Friday agreement - is there any truth in it?
Sec of State has to remain neutral as they will converse with unionists and republicans in the assembly. could throw that into jeopardy.

chiefdave

There was talk it might contravene the Good Friday agreement - is there any truth in it?
There should also be concern that even if it doesn't technically it may well cause issues to rear up in Ireland. Look at the history of Ireland and you'll see what's happened when the serving government has sided with the loyalists. Its not good.

Grendel

Theresa May is with corrupt or inept

As well as these things they are anti austerity! I really think the only stable thing to do is another election

probably repeating old news but in case people don't know yet;
Two points;
-The DUP can't vote on English laws (due to the EVEL law passed in 2015) this meant the tories only have a majority when it comes to Brexit and the DUP promised a soft Brexit in their manifesto (due to the border with Ireland). This means the tories can't vote through their manifesto without the consent of other parties MPs (and it looks like a lot of their own MPs will vote against anyway).
-if it becomes evident they can't pass bills then there will be a vote of no confidence and there will be another election (hence Boris getting ready to oppose her)
-technically there can't be a coalition with the DUP due to the peace agreement and our promise of neutrality, so there is a "supply of consent"- so the tories are a minority government.
I share this because I want people to carry on their fight for a labour government.

Copied and Pasted!! Original post by Miyamoto Musashi so credit to them.

EVEL won't stop any laws as described above being passed.

chiefdave

I don't think you can form an opinion on the DUP based on past terrorist connections. Although it is right to point out the huge hypocrisy given the way the Tories campaigned against Corbyn. I'm more concerned about what they stand for currently.

Anti abortion, such restricted conditions that a women is allowed an abortion the UN has attempted to intervene
Anti LGBT, they've repeatedly used petitions of concern to block any progress on LGBT rights
Climate change denial
Creationist, they believe creationism should be taught in schools instead of evolution
Want to bring back the death penalty.

Otis

sure dup will demand lots of investment into northern ireland so TM will plant a magic money tree over there.

You would have thought he would just be happy being manager of Blackburn wouldn't you without getting involved in all this politics makarky.

Otis

I don't think you can form an opinion on the DUP based on past terrorist connections. Although it is right to point out the huge hypocrisy given the way the Tories campaigned against Corbyn. I'm more concerned about what they stand for currently.

Anti abortion, such restricted conditions that a women is allowed an abortion the UN has attempted to intervene
Anti LGBT, they've repeatedly used petitions of concern to block any progress on LGBT rights
Climate change denial
Creationist, they believe creationism should be taught in schools instead of evolution
Want to bring back the death penalty.
Yeah, but then what about all their bad policies?

Grendel

Because. ..?

It's British Law rather than English?

Otherwise, are you doing that thing where you state opinion/speculation as fact?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

The conservatives have a massive majority of English Mps

Grendel

That's not an answer though is it?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Yes it's an answer. Tell me how that law in any way shape or form would prevent their support of the manifesto. If it does prevent it than all non England MPs are excluded from voting on it.

It's bollocks. Tell me why it isn't then.

Captain Dart

You know who seems to think so.

Astute

02-gunmen_1364649i.jpg
I await the Tory bus saying how much they are giving them emblazoned down the side.

skybluetony176

If May does anything to jeopardize the good Friday piece agreement she has to go before it's allowed to happen.

If she had any decency she'd walk now. Allow the Tory party to elect a new leader and then hold another general election before the end of the year.

The only hope for the Tories is a new leader, a new manifesto that remembers their core values i.e. not shitting on the elderly, drop the out means out hard brexit bollocks and take a sensible approach to brexit that everyone can compromise enough to live with. She's split the country right down the middle with her rhetoric and become a PM of division. She's the poorest excuse for a PM I've ever seen.

Grendel

Come on guys Nelson Mandela was a freedom fighter - what's wrong with allying with freedom fighters.

Captain Dart

MAFF

thing is they didnt go into coalition with them though. It never happened

. May rushed into a deal just so she could cling onto power. She'd have been wiser to explore others or even spend a few days mulling over deals. Even if she knew May/dup deal was always the only one she could have spun as "being open to all options to find a government in the national interest".

Instead she just looks desperate.

torchomatic

Grendel

The spinning is unbelievable. The Conservatives are justifying getting into bed with the DUP on the basis that Labour once considered it but didn't do it.

They did do it in the minority 70's government.

Grendel

Which is not what any of the posts are referring to. They are referring to Brown's time as leader.

I know but the fact is they have done, they've tried to again and given Corbyn said after the election this time they'd form a minority government they'd have also approached them this time as well.

chiefdave

I know but the fact is they have done, they've tried to again and given Corbyn said after the election this time they'd form a minority government they'd have also approached them this time as well.
And of course if Labour had of approached the DUP or Sinn Fein to persuade them to take their seats and join a coalition you'd have had no issue with it.

Grendel

And of course if Labour had of approached the DUP or Sinn Fein to persuade them to take their seats and join a coalition you'd have had no issue with it.

I'd clearly have an issue with Sinn Fein but the UDP tend to attend parliament and certainly used to hold the Tory whip prior to the good Friday agreement.

It's really a fuss about nothing. Clearly it's impossible to see this lasting that long due to voting logistics but I can see it lasting for 18 months or so if they agree on what concessions are needed.

torchomatic

It's really a fuss about nothing.

Yet, you still keep kicking up a fuss bout it. Well, not when the Tories do what you slag Labour off for doing. Or not as the case may be.

rob9872

Can I just explain sone basic maths for those of you who think the DUP not voting on English law makes a difference:

They have 10 MP's. Sinn Fein have 7.

650 - 10 - 7 = 633.

Therefore 317 votes needed.

Conservative seats = 318

Do you see how this can still work?

Fwiw despite the media frenzy in the past few days, Corbyn having promised the world and freebies to the great unwashed and scroungers of this country, still lost! This unpopular Tory government scored higher than it has done for 25 years with nearly 43% of the electorate. 56 seats more than Corbyn the messiah in spite of TMs "appalling" campaign, austerity measures, Brexit, and disastrous manifesto. Not too shabby was it?

rob9872

Absolutely and indisputable but that has gone and this is what we have to work with despite the posts above suggesting that it wasn't achievable. We're all entitled to form our own opinions but can't argue with facts.

shmmeee

Desperate.

Users who are viewing this thread