England squad (1 Viewer)

Alkhen

What's hard to understand?

1. "I've lost interest in England. Hope we go out in the group stages."
2. "Weird. Why do you want us to go out?"
1. "So Southgate will be sacked sooner"
2. "You think Southgate will be sacked because you're boycotting them? ha ha ha ha"
1. "Wot."

See what I mean?
Pretty weird

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Southgate's response was the usual soppy as fuck stuttering that we've come to expect.

I agree that it shouldn't be a big enough issue to detract from the game tomorrow but those that are just dismissing it also aren't reading the room very well. We're constantly being told to feel guilty, and having some pride in the country is considered right wing and taboo. It's odd. Just leave the traditions and flags alone, and stop dismissing people for wanting to feel pride in their home nation. There wouldn't be such defensiveness that we are seeing here otherwise.

If you want to have a culture war about other shit then crack on, but go for the core stuff and you don't really have a leg to stand on. It's boring and people have had enough of it.

Alkhen

Southgate's response was the usual soppy as fuck stuttering that we've come to expect.

I agree that it shouldn't be a big enough issue to detract from the game tomorrow but those that are just dismissing it also aren't reading the room very well. We're constantly being told to feel guilty, and having some pride in the country is considered right wing and taboo. It's odd. Just leave the traditions and flags alone, and stop dismissing people for wanting to feel pride in their home nation. There wouldn't be such defensiveness that we are seeing here otherwise.

If you want to have a culture war about other shit then crack on, but go for the core stuff and you don't really have a leg to stand on. It's boring and people have had enough of it.

What is Southgate supposed to say?

I'm fine with people feeling annoyed by the flag but I do genuinely question why now? why only this one when it's happened on plenty of shirts in the past? Just seems odd, massively amplified by social media driven by people with agendas

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

What is Southgate supposed to say?

I'm fine with people feeling annoyed by the flag but I do genuinely question why now? why only this one when it's happened on plenty of shirts in the past? Just seems odd, massively amplified by social media driven by people with agendas

Maybe look at how the landscape has changed in the last few years. I totally get some people overreact and that can be found funny, but many are also getting defensive for a reason. See the points made in my last post.

We have an exciting game coming up and a big tournament in the summer to look forward to. Why detract from that? It was easy to avoid. The changing of the flag is not 'a fun twist' or 'striking for unity', it's doing the opposite. They've done it with ours because it looks like fair game and when people get upset, they are what get the attention. Your reaction proves that. It's ridiculous. There's so many flags in the world they wouldn't dare to fuck with.

Last edited:

Alkhen

Maybe look at how the landscape has changed in the last few years. I totally get some people overreact and that can be found funny, but many are also getting defensive for a reason. See the points made in my last post.

We have an exciting game coming up and a big tournament in the summer to look forward to. Why detract from that? It was easy to avoid. The changing of the flag is not 'a fun twist' or 'striking for unity', it's doing the opposite. They've done it with ours because it looks like fair game and when people get upset, they are what get the attention. Your reaction proves that. It's ridiculous. There's so many flags in the world they wouldn't dare to fuck with.
Genuinely think you are over thinking their motives. But fair enough it's your right to feel how you do and at least you can state your reasons. Many people that have got worked up seemingly can't

Last edited:

hamertime

I have literally no idea why everyone's getting so woked up, especially when the reason for the colour choice has been explained in the press release (and is based in football history, nothing else). Mountain out of a molehill.
And you believe that shite, they are weaselling out of it like alkhen. It is a nod to the rainbow flag just not as blatant trying to be clever. No one is going to buy it just the weak types z

Otis

I don't see the fuss myself and don't mind the mini flag. As long as it's just a one off and not to be the norm, I have no problem with it. I kind of like it.

A bit different from when they were trying to permanently change the City badge

Evo1883

We’ve got people like you to thank for our away ends being so embarrassing then. Families and shirters galore
people slow clap GIF

stupot07

I don't see the fuss myself and don't mind the mini flag. As long as it's just a one off and not to be the norm, I have no problem with it. I kind of like it.

A bit different from when they were trying to permanently change the City badge

I don't see the issue either, it's not like they have changed the three lions emblem on the front. It's just a tiny detail on the back of the collar.

People who have an issue with it are just odd.

Now the price of the shirt that's another matter, a football shirt should be no more than £50. £120 or £65 for kids, or £125 or £85 for adults is armed robbery.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

stupot07

On another note, can we please have a different national anthem. God Save the King is the national anthem of the United Kingdom, we're playing as England not the UK. The other UK nations have their own anthems, we should use Jerusalem like the cricket or something else.

Otis

On another note, can we please have a different national anthem. God Save the King is the national anthem of the United Kingdom, we're playing as England not the UK. The other UK nations have their own anthems, we should use Jerusalem like the cricket or something else.

Or Vindaloo. 👍

Can't get more English than that.

AiS86

I don't see the issue either, it's not like they have changed the three lions emblem on the front. It's just a tiny detail on the back of the collar.

People who have an issue with it are just odd.

Now the price of the shirt that's another matter, a football shirt should be no more than £50. £120 or £65 for kids, or £125 or £85 for adults is armed robbery.

They have on multiple occasions changed the colours of another symbol of England, but no one bats an eyelid because it's not vaguely similar to the colours of a bisexuality flag or whatever it is. It's a symbom on an England shirt and it's obvious what it represents, the faux outrage is just bizarre
GJSHmUcXEAAcsLQ.jpg GJSHmUdXsAAqWv-.jpg GJSHmUbXEAAo89G.jpg GJSHmUSXoAEwVoP.jpg

chiefdave

because it's not vaguely similar to the colours of a bisexuality flag or whatever it is
the is the key, lets not pretend otherwise. nobody gives a shit about the flag being altered, there's numerous examples in this thread alone and Sunak has tweeted altered flags himself before deciding it was a disgraceful thing to do

the issue is for some reason certain people have decided, with no evidence to support it, that Nike / England are trying to make some sort of 'woke' statement but having a flag that consists of the colours of their current range of kits

Screenshot 2024-03-23 at 11.45.09.png

SBT

We're constantly being told to feel guilty, and having some pride in the country is considered right wing and taboo. It's odd. Just leave the traditions and flags alone, and stop dismissing people for wanting to feel pride in their home nation.
Where are people being dismissed or told to feel guilty? I personally don’t feel anywhere near these levels of insecurity about showing pride in my country - public displays are all over the place these days, I can’t think of many flags or traditions that are now considered taboo.

Nick

Administrator
Where are people being dismissed or told to feel guilty? I personally don’t feel anywhere near these levels of insecurity about showing pride in my country - public displays are all over the place these days, I can’t think of many flags or traditions that are now considered taboo.
To be fair there's plenty of instances of people in England being told to take down the England flag.

SBT

To be fair there's plenty of instances of people in England being told to take down the England flag.
Are there? You can’t move for them during a football tournament or royal celebration. I’m sure there are nutjob killjoys who occasionally pipe up - doesn’t mean our national identity is suddenly taboo, does it?

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Come on, you are a smart enough guy. Scroll up and read this thread. It isn't just those telling us to feel guilty, a lot of people want to play this down and brush it under the carpet (see above like I said, and look outside the window).

There is a guilt driven towards citizens of western states for having pride in their own nations, and it is absolutely everywhere. Some of it comes from people that have moved here, or second generation immigrants. In other cases it comes from native citizens who think we should feel ashamed of our past, or feel too soft to call out those who say we should be ashamed as they don't want to be seen as right wing or racist. It's a really strange phenomenon and has been accelerating this weird culture war. Hence an increasing defensiveness over things like this shirt. Everyone should be able to feel proud of where they come from, but that isn't the reality, and there is a massive double standard over it depending on what country you are from.

