EFL Questionnaire (1 Viewer)

I have confidence in Coventry City's Ownership

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ajsccfc

The Great Wall Of China, a miracle of Chinese engineering. So big you can see it from anywhere in the world.

clint van damme

There are no Maoris on Craggy Island

th

Grendel

What 3 absolute numpty's have confidence in our clubs ownership? Those 3 people need rounding up and shooting infront of all Coventrians.

It's gone to 5 now but I have a suspicion they are not taking it too seriously.

win9nut

It's gone to 5 now but I have a suspicion they are not taking it too seriously.
It was intended as a serious poll. I was gonna take it to Downing Street when it gets to 20k votes, and mention it in every post I make henceforth (A bit like the CET)

clint van damme

Big fan of Father Ted. But having lived in China for many years and married to a Chinese woman I don't take kindly to that kind of crap.

then you'll know the context in which the quote was made and that Graham Linehan who wrote it has been very vocal in speaking out about all forms of discrimination.

Astute

But it's not a minority. 52% of British Muslims believe that homosexuals should be incarcerated, according to a recent poll.
That isn't being racist. Many Christians are also out of date with their thoughts. And we all know what some of their priests are like.

Thank fuck for being Athiest. I don't have a book telling me what I should think. I have nothing to fear.

Irish Sky Blue

That isn't being racist. Many Christians are also out of date with their thoughts. And we all know what some of their priests are like.

Thank fuck for being Athiest. I don't have a book telling me what I should think. I have nothing to fear.
The main theme of the book is to help those in need and to respect all others. If everyone followed that message (including the minority of bad priests that you mention) I think the world would be a better place.

Astute

The main theme of the book is to help those in need and to respect all others. If everyone followed that message (including the minority of bad priests that you mention) I think the world would be a better place.
Main theme yes. But many parts no.

Catholics. Main theme yes. Many parts no.

Muslims. Main theme yes. Many parts no.

Irish Sky Blue

Main theme yes. But many parts no.

Catholics. Main theme yes. Many parts no.

Muslims. Main theme yes. Many parts no.

I don't know enough about Islam to comment on that faith.The message from the New Testament Is very much the one above. As with all religions, the message can be distorted by people to suit their own purpose, and is not the true message of that faith.
Anyway, for comic effect, your comment should have been "thank God I am an atheist."

Astute

I don't know enough about Islam to comment on that faith.The message from the New Testament Is very much the one above. As with all religions, the message can be distorted by people to suit their own purpose, and is not the true message of that faith.
Anyway, for comic effect, your comment should have been "thank God I am an atheist."
You said about what muslims think about homosexuality. So on to the bible. St Paul condemns homosexuality in the opening chapter of the Book of Romans:

“In the same way also the men, giving up natural intercourse with women, were consumed with passion for one another. Men committed shameless acts with men and received in their own persons the due penalty for their error.” (Romans 1:27)

Irish Sky Blue

You said about what muslims think about homosexuality. So on to the bible. St Paul condemns homosexuality in the opening chapter of the Book of Romans:

“In the same way also the men, giving up natural intercourse with women, were consumed with passion for one another. Men committed shameless acts with men and received in their own persons the due penalty for their error.” (Romans 1:27)
No, I never mentioned homosexuality.
If you are quoting St Paul, you would also find comments that we would consider sexist today and offensive to woman.
I would not excuse what he says except to say he was a man of a certain time writing with the morals and mores of that time. It is only in recent years that society as a whole has become more enlightened and stopped such cruel discriminations.
This is a bit of a heavy conversation for Sky Blue Talk and possibly the first time Pope Francis has been quoted but here we go. He said recently;
"I believe that the church not only must say it's sorry ... to this person that is gay that it has offended, but it must say it's sorry to the poor, also, to mistreated women, to children forced to work."
He also said " I will also repeat what the Catechism of the Catholic Church says: that [gay people] should not be discriminated against, that they have to be respected."
Lots of bad things are said and done in the name of this religion or that religion. It is not necessarily the religion that is wrong but the way that people, often for their own ends, interpret things.

Astute

No, I never mentioned homosexuality.
If you are quoting St Paul, you would also find comments that we would consider sexist today and offensive to woman.
I would not excuse what he says except to say he was a man of a certain time writing with the morals and mores of that time. It is only in recent years that society as a whole has become more enlightened and stopped such cruel discriminations.
This is a bit of a heavy conversation for Sky Blue Talk and possibly the first time Pope Francis has been quoted but here we go. He said recently;
"I believe that the church not only must say it's sorry ... to this person that is gay that it has offended, but it must say it's sorry to the poor, also, to mistreated women, to children forced to work."
He also said " I will also repeat what the Catechism of the Catholic Church says: that [gay people] should not be discriminated against, that they have to be respected."
Lots of bad things are said and done in the name of this religion or that religion. It is not necessarily the religion that is wrong but the way that people, often for their own ends, interpret things.
I agree with most of what you say. But you are missing the point.

A lot of people follow what is said by their religion. Like the B&B place that took a booking but refused a double room when two gay men turned up. They said it was against their religion. It is mentioned several times in the bible.

If you are going to mention one religion and their homophobia you have to accept it with other religions and not make excuses for them.

ajsccfc

Big fan of Father Ted. But having lived in China for many years and married to a Chinese woman I don't take kindly to that kind of crap.
It isn't whatever kind of crap you seem to think it is though, which is particularly bizarre for someone who gets the reference.

Irish Sky Blue

I agree with most of what you say. But you are missing the point.

A lot of people follow what is said by their religion. Like the B&B place that took a booking but refused a double room when two gay men turned up. They said it was against their religion. It is mentioned several times in the bible.

If you are going to mention one religion and their homophobia you have to accept it with other religions and not make excuses for them.
Once again, I never mentioned homophobia or compared religions. I don't know enough about any other religion to discuss what their beliefs are. As a Catholic, the main philosophy of my faith is respect for all others irrespective of faith, race, gender or sexuality and to try and help others when you can. You can find lots of examples of people (usually men), doing things in the name of their religion or in the name of their God. In most cases they are not following that simple philosophy and are doing the things they do for their own warped reasons.

Astute

Once again, I never mentioned homophobia or compared religions. I don't know enough about any other religion to discuss what their beliefs are. As a Catholic, the main philosophy of my faith is respect for all others irrespective of faith, race, gender or sexuality and to try and help others when you can. You can find lots of examples of people (usually men), doing things in the name of their religion or in the name of their God. In most cases they are not following that simple philosophy and are doing the things they do for their own warped reasons.
Do Catholics still disagree with contraception and abortion whatever the reason?

I had a relative many years ago who nearly died in childbirth. She was warned not to have any more children. When she told the priest he said that contraception wasn't allowed. Because she used it she wasn't allowed to be a practising Catholic anymore.

Needless to say there are no Catholics in our family now.

Irish Sky Blue

Do Catholics still disagree with contraception and abortion whatever the reason?

I had a relative many years ago who nearly died in childbirth. She was warned not to have any more children. When she told the priest he said that contraception wasn't allowed. Because she used it she wasn't allowed to be a practising Catholic anymore.

Needless to say there are no Catholics in our family now.
I am sorry for what happened to your relative. I would hope that a priest would be much more sympathetic and supportive today. Who is a priest to say that you cannot practise your religion, go to Mass or recieve Communion. That is a personal matter.
The church is run by elderly, celebrate men. It takes a long time to change. That in itself is both a good and a bad thing. I think the crucial think is always keeping your eye on the central message of the church. With regard to contraception, I don't think many Catholics would adhere to the churches teaching on that, I don't think many priests would expect them to. I don't believe or go along with everything the church says. I think you have to follow your own conscience. For me,the sanctity of life is the crucial issue with regard to abortion, but even that is not an absolute and very much depends on circumstances.
Returning to a football issue, you would wonder about Joy's version of being a Christian. How can she justify her unethical dealings with our club and employing Fisher who is a blatant liar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread