Fans need to look in the mirror (1 Viewer)

Hobo

The only thing wrong with Coventry is due to the prolonged lack of success we don't have glory hunters from other parts of the country swelling our numbers every other week like Manchester United and Liverpool.

We are not alone in this.

Gint11

Every home game is a stadium full of home critical fans, that's just the way it is, at home you expect a performance. I think placing blame on the fans for the mis management of the club is a absolute cheek. To get the attendances we've had over the years with NO success has been remarkable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

I remember my old man saying to me "son, in life you will end up with the woman you deserve" it's true you do.

So it got me thinking maybe this is true for football fans, maybe you end up with the team you deserve. For as long as I can remember there has always been an overwhelming feeling of negativity and moaning from a fair few city fans I know. It's like they just love to moan at someone or something.

Yes the club has been run poorly but it doesn't excuse the fact that as fans we have never really got together and tried to drag a squad of players through the crap and stick by them. Barely any ex players have come forward and said yes the fans were great etc etc etc, the reason for this is we never really have the players backs. We're happy to jump on a bandwagon when there's a sniff of Wembley or a decent cup run but when the going gets tough we get a going.

In my opinion I'm not sure we're gonna have a club for much longer until the fans start showing we actually want a club. Just turning up on a Saturday and saying at least I'm here isn't enough anymore, real passion needs to be shown by everyone in the stadium singing shouting or screaming whatever it is.

The club is dying as I don't think our fans really care, the match, it's just something to do on a Saturday isn't it?

I don't think we can blame anyone except ourselves as we have allowed this to happen due to apathy and not really giving a fuck.

Surely now we're down now to fight or flight, what's it gonna be?

Hello Mr Fisher, nice of you to join us !!! :rage:

cloughie

I remember my old man saying to me "son, in life you will end up with the woman you deserve" it's true you do.

So it got me thinking maybe this is true for football fans, maybe you end up with the team you deserve. For as long as I can remember there has always been an overwhelming feeling of negativity and moaning from a fair few city fans I know. It's like they just love to moan at someone or something.

Yes the club has been run poorly but it doesn't excuse the fact that as fans we have never really got together and tried to drag a squad of players through the crap and stick by them. Barely any ex players have come forward and said yes the fans were great etc etc etc, the reason for this is we never really have the players backs. We're happy to jump on a bandwagon when there's a sniff of Wembley or a decent cup run but when the going gets tