England v italy (1 Viewer)

Tad

Commence the media meltdown.

Roy Hodgson, I feel sorry for you.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Nice anti football by Hodgson

Would have preferred Redknapp come in, play with 2 out an out wingers and have a real go at attacking the opposition. We used all our luck up in the 4 games before hand.

mark82

Would have preferred Redknapp come in, play with 2 out an out wingers and have a real go at attacking the opposition. We used all our luck up in the 4 games before hand.

Hopefully we will get Redknapp now. Another abject failure. I wouldn't have minded if he'd taken a young team for the future. Hodgson out.

Grendel

Nonsense. The team didn't play negatively in fact in the first half they created many chances. Technically they are just poor.

AngryAnt

Not going to have a go at Hodgson, the media will rip him to shreds.

Being honest, we didn't expect to get much futher and frankly Italy were the better team on the night, by a very very long way.

Rooney was terrible and shouldn't have been on the pitch in the second half let alone taking a pen.

Tad

Our defence got us this far. Not enough from other areas.

Macca

Hodgson or redknapp doesn't matter. We aren t good enough. Just like the skyblues we need to get expectations right. We are good enough to get to knock out stages but we aren t good enough to match the top sides and never have been in fairness. Main positive is the effort shown but technically..... Oh dear

Marty

Rooney was poor, I heard he was poor against Ukraine (was working so didn't see it), like I said, make him fight for his place. Welbeck looked the better of the too and he should have gone for Walcott up with him.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Nonsense. The team didn't play negatively in fact in the first half they created many chances. Technically they are just poor.
Not nonsense, we played ok first half an showed some attacking intent. From 45 mins to 120 it was just anti football.

Otis

Commence the media meltdown.

Roy Hodgson, I feel sorry for you.

Hodgson has done very well and I don't want to start any backlash against him and he has only made the one mistake in the tournament I feel. It was a bad mistake to make though.

Young should have been substituted. He was dreadful all night long. Milner should have stayed on and Young should have been the one to go off.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Rooney was poor, I heard he was poor against Ukraine (was working so didn't see it), like I said, make him fight for his place. Welbeck looked the better of the too and he should have gone for Walcott up with him.
He was worse vs Ukraine despite the goal, I am only judging the first half tonight when we were competing.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Hodgson has done very well and I don't want to start any backlash against him and he has only made the one mistake in the tournament I feel. It was a bad mistake to make though.

Young should have been substituted. He was dreadful all night long. Milner should have stayed on and Young should have been the one to go off.
His appointment was a mistake by the FA :/

wingy

The system we adopt does'nt work ,no dare ,absolutely nothing from the left flank through the entire tournament ,a combination of Cole and Young at league level should tear teams apart ,but under utilised ,Walcott probably only had 3 touches and he came on @60mins,and fitness ,some of them look like they're running through treacle,i could go on and on ,Far too negative.

SkyBlue_Bear83

We were never going to win the tournament playing anti football, too physically demanding to concede 60%+ possession in games every 4 days.

mark82

The system we adopt does'nt work ,no dare ,absolutely nothing from the left flank through the entire tournament ,a combination of Cole and Young at league level should tear teams apart ,but under utilised ,Walcott probably only had 3 touches and he came on @60mins,and fitness ,some of them look like they're running through treacle,i could go on and on ,Far too negative.

Its just defend for dear life and hope we fluke a goal. As much as anything I just don't enjoy watching it. Alan Hanson just summed it up perfectly. We have been average throughout.

Grendel

We were never going to win the tournament playing anti football, too physically demanding to concede 60%+ possession in games every 4 days.

Well I guess if England want a manager that REALLY plays the beautiful game they know where to come.

Macca

Does anyone consider the fact that English players look good at club level because they are the minority in teams full of gifted foreign players. This gives them far more freedom and disguises their shortcomings. Put them all together and there is nt enough flair

Tad

We were never going to win Full stop. We could of had the best manager in the world and we'd lose. We don't have the quality to compete with Germany etc. Winning the group was great, anything after that was a bonus. If we want to reach the next step, things have to change in the premier league. The PL has become too much of a throw money at player x, y and b from wherever. We need stricter -enforced- rules that means clubs HAVE to play a certain number of Brits.

Last edited:

Sky Blue Sheepy

Maccas pretty much just summed it up. In the little spell we did have we were playing some lovely little pass and moves - doesn't take away from the fact that the current players we have aren't of semi-final or better quality. Would like to see our starting forwards be Welbeck/Sturridge and Carroll next tournament however as they actually did impress me - Welbeck will get better and Carroll won every bloody header that came his way. Rooney, short of fitness or not, doesn't do enough in 90 minutes. Terry was outstanding, like him or not and Lescott did well. Deserved to lose, but much happier than 2010!

Macca

English players seem to fill the same kind of role in premier teams. Good engine, tough in the tackle etc. apart from gazza I struggle to remember a genuine match changing player

SkyBlue_Bear83

Does anyone consider the fact that English players look good at club level because they are the minority in teams full of gifted foreign players. This gives them far more freedom and disguises their shortcomings. Put them all together and there is nt enough flair
Yes, Rooney and Welbeck are fed by Valencia and Nani constantly at club level and Walcott, Milner and Downing don't come close to that
Gerrard is probably the acception as he has ran the Liverpool midfield for the last decade but even then some of his best football came playing alongside Alonso.

I think the defence have shown they are good enough but not the midfield or attack. Lets hope Ox and Wilshere develop into top players.

