England at sports (1 Viewer)

Otis

We're not bad at all in reality are we.

I know it's only the Commonwealth Games going on at the moment, but we have won 170 medals in total and when you stop and think about things in general, we are right up there in many, many sports upon the world stage aren't we.

Cycling
Golf
Table Tennis
Badminton
Hockey
Bowls
Gymnastics
Swimming
Athletics
Boxing
Diving
Triathlon
Netball
Motor sport
Snooker
Rowing

Then you have football and we are regularly qualifying for tournaments. Not amongst the best in the world there obviously, but still probably in the top 20 nations of the world and then you have cricket, where we have been number one and rugby too the same.

Overall, it's not bad for a small little island is it.

Otis

I heard one of the commentators at the start of the games describing Australia as the USA of the Commonwealth, seems like they got that wrong. Have really enjoyed the Commonwealth games, I wasn't expecting to but loving it, a really good future for Team GB in Rio (depending on the Scottish independent vote)

Yep true.

Don't have much knowledge of the Commonwealth Games, but I would most certainly have expected Austrailia to outdo us and possibly Canada too.

58 gold medals is pretty good going indeed.

bringbackrattles

I too have watched a bit of the games and really enjoyed what I saw. England will top the table which considering Australia and Canada and India are in it and are huge countries,made me feel proud to be an Englishman.
I like it being individual countries instead of team G.B. as it has shown the desire is greater I feel by the competitor as they are representing their country.

Otis

It's one part of a Scotland 'yes' vote outcome that I would be happy with.

Everytime GB win a medal I always look to see if the recipient was Scottish, Welsh or English. Celebrate so much more knowing if I find out they were English.

Covstu

I think all of the home nations did us proud in the commonwealth. Scotland blasted their own medal tally (nearly doubled it). We have a good setup in some key sports however heavily reliant on lottery money and public spending. Went to Manchester Velodrome on Saturday and thoroughly enjoyed the experience, cycling (inc BMX) has a fantastic setup there and people were coming countrywide to experience it.

We do really well and probably proves we have the wrong setup in football to push on as we are answerable to alot of money men rather than one decision maker.

Take the aussies who have put in some much time, cost and effort into their swimming teams over the years and were blown out of the water by the brits in this tournament, great to see (and i know nothing about swimming!).

Brighton Sky Blue

It's one part of a Scotland 'yes' vote outcome that I would be happy with.

Everytime GB win a medal I always look to see if the recipient was Scottish, Welsh or English. Celebrate so much more knowing if I find out they were English.

Does the line on a map really make a difference Otis? Same island, different funny accent.

Users who are viewing this thread