England vs Italy (1 Viewer)

Marty

Have to drop Rooney. Wilshere was shocking. Crap defending from set pieces.

Otis

Remember 87? FA Cup. Hoddle? Marked out of the game, given no chance to impose his will.

SkyblueBazza

Lots of positives IMO...we stayed with them. Just that killer ball!

The defining thing - as the commentator said at about 92mins "Pirlo...he plays a different game to most people"

PUSB

Sub

why dont they man mark pirlo ? every time we play Italy he runs the game rooney needs dropping as well.

SkyblueBazza

Have to drop Rooney. Wilshere was shocking. Crap defending from set pieces.

Gotta agree...Rooney did at least make some positive contributions tonight, but even though I haven't kicked a ball for 5yrs - I could've taken a better corner than that on ANY surface!
He's got to be dropped - he doesn't fit. Great player if you build the team around him as MUFC...but this is England!

PUSB

Marty

Why was welbeck taken off? He was having a far better game then Rooney.

Otis

Gotta agree...Rooney did at least make some positive contributions tonight, but even though I haven't kicked a ball for 5yrs - I could've taken a better corner than that on ANY surface!
He's got to be dropped - he doesn't fit. Great player if you build the team around him as MUFC...but this is England!

PUSB

I would go for Lallana or Barclay in that role. Wilshere was poor when he came on but I would still consider him for a start. He keeps things ticking over and has a burst of pace about him.

Shooting and crossing was also piss poor for us tonight.

Otis

Can I also say, I do agree with the pundits here. Easy to say we were shit, but had that great chance for Rooney gone in (and let's face it he SHOULD have scored), it may well have been a completely different ball game.

Very small margins at times.

Play that game again and it could be a completely different scoreline.

Marty

I would go for Lallana or Barclay in that role. Wilshere was poor when he came on but I would still consider him for a start. He keeps things ticking over and has a burst of pace about him.

Shooting and crossing was also piss poor for us tonight.

Wilshere added nothing when he came on. Slow in possession, over running balls, poor timing on tackles. Hadn't played for about three months for Arsenal and it showed

Otis

Fitness play a part too tonight?

Just how many England players went down with cramp?

Otis

Wilshere added nothing when he came on. Slow in possession, over running balls, poor timing on tackles. Hadn't played for about three months for Arsenal and it showed

He played well the other night though in the friendly. Looked quite sharp then and made a big difference, so he should be close to ready at least.

Marty

757]He played well the other night though in the friendly. Looked quite sharp then and made a big difference, so he should be close to ready at least.[/QUOTE]

Hes not match fit.

Otis

I wouldn't get too donwhearted to be honest.

Bottom line is that tonight tactics and formations were our main downfall.

1. Not rectifying the problem down our left.

2. Putting no pressure on Pirlo and just allowing him to stroll around the park controlling the game. If Lloyd McGrath can mark Gelnn Hoddle out of a game, then surely someone could have at least done half a job on Pirlo.

Besides that our finishing and crossing were also poor, but there were a lot of positives.

I am confident that we can beat both Uruguay and Costa Rica and that will surely see us through.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Hard luck for the lads today, could've got a point or even 3 on another day. More confidence of progress now than before.

Rooney isn't the same player he was, he can still provide the quality pass as shown for the goal but he lacks the power, pace and explosiveness that he used to have. He doesn't have the power to play in the '3' behind the striker and he isn't as good as Sturridge in the striker position so he shouldn't be in the team currently. How many times did he pick up the ball and drive forwards as he used to, once I remember when he shot wide.

I see him long term becoming a deep playmaker as the way Scholes was as he has the quality and passing range to do it but he no longer has the pace and power that he used to have.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Massively overrated, that pass to Johnson was laughable. Henderson isn't great but at least he knows his limitations.

Marty

Excatly. Henderson held his position well in front of the back four and gave a second 'out' ball along side Gerrard. When Wilshere came on we lost that discipline and ended up taking longer to get the ball forward.

SkyBlue_Bear83

What do people think on Rooney? Personally I would play this next game

-------Hart
Johnson--Cahill--Jagielka--Baines
---------Henderson--Gerrard
--Welbeck-------Sterling---Lallana
-----------------Sturridge

Could make a case for Barkley but I don't think he is quite ready yet. Possibly Oxlade if he is fully fit? Or do we think Rooney still deserves his place?

Marty

Drop Rooney. Hasn't performed at any tourament since euro 2004? Left baines exposed all first half. Isn't good enough to warrant the number 9 or 10 roll. Lallana would better suit the formation as well as offering better cover to Baines. Hes lucky he lasted past half time but saying that, I would have left him at home.

Marty

Not sure what was worse. Our defending for the goals or that corner.

Brighton Sky Blue

Not sure what was worse. Our defending for the goals or that corner.

Some people are lavishing praise on Italy for both of those but I agree, both were preventable. The first by not giving Marchisio acres of time and space to pick his spot, the second by not allowing Balotelli the free header. Sterling was fantastic though.

Sutty

All we needed to do was to close Pirlo down a bit

Just not that simple I'm afraid. The guy has one of the best footballing brains on the planet. He's always in space and always has time because he's creating it for himself, not because the opposition have forgotten he exists.

turlykerd

i think its now time to drop rooney.... that was the worst corner i have ever seen.nothing else really offered... fuck , that was hard to watch

Otis

Just not that simple I'm afraid. The guy has one of the best footballing brains on the planet. He's always in space and always has time because he's creating it for himself, not because the opposition have forgotten he exists.

So why isn't he just a master class and winning every game for Italy? There has to be a counter for him surely. You can't just let him spray the ball about the park all day long.

Didn't say it was simple, Sutty, just saying we just allowed him all the time in the world all game long and didn't even attempt to close him down.

Pele used to have one of the best footballing brains on the planet too but at times he was crowded out of games and really closely marked to prevent him doing too much damage. He was snuffed out of games at times. You can't just let a player like that have all the time in the world to pick his pass. You need someone nipping at his heels all game long. Knock him off his stride, hurry his passing game.

Think you will find he is a football player not a god. Players such as that can win games for their teams easily for sure, if you allow them to. What did we try and do to counter him?

Last 20 games Italy have won just 6.

Not saying it was simple, but we should have least tried to knock him out of his stride, put pressure on him and put in a couple of meaty challenges on the player. It was like a training exercise for him all game long.

Yes, he's a great player, but he is not some superhuman. Someone nipping at his heels a bit, the way Welbeck was nipping at the defence's heels all game long might have made a bit of a difference.

Bottom line is you don't allow the best players in the world all the time in the world on the ball. That'll kill you all game long.

Last edited:

Otis

Just wanted to add too, that i think we can be very proud of that performance.

Just how many times in the past have we failed to to play well at all in previous tournament group games and have got through to the knock out stages scraping wins and by the skin of our teeth?

I'm sure the world watching last night will have seen that we do have a good team there and that we are very much a threat going forwards. Think there was a lot to give us heart and I can see no reason why we can't win the next 2 games to see us through to the next round.

'England have changed from relying on long balls to a skilful side with "one of the strongest attacks in the World Cup", says Italy boss Cesare Prandelli. It was an epic match and I feel that England is one of the strongest teams in the World Cup," said Prandelli.

A lot of what wrong last night was tactically and not stemming the flow of balls coming in from the right. That can and should be addressed.

Bring on Uruguay, though I also have to say, I don't necessarily subscribe to this game being a must win.

Think we can win and quietly confident we will win, but if Italy beat Costa Rica, that will put Italy on 6 points and Costa Rica on 3.

A draw for us against Uruguay would have both teams on 1 point each, with Costa Rica to come for us and Italy to come for Uruguay in the last group games. Therefore a win in England's final game against Costa Rica would give us 4 points, have Costa Rica remaining on 3 and leave Uruguay having to beat Italy.

This next game I don't believe is a must win. Do think we will win though anyway. What happens between Italy and Costa Rica could well be key. Win for Italy and I think 4 points will take us through.

Last edited:

stupot07

Completely agree sutty. He's a special player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

stupot07

Can't see Uruguay being that poor again especially if Suarez plays. Big game a draw would be ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Can't see Uruguay being that poor again especially if Suarez plays. Big game a draw would be ok.

If Suarez was fit surely he would have played at some point yesterday. Back to England, I have been a big critic of welbeck but yesterday did not stop running and defending from the front. Rooney was shit as usual and I think the regret of not taking Cole will show

Users who are viewing this thread