SkyBlue_Bear83

We were never going to win Full stop. We could of had the best manager in the world and we'd lose. We don't have the quality to compete with Germany etc. Winning the group was great, anything after that was a bonus. If we want to reach the next step, things have to change in the premier league. The PL has become too much of a throw money at player x, y and b from wherever. We need stricter -enforced- rules that means clubs HAVE to play a certain number of Brits.
No we weren't, so I would prefer we attacked the opposition an went out with a bang rather than defending for our lives and hoping to fluke it.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Maccas pretty much just summed it up. In the little spell we did have we were playing some lovely little pass and moves - doesn't take away from the fact that the current players we have aren't of semi-final or better quality. Would like to see our starting forwards be Welbeck/Sturridge and Carroll next tournament however as they actually did impress me - Welbeck will get better and Carroll won every bloody header that came his way. Rooney, short of fitness or not, doesn't do enough in 90 minutes. Terry was outstanding, like him or not and Lescott did well. Deserved to lose, but much happier than 2010!
Carroll was piss poor tonight, so many time the ball was bashed up to him he has a 5 yard space radius all around him and he flicked onto the Italian defence. If you watch Crouchy he can take down on his chest and turn with the ball at his feet which Carrol should have been doing.

Macca

No we weren't, so I would prefer we attacked the opposition an went out with a bang rather than defending for our lives and hoping to fluke it.

I agree with the sentiment but not sure we have the ability. Hey ho, roll on dagenham

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I can't remember a decent England team for decades! Guess I agreee with Macca (#55 above), that there are just far too many foreign imports playing in the Premier league. While it may be good for the top teams during the season, the rest of the country are left to "pick the bones" of what is left to try and formulate some sort of decent team for the National side. There just aren't enough of them. How many England players play for a foreign side? Barcelona, Real Madrid, Juventus, AC Milan etc, etc, None. And why? Because they just aren't good enough to make those teams. They don't want English players simply because they know they just wouldn't survive the continental style of play. And that's where England fail. Who was the last half decent England player to play abroad whilst being picked for England? I rest my case.

SkyBlue_Bear83

I can't remember a decent England team for decades! Guess I agreee with Macca (#55 above), that there are just far too many foreign imports playing in the Premier league. While it may be good for the top teams during the season, the rest of the country are left to "pick the bones" of what is left to try and formulate some sort of decent team for the National side. There just aren't enough of them. How many England players play for a foreign side? Barcelona, Real Madrid, Juventus, AC Milan etc, etc, None. And why? Because they just aren't good enough to make those teams. They don't want English players simply because they know they just wouldn't survive the continental style of play. And that's where England fail. Who was the last half decent England player to play abroad whilst being picked for England? I rest my case.
Owen and Beckham probably

You could say the same about German players though, many of them don't play outside Germany apart from Ozil and Khadeira only very recently and they are not a bad side.
I think it is good that the english players play in their home country, there is just too many foreigners in the side. If you look at champions league final Bayern Munich is a side made of nearly fully german players where as Chelsea only had to my memory Cole, Lampard and Cahill were playing.
That is why I never understand the Man Utd hate from an english perspective as they always produce home grown talent and Ferguson always gives them a chance to prove themself in a top side.

oakey

Our players cannot compete at tournaments in the summer months. Eg. Rooney need never be picked again for a summer tournament, he always looks completely shattered, worn out by the season's end playing for his club...nothing left in the tank.
Premier league was introduced with the claim that it would benefit the England team... Truth is it wears our players out totally.
+ the best players in our league are not English
We will never win another tournament as we do not have the technical ability or the bottle.

bishbosh

Miserable night of footie. In the end I just wanted the Italians to put us out of our misery; sad to say that. Rooney has not performed for England in any tournament for whatever reason, but he is the best we have. As long as the premier league makes the money then the national side will suffer - there is nothing to motivate EPL clubs to help England.

It'll be the same in 2 years time unless there are big changes, but who will implement them without PL support? England have the volume of players and the cash to compete at the highest level but we're not developing technical players in significant numbers in order to succeed.

Sadly I didn't expect much and in the end we were lucky to get out of the group, the Germans would have torn us apart.

Here's to Brazil...

Tad

There are numerous ways to unsure Brits develop, we just don't use them. The best way I personally think is to enforce a rule where you have to have at least 5/6 English players out of the 11 on field. Having experienced foreign players in the league is a good thing, as the young Brits can learn a lot through them, but there's just too many of these mercenaries in the league now. It's pretty clear to me its all down to the FA and if they have the guts to go through with something like this. I dare say sponsorship will go down, big teams will look weaker for a while, but in the long run; it would be better for the English game.

Last edited:

CCFC Germany

Who had expected England to end up as group winners before the Euro anyway ?
They started with the worst squad in ages and did quite well with it.

But as long as there are just a hand full of English players left in the "big" English clubs that play the European cups every year, actually nothing will change.

I repeat myself - I can't stand the German squad, but look at their average age and how many international games on international level they've got together.
They will be close to unbeatable by 2015 - They all made it through playing in the Bundesliga...

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
It also really pisses me off when these glorified Prima Donnas are reported to be "tired" after such a long season! WHAT!!!???? They train for a couple of hours a day - and when I say 'train' they tippy tappy a ball between them - and then play a game on a Saturday and maybe every now and again, they have to play another midweek! Ahhhhhh! The poor loves! And they're paid an absolute bloody fortune! Eamon Holmes hit it on the head on Sky News this morning when he said that tennis players at Wimbledon will play solidly for anything up to 5 hours in a match, then play again 2 days later! These England international players are just too bloody soft!

Otis

They were clearly tired yesterday. Italy looked fresher and stronger.

It simply shouldn't be an excuse.

Users who are viewing this thread