You don't even have to leave this forum to see it, but a 2 second google search opens up a whole world of people trying to tell you that you shouldn't be proud of your country and heritage. Look at this clown:

SBT

Come on, you are a smart enough guy. Scroll up and read this thread. It isn't just those telling us to feel guilty, a lot of people want to play this down and brush it under the carpet (see above like I said, and look outside the window).

There is a guilt driven towards citizens of western states for having pride in their own nations, and it is absolutely everywhere. Some of it comes from people that have moved here, or second generation immigrants. In other cases it comes from native citizens who think we should feel ashamed of our past, or feel too soft to call out those who say we should be ashamed as they don't want to be seen as right wing or racist. It's a really strange phenomenon and has been accelerating this weird culture war. Hence an increasing defensiveness over things like this shirt. Everyone should be able to feel proud of where they come from, but that isn't the reality, and there is a massive double standard over it depending on what country you are from.

You don't even have to leave this forum to see it, but a 2 second google search opens up a whole world of people trying to tell you that you shouldn't be proud of your country and heritage. Look at this clown:

Do you feel guilty about being English? If not, then you don’t really have much to worry about. Personally I feel very comfortable being proud of my nationality, while at the same time being able to acknowledge the views of those who see this country in a different way. After all, pride in English and British culture seems pretty pervasive to me - I don’t think a Good Morning Britain debate between a former Big Brother and Apprentice contestant is going to shake that.

If you think it’s genuinely under threat then being upset about a twist on an English flag design makes a little more sense to me, although I still think it’s way overblown. Personally I don’t think English national pride is going anywhere so I’m not too concerned.

hill83

Do you feel guilty about being English? If not, then you don’t really have much to worry about. Personally I feel very comfortable being proud of my nationality, while at the same time being able to acknowledge the views of those who see this country in a different way. After all, pride in English and British culture seems pretty pervasive to me - I don’t think a Good Morning Britain debate between a former Big Brother and Apprentice contestant is going to shake that.

If you think it’s genuinely under threat then being upset about a twist on an English flag design makes a little more sense to me, although I still think it’s way overblown. Personally I don’t think English national pride is going anywhere so I’m not too concerned.

My England flag is nicely ironed and ready to go for the Euros

SBbucks

“ God save the king” . It’s a banal and meaningless dirge. The royal family are sliding into irrelevance (thankfully) and religion plays an ever declining part in the country. As an anthem it has no meaning or value in the 21st century, it needs putting in the bin (and certainly should have no place at a football match).

Tommo1993

Absolutely not. Keep religious nonsense out of football.

Seaside-Skyblue

Interestingly Nike have possibly played this very well from a business and PR sense if intentional. The amount of media attention and noise that the change to the flag colour on the collar has created is more than I can ever remember for any England shirt release so it wouldn't surprise me if it generates record sales. It's the whole "binley mega chippy" thing, whether it's actually that good or not doesn't matter, what seems to matter is that it's being talked about and in the spotlight and as a result people appear to get drawn to it.

Sent from my SM-A346B using Tapatalk

SBbucks

Interestingly Nike have possibly played this very well from a business and PR sense if intentional. The amount of media attention and noise that the change to the flag colour on the collar has created is more than I can ever remember for any England shirt release so it wouldn't surprise me if it generates record sales. It's the whole "binley mega chippy" thing, whether it's actually that good or not doesn't matter, what seems to matter is that it's being talked about and in the spotlight and as a result people appear to get drawn to it.

Sent from my SM-A346B using Tapatalk

Yep, they’ve played it very well and have got attention beyond their wildest dreams. And as an added bonus they’ve triggered all the right people, job done

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Though it was suggested by a Scot, I'm still all for The Archers theme

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Having pride in your country and acknowledging not everything it does or has done in the past is good are not mutually exclusive.

If you have both you are patriotic. If you only have the first you're a nationalist.

One thing I suggest is ask someone if they ever tell their kids off for doing something wrong. If they do, ask them why they hate their kids. Or is it that they want their kids to be the best they can be and that involves telling them when they're doing something wrong, cos if they don't what they've got is a massive problem on their hands in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread