England V Republic of Ireland (1 Viewer)

pusbccfc

With Mignulet being linked with a transfer away, he won't have a better chance to get first team football.

But then with Sunderland linked with other keepers (today's paper talk said they want Frazier Forster from Celtic) he should surely guess that he won't be in favour at Sunderland and a move is a must!

That said,I rate him better than Frazier Forster

Frazier Forster is a brilliant keeper. If you watch many Celtic games you'd no way put him behind Westwood!

Mucca Mad Boys

Typical home nations clash...serves as a reminder why ditching the Home Internationals was actually a good idea IMO

Of the home nations, bar today, I've only seen Wales and NI play England so when it was poor, I just thought we either underestimated them or, they upped their game.

I was going to go to that, glad I didn't go.

SkyblueBazza

Of the home nations, bar today, I've only seen Wales and NI play England so when it was poor, I just thought we either underestimated them or, they upped their game.

I was going to go to that, glad I didn't go.

Over the years I think there have only really been a handful of exceptions to my assessment IMO - one was the 1996 Euros v Scotland. It had some excitement, some class & a result (the right way!)

Brighton Sky Blue

Post season friendly with neither team at full strength so was never going to be a rip roaring spectacle. International football is no longer the pinnacle of the game I'm afraid and I don't know what can happen to change that.

ccfc92

Post season friendly with neither team at full strength so was never going to be a rip roaring spectacle. International football is no longer the pinnacle of the game I'm afraid and I don't know what can happen to change that.

Win bonuses for international's?

pusbccfc

I based this on an opinion of a Celtic fan, who doesn't rate him.

Very surprised on that! My mate who is, too, a Celtic fan loves him and whenever he makes me watch them play, I see him as England's number two.

In the Champions League he was superb.

Mucca Mad Boys

I don't know how much stick I'll get for this - and I don't think it'd ever happen because of the big club pressure, but I think there's a way of fixing this:

In rugby, well what Australia and NZ do, their equivalent of the FA pay their players, not the club, meaning that the allegiance of the player switches immediately from club to country and won't leave that domestic league unless they are willing to give up their international career up - this would be good for England because if foreign countries implement this, means less foreign players which should promote more youth talent coming up though the academies which should enhance the national team.

Mucca Mad Boys

Frazier Forster is a brilliant keeper. If you watch many Celtic games you'd no way put him behind Westwood!

I think Westwood WAS a better GK than Forster - Celtic wanted Westwood > Forster, but since he moved away from us, he's had little game time and thus has fallen behind GKs he was once better than - a real shame.

Bluegloucester

I don't know how much stick I'll get for this - and I don't think it'd ever happen because of the big club pressure, but I think there's a way of fixing this:

In rugby, well what Australia and NZ do, their equivalent of the FA pay their players, not the club, meaning that the allegiance of the player switches immediately from club to country and won't leave that domestic league unless they are willing to give up their international career up - this would be good for England because if foreign countries implement this, means less foreign players which should promote more youth talent coming up though the academies which should enhance the national team.

I think you should head up the FA from tomorrow. Can you go straight to Wembley and start sorting this out for the good of the whole country.

Brighton Sky Blue

The quality is never going to match club football because the latter is unrestricted by the nationality of players. We'd be better off with a league type system like the Davis Cup.

As for foreigners-we need competition so our youngsters get through on merit. What we need more is for our players young and old to go abroad and experience first hand different footballing philosophies.

Last edited:

Mucca Mad Boys

The quality is never going to match club football because the latter is unrestricted by the nationality of players. We'd be better off with a league type system like the Davis Cup.

As for foreigners-we need competition so our youngsters get through on merit. What we need more is for our players young and old to go abroad and experience first hand different footballing philosophies.

I'm unfamiliar with the Davies Cup system - so if you don't mind, could you explain it?

I personally think it would improve the standard because these players are loyal to £££ therefore, to who pays them, so when these int'l call ups come, some players mysteriously get injuries/don't try as hard, but if the FA paid them, the allegiance would be to the national team so they'd try harder, the national team could take these players earlier than they do now to prevent injury/fatigue, overall the quality should increase, admittedly, I don't know the ins and outs of this system, but on the face of it, I think it's a good model to follow. - but most likely unpractical in football anyway. Domestically, loyalty would be restored because money grabbing would be non-existent because it's the national team who pays them, that's why in NZ, no team has a monopoly of awesome players like in football.

I'm not saying that there shouldn't be any foreign players because that isn't good for the game, they bring a different culture which enriches our domestic game, however, this system undercuts our young players, with managers under pressure to succeed ASAP, what manager who is sane is going to blood youngsters through when they could buy a ready made foreign player minus the effort and money for young players, what's also promoting this is English teams, they want rip off amounts for fellow English players, 55m for Henderson and Carroll whilst Gotze cost 32.5m for Bayern, that's insane, I remember West Ham wanting 20m for Carlton Cole - he's shite!

Bluegloucester

I'm unfamiliar with the Davies Cup system - so if you don't mind, could you explain it?

I personally think it would improve the standard because these players are loyal to £££ therefore, to who pays them, so when these int'l call ups come, some players mysteriously get injuries/don't try as hard, but if the FA paid them, the allegiance would be to the national team so they'd try harder, the national team could take these players earlier than they do now to prevent injury/fatigue, overall the quality should increase, admittedly, I don't know the ins and outs of this system, but on the face of it, I think it's a good model to follow. - but most likely unpractical in football anyway. Domestically, loyalty would be restored because money grabbing would be non-existent because it's the national team who pays them, that's why in NZ, no team has a monopoly of awesome players like in football.

I'm not saying that there shouldn't be any foreign players because that isn't good for the game, they bring a different culture which enriches our domestic game, however, this system undercuts our young players, with managers under pressure to succeed ASAP, what manager who is sane is going to blood youngsters through when they could buy a ready made foreign player minus the effort and money for young players, what's also promoting this is English teams, they want rip off amounts for fellow English players, 55m for Henderson and Carroll whilst Gotze cost 32.5m for Bayern, that's insane, I remember West Ham wanting 20m for Carlton Cole - he's shite!

The money is at club level, never going to happen.

CJ_covblaze

Typical home nations clash...serves as a reminder why ditching the Home Internationals was actually a good idea IMO

Didn't hear of or see any trouble tonight and the two sets of fans mingled well outside the ground before and after the game.

Regular Home Nations games would be good to install some pride and passion into the squad. Sadens me to think the rivalry is slipping away along with the pride and passion of putting on the 3 lions.

When I was a kid my ambition was to save a penalty for England at Hampden Park (along with playing in the FAC final). I can't be the only one on here that had similar aspirations. Obviously this was never achieved! When I finally played against Scotland (albeit in the smaller sided game) it was a dream come true and meant more to me than playing against anyone else. Was the same throughout the team too.

Ability, power & speed are useful and important. Pride and passion are key to bring an extra 10% of those attributes out of players.

Brighton Sky Blue

Still don't think you're quite getting it Taylor-the best club sides have surpassed the best international sides for the simple reason that a club side has access to players from all over. International games are also so spread out it becomes difficult for managers to get his players all bought into his style of play.

For people like us who support such a God awful team the national side should provide some respite but those at the top have given up on it.

covcity4life

thought we were getting somewhere under hodgeson, same old uncreative shit last night though

wilshere,carrick and gerrard seem to be only players we have truly comfortbale with the ball at their feet. even great talents like walcott and oxlaide go 100mph but lack ball control at times.

need to develop kids, stop pissing about with power and speed BS

Brighton Sky Blue

thought we were getting somewhere under hodgeson, same old uncreative shit last night though

wilshere,carrick and gerrard seem to be only players we have truly comfortbale with the ball at their feet. even great talents like walcott and oxlaide go 100mph but lack ball control at times.

need to develop kids, stop pissing about with power and speed BS

A meaningless friendly with neither team at full strength.

RoboCCFC90

Really happy to say I was at Wembley last night for the game and was sat with a lot of people from Coventry and who support the Sky Blues (Block 14/15/16/20), the game at times was like watching City under SP a lot of passing between the back four and the holding Midfielders (Carrick & Lampard). Joe Hart could do nothing about the opening goal, Great header from Shane Long.. Half time entertainment was good, a Villa fan slipped over while taking a penalty which is always funny, there was a SISU out banner just below us (Don't know if anyone saw it, same end as where Shane Long scored and in the same direction he celebrated) Last ten minutes there were quite a few of us singing "Shit on the Villa" and even got Arsenal, United, Chelsea, Rotherham and Southend fans below us singing it :) There wasn't any trouble last night massively, but there was an issue with stewards allowing Irish fans to sit with the England fans, of course when they scored, they didn't sit and smile they got in most people's faces and we're cheering and chanting and winding people up, but in fairness they got evicted..

To sum up, I prefer to go with City it would be more of a laugh!

shropshirecov

Really happy to say I was at Wembley last night for the game and was sat with a lot of people from Coventry and who support the Sky Blues (Block 14/15/16/20), the game at times was like watching City under SP a lot of passing between the back four and the holding Midfielders (Carrick & Lampard). Joe Hart could do nothing about the opening goal, Great header from Shane Long.. Half time entertainment was good, a Villa fan slipped over while taking a penalty which is always funny, there was a SISU out banner just below us (Don't know if anyone saw it, same end as where Shane Long scored and in the same direction he celebrated) Last ten minutes there were quite a few of us singing "Shit on the Villa" and even got Arsenal, United, Chelsea, Rotherham and Southend fans below us singing it :) There wasn't any trouble last night massively, but there was an issue with stewards allowing Irish fans to sit with the England fans, of course when they scored, they didn't sit and smile they got in most people's faces and we're cheering and chanting and winding people up, but in fairness they got evicted..

To sum up, I prefer to go with City it would be more of a laugh!

Singing shit on the villa at an England game? It's a wonder you didn't get a slap. People who bring club rivalries to England internationals always look like complete mugs.

Typical end if season game, the Irish were well up for it though. The second half was dire. someone said Roy's team is starting to look a bit like the steve mclaren era, it'll be no surprise if we fail to qualify for the World Cup.

Hopefully Wilshire will get himself properly fit and the likes of Saha, Sterling etc will step up next season.

Bit surprised there wasn't a minute silence for Lee Rigby last night.

RoboCCFC90

Singing shit on the villa at an England game? It's a wonder you didn't get a slap. People who bring club rivalries to England internationals always look like complete mugs.

Typical end if season game, the Irish were well up for it though. The second half was dire. someone said Roy's team is starting to look a bit like the steve mclaren era, it'll be no surprise if we fail to qualify for the World Cup.

Hopefully Wilshire will get himself properly fit and the likes of Saha, Sterling etc will step up next season.

Bit surprised there wasn't a minute silence for Lee Rigby last night.

Yeah there was a little surprise among us that there was no minutes silence but there was a minutes applause before the game (Which you wouldn't have seen on telly) for the Bobby Moore fund.

In truth it was a game we should have won, but a draw in the end was probably the best way for it to end.

I only sung Shit on the Villa because I was aware of the fact that within five rows it was all City fans, other fans joined in as well, just a bit of laugh really to be honest, what annoys me though about last night is people started to leave the game at 70/75 minutes, now I know it was a little congested getting out of Wembley (For us it took us 30 minutes to get back to the car which we had parked at Stanmore and caught the tube to Wembley Park), but surely being Wembley you stay till the end, unless your lucky to get tickets to go to every game how often do you manage to get to attend a game at the home of English Football?

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
England haven't beaten the Republic since 1985 :claping hands:.
God bless Saint Paddy! :)

Users who are viewing this thread