Ellis Simms (2 Viewers)

djr8369

Bloke behind me doesn’t know what to do anymore now he can’t shout abuse at Wright and Simms…the bellend
I have a bloke like they behind me. Relentless moaning every game. Tempted to move seats but I’ll probably get another dickhead

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

I have a bloke like they behind me. Relentless moaning every game. Tempted to move seats but I’ll probably get another dickhead

Same as on here then. 🤣

Diogenes

He's come on massively and is one of the first names on the team sheet for me. I was a huge critic before Christmas but have eaten my words and a few slices of humble pie. I don't want him to go anywhere and hope he stays and continues to develop as he is.

However, and this may be a bit picky, you can't ignore the fact 6 of those goals came in two games against very poor opposition. Take those out and 13 goals is still good first season but it's not world beating.

It feels weird to say this of a 19 goal striker, but it doesn't feel like he has consistently been a thorn in the side of teams (a la vic) or who will win a game by himself out of nowhere. His profile has been elevated massively by the big cup goals and if someone comes in with a ridiculously good offer we have to move him on.

I just have this feeling that his head is liable to drop and he is likely to return to early season form for long periods when the chips are down.

biggymania

I don't think you can expect many strikers like Gyokeres to come along often, so comparing Simms or anyone to him is just a waste of time.

For me Simms is growing in confidence, his movement is getting better and he is beginning to use his physique much more. To have more than replaced Gyokeres' goals with him and Wright is a good platform to build on.

In games recently where he hasn't factored, I think that's more down to the way we're playing than him. I see him working hard and making space, but we're not moving the ball fast enough and in the right areas.

There's more to come from him, I think.

SBAndy

Clearly a far more rounded striker than the one that joined. I’d hope he sees that progress and thinks another year here is best for his career. However, again it comes back to the fact that if we got £15-20m to ‘go again’ it would need to be considered.

As an aside, can’t be arsed with this “we don’t follow a model do we ladz!!!!1” nonsense. Load of wibble.

fernandopartridge

Clearly a far more rounded striker than the one that joined. I’d hope he sees that progress and thinks another year here is best for his career. However, again it comes back to the fact that if we got £15-20m to ‘go again’ it would need to be considered.

As an aside, can’t be arsed with this “we don’t follow a model do we ladz!!!!1” nonsense. Load of wibble.
The same can be said for speculating over whether or not something will happen according to a perceived model.

Hertsccfc

The idea that we’re somehow following the Brighton and Brentford model is just ridiculous.
I am worried that we are trying a cheap version of that model, and that it's going to lead to a slow decline over the next few years. I hope we will have a re-think in the summer and start being more flexible and pragmatic.

shmmeee

I am worried that we are trying a cheap version of that model, and that it's going to lead to a slow decline over the next few years. I hope we will have a re-think in the summer and start being more flexible and pragmatic.

Selling one player a year and buying 3-5 new ones isn’t going to lead to decline as long as the scouting can consistently find more gems than duds. Which so far it has.

The next trick is having succession planned so there’s not a rush to replace in the same window. If we play it right and get a young ST, RB, wide player in in case Wright/Simms/MvE/Saka/EMC is next summers sale then all those funds can go on improving elsewhere or stocking up more potential gems for when the next one goes.

Hertsccfc

Selling one player a year and buying 3-5 new ones isn’t going to lead to decline as long as the scouting can consistently find more gems than duds. Which so far it has.

The next trick is having succession planned so there’s not a rush to replace in the same window. If we play it right and get a young ST, RB, wide player in in case Wright/Simms/MvE/Saka/EMC is next summers sale then all those funds can go on improving elsewhere or stocking up more potential gems for when the next one goes.
I disagree. You end up always with inconsistency playing prospects rather than players at the top of their game.

I think Thomas and Kitching will be really good players but they will leave once they are for example. We'll have them while they are making mistakes regularly.

shmmeee

I disagree. You end up always with inconsistency playing prospects rather than players at the top of their game.

I think Thomas and Kitching will be really good players but they will leave once they are for example. We'll have them while they are making mistakes regularly.

We don’t have a squad with the quality or quantity where it needs to be. There’s no use having one or two stars and 9 makeweights in the side. The only way to build that out is big sales. These are players going on to a higher standard, even off their peak they’re among the best in the division. We need one more eight figure sale in my eyes to finish building out a squad that can challenge. If we’re smart with that we can plan ahead, but I’d expect the squad to be stronger if we sold sheaf and spent and extra ten million than if we didn’t. Just as it’s stronger now for selling Vik and Gus.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Have to be at least £15-20m to consider it.

Whole point of this season was getting the players bedded in for a proper go next season, so ripping the spine out would make it a waste.

I think now he's finally settled in he could be an absolute beast next year and vital to any promotion challenge.

Hertsccfc

We don’t have a squad with the quality or quantity where it needs to be. There’s no use having one or two stars and 9 makeweights in the side. The only way to build that out is big sales. These are players going on to a higher standard, even off their peak they’re among the best in the division. We need one more eight figure sale in my eyes to finish building out a squad that can challenge. If we’re smart with that we can plan ahead, but I’d expect the squad to be stronger if we sold sheaf and spent and extra ten million than if we didn’t. Just as it’s stronger now for selling Vik and Gus.
But if the squad is stronger how come we ended up lower this season than last?

Liquid Gold

We can't afford to buy players at the top of their game though so we have to develop them.

One way of attracting good projects is to agree not to stand in their way if they surpass the club and we can make a good profit on them.

We just have to get recruitment right and that's it really. Losing Hamer and Vik was a body blow but it built us a competitive squad. Move a couple of that squad on next summer and the rebuild would be smaller so the funds invested heavily in a couple of key positions.

That's the process you have to follow and hope it comes to fruition. The alternative is to go for it over a 2-3 year window but that means you're risking good players leaving for free as you don't sell them when at peak value and also the club racking up significant debts as you can't skim off the top of player sales to reduce running costs.

I'd prefer to do it more sustainably, even if that will sometimes feel like two steps forwards one step back, instead of risking us going back to the dark days of the club not having a pot to piss in and playing in front of 6k.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Have to be at least £15-20m to consider it.

Whole point of this season was getting the players bedded in for a proper go next season, so ripping the spine out would make it a waste.

I think now he's finally settled in he could be an absolute beast next year and vital to any promotion challenge.

15 to 20 million to consider? Yet a poor and weak captain in central midfield with no assists and almost no goals is going to fetch at least that or more? Our fans really make me laugh. Simms might have started slow this season, but he's clearly got something that would be sought after.

The fact people are nervous to quote a price that is lower than what we are hearing for an albeit good tackling but non-goal scoring, impotent-assist, weak captain. It makes me laugh. No surprises that those shouting abuse haven't taken me up on the charity bet.

Brighton Sky Blue

The point is to sign players who will already be at the standard you want when the player ahead of him is sold. So as opposed to going ‘oh shit we need a right back’, we have one ready made.

DrPoolittle

The latest alleged link is that Brentford and Bournemouth want Simms...

Part of the problem is that his heroics at Wembley - and arguably, the heroics of the team (and Robins) - will have gained extra profile.

That will generate speculation throughout the summer. It’s an additional complication because Robins will be trying to build a squad and trying to fend off unwanted interest.

Pointless demanding that King turns down offers because players are now more influential than ever and money talks.

One of most rewarding things is that we have two strikers both close to 20 goals in one season. That’s pretty impressive and I was certainly critical of Simms and Wright at the start of the season. All credit to the players and coaching staff but they aren’t the finished article yet.

Brighton Sky Blue

The latest alleged link is that Brentford and Bournemouth want Simms...

Part of the problem is that his heroics at Wembley - and arguably, the heroics of the team (and Robins) - will have gained extra profile.

That will generate speculation throughout the summer. It’s an additional complication because Robins will be trying to build a squad and trying to fend off unwanted interest.

Pointless demanding that King turns down offers because players are now more influential than ever and money talks.

One of most rewarding things is that we have two strikers both close to 20 goals in one season. That’s pretty impressive and I was certainly critical of Simms and Wright at the start of the season. All credit to the players and coaching staff but they aren’t the finished article yet.
Hope they can both reach that milestone on Saturday.

David O'Day

We are not selling Simms or Wright unless we get an absolutely stupidly big bid.

Neither player is looking to leave or is going to be agitate for a move.

FFS stop pissing the bed every time someone fills column inches linking a random club to one of our players.

Some of you folk will give yourselves a stroke the way you are going.

DrPoolittle

We are not selling Simms or Wright unless we get an absolutely stupidly big bid.

FFS stop pissing the bed every time someone fills column inches linking a random club to one of our players.

Some people get palpitations when Cov players leave ;)

Hobo

But if the squad is stronger how come we ended up lower this season than last?

Injuries, more fixtures due to cup run, new players bedding in, could all affect our league position despite having a more capable squad.

WestEndAgro

Not many I've been sad to lose over the past but several spring to mind

Gillespie
Gallagher
Dublin
Danny Thomas
Mark Hately
Vic
Speedie
Steve Hunt
Mortimer
Wallace

Not many considering I've been attending for over 50 years

False9

I don't understand what the alternative 'model' is?

We have to sell players and reinvest wisely whilst funding the operating costs. There isn't a benefactor covering our losses.

What are these flexible and pragmatic alternatives? More loans?

Hertsccfc

I don't understand what the alternative 'model' is?

We have to sell players and reinvest wisely whilst funding the operating costs. There isn't a benefactor covering our losses.

What are these flexible and pragmatic alternatives? More loans?
According to the model purists on here you can't have loans, experienced leaders or players at the top of their career. According to them the squad has to be made up entirely of young prospects who have high potential sell on values, so that we improve in the long term.

I get these are the sorts of players we need to invest in. However, a truly successful team at this level also needs a balance of experience and the extra quality that loans from the Premier League bring, together with a number of established players at the height of their careers.

Bringing in prospects, developing them and making a profit is a big part of success but on its own it isn’t enough. You need a balanced squad to get promoted from this league.

biggymania

Honestly, football is just a mis-directed output for a bunch of untreated anxiety - I truly believe this the more absolutely terrible opinions I read. And I probably include some of my own in that!

Users who are viewing this thread