Ever The Optimist (1 Viewer)

ccfcrob

Is it just me or so far this season do you think its a blessing in disguise?
The last 2 or 3 season at around about this time we have been top or thereabouts after a very good start showing good promising form, however we then start to fade away and fall from grace without a trace. This season though regardleSs of what previous managers have said about " doing the right things" blah blah blah, we are actually playing decent stuff and ARE doing the right things. We have a manager for the 1st time since Eric Black all of the supporters support and believe in, i am yet to here a bad word about AT. The season so far has be marked by SISU and the alleged takeover, however now that the dust is beginning to settle and that we have survived the latest transfer window without taking hardly any damage yet not improving ourselves very much, the future looks bright. AT now has a firm bunch of players which he knows he has til January at least, by that time any takeover will have been concluded or SISU with have to show there worth and front up the money. I feel thats its win win, we will stay low and keep our noses down til January then we will strengthen and rise up the table. Who knows maybe even do a Blackpool and sneak it. Remeber they had mediocre players and not alot of money, but a bloody good manager who everyone backed and got great players for pennies. Holloway= Thorn Charlie Adam, DJ Campbell = Westwood, Fox, Dann
PLAY UP SKY BLUES!

Otis

Errrmmm .... I am also forever the optimist re the City. Always think every year that it might well be our year.

Not this year though. This year there is a cold harsh reality facing us and anyone who thinks things are rosy belongs in a funny farm.

1. The squad is nowhere near big enough.

2. AT is still pretty much a novice at this manager malarkey. And people have been critical of some aspects of his styles (i.e. lack of substitutions and trying to hang on to leads etc.)

3. Plenty of teams that have played pretty football but still gone down. Sure it's all fine and dandy to say we are only losing by the odd goal but we are still losing!

4. How is it win / win? Strengthen in January? Are you crazy in the coconut? The only thing that will happen in January is for at least one more of our best players being sold and thus weakening the squad. The only strengthening at the moment will be the arrival of loan players from Premier clubs. There is no sign of any takeover happening.

5. Yes, we usually start off well and fade. There is absolutely no evidence whatsoever though that the reverse will be true and that we are suddenly going to go on a really, really good run. It's going to be a long hard slog all season.

I'm usually optimistic, but this season I think I would be absolutely mad to be so.

ccfcrob

it is only the smallest bit of optimism i have and its all that is keepin me from going completely insane, i honestly think we will be fine all we need to do is start scoring goals, Juke has a couple under his belt and if Cody is as good here as he has been in the lower leagues i genuinely dont see it as a problem on the pitch..........Off the pitch however!!!!!!!!!

Otis

Fine.

I do think we do have problems on the pitch though. Bell, Baker and McShuffty have been terrible and we have had to continue play them as there is no-one else to take their place. Goals have been had to come by for us. We really do need Cody to come good and come good really, really quickly too.

I also think the off-field stuff is affecting stuff on-field!

ccfcrob

without a shadow of the doubt but i definately agree with them 3 players being useless and to a certain extent i would also say Clingan. He is brilliant at going sideways and backwards aka Kevin Richardson but he never seems to do anythin constructive, his free kicks arent good enough and every single corner goes too deep yet nobody else wants to take them by the looks of it. Without a shadow of a doubt the off field events are affecting them but like i said AT now has a bunch of players which until January can only be improved

pusbccfc

I'm with you mate, with the young players ever improving.
Cody McDonald that could get some goals, I'm optimistic that we could finish around 14th.
Andy knows a good player so hopefully cody can be another fox/dann/westy!

PUSB

Covstu

i think it will be another year of struggling unfortunately but this could change with some good tactical loan signings.

torchomatic

I'm an optimist - or a realist. Call it what you will. We have now been in the Second Tier for a decade after constantly struggling in the top tier. We have found our level and I think a lot of fans have a problem with that. They still seem to think that we should be challenging for a play-off position every year as if we still are the "new boys" in this division. We're not. We're lucky not to have gone down the leagues like Oxford, Luton, Swindon or other clubs that were once in the top flight. It would be interesting to go onto the forum of a team like, oh I don't know...Chesterfield and see what their fans think. How do they see their selves in the structure of things?

Now, I'm not saying I don't want success, I do. I just don't think we're entitled to it like some people seem to think.

My first match was in 1972, but I've only been going regularly since the 78/79 season and during that time I can remember good games of course, great runs and obviously one memorable season 25 years ago, but apart from that it's been pretty dire. And all the blame can't be laid at the door of SISU. Previous regimes have been worse for the club and are just as much to "blame" as the current custodians. One other problem we have is the lack of support. Yes, there's the die-hards, but we can only dream of having the support of Norwich, Southampton, Derby and Leicester - clubs similar in size to ours. They have big gates regardless. We don't. Only when we play big teams do the people of Coventry and Warwickshire get off their arses. I remember being annoyed with the fans ringing up and texting CWR when we were drawn against Chelsea in the Cup. The same people who the week before were slagging off the club saying we were crap and they were never going to go again were moaning that they couldn't get a ticket and they'd supported the City for years and they bled Sky Blue blood, etc etc.

I do have optimism for this season. We have a good manager after the dross of Bothroyd, Dowie, McAllister, etc and we have some good young players. The board have finally started talking the talk and I hope they can finally deliver, because we do deserve some cheer and success. That's not the same as being entitled to it though. We've got to earn it and the fans (those of us who can be bothered) should support the team.

First win tomorrow, I reckon.

Otis

If we bring in 2-3 quality loan signings then I will be optimistic once more. But until that point in time I am in the pessimistic camp.

ccfcrob

i think ive definately sprung somethin here all very good points, and thats what its all about by no means we have any god given right to be there, but there the clubs that do do it when nobody is looking lets be honest it cant really get any worse..............can it?:thinking about:

TheSnoz

Torchomatic couldn't have put it better. It is the stayaway fans that are the problem. The fairweather ones. A big city like Coventry should have much greater support, we used to a long time ago. More fans more money. More money better players. Simple logic. But the stayaways come out with all the excuses, the board, the ground, this player, the shirt, the catering, the style of play. If people stopped whingeing and actually got off their arses, as Torchy says, we might progress. The REAL INVESTORS are already here in Coventry. There are at least 10,000+ of them who could invest in their team and help them get back to where they want them to be. I don't want to hear that old guff about people in Coventry come from all over, don't you think that happens in Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds, around Arsenal? Don't they have Poles and people from Newcastle etc etc in Derby?
I don't want to hear about prices, the club have made offer after offer. For the price of three or four pints you can watch your team. Just pick up a ticket in advance. Or better still try this new fangled thing, think they call it a 'season ticket.' It gets you in pretty cheaply.
A massive part of Coventry City's failure over the past twenty years is down to lack of finance, various boards have struggled to cope with it. I salute the die hards, (of which I'll always be one) those that travel long distances to get to games. I sit with an 80 + bloke who travels a 300 mile round trip every game. If he can do it. That lack of finance is due to the stayaway fans. They don't like to hear it but it is true. Why they even come on this forum and say they can't be arsed this week or whatever. How do they expect the club to survive, on fresh air?
I'm not optimistic. Bigi is a real bonus. He'll be 18 in a few weeks and once he's given a bit more freedom he'll blossom I'm sure. Cyrus is obviously another. But we all know the squad is pathetically small. But the board can barely afford to bring in additions. If you want a decent team turn up and support them. YOU can make a difference.

ccfcrob

ill be honest very movind speak but 99.9% on here have season tickets thats why we feel we can comment dont get me wrong im only 22 but i was a jsb from 5 so effectively had a season ticket since then and until 6 years ago when i eventually moved up to Cov i was travelling back and forward from Aylesbury every Saturday. The thing is its always been the way as far as memory recalls genuinely Highfield road seemed to be busy did it not, or is it the fact that it was aonly a 23,000 seater taking away the 4000 allocation for away fans leaves us 5000 short of what were averaging now. What annoys and i have friends who no longer go because its not like the west terrace. Fair enough however its taken time but im in block 15 and i see every week 10-15 faces from around me at HR, people can call it the naughty corner but its not its brilliant, if only the borin tesco value stand and the cardboard cut out CET stand would follow suit people may want to come

Nonleagueherewecome

Are you crazy in the coconut?QUOTE]

Do you know I actually had The Avalanches track sorta featuring that line in my head before I read your post? Strange times.

TheSnoz

CCFCROB, I'm not sure most on here do have season tickets. Or even go to games (some of them). We'll never know. But judging from what people actually say on here from time to time, some are very lapsed fans.
As I said, I'm not that optimistic. I like the approach Thorn has to playing and when they get a cutting edge to go with it should be better. I like that we are producing young players, it is papering over the cracks but long term it could pay off. We might still be in this division.
Bigi looks a prospect, but I don't think we've seen what he can really do yet. He's being kept on a tight lead by Thorn. Once he really starts to express himself he could be one heck of a player. AND for once, a young footballer who doesn't want to pee it up the wall.

Users who are viewing this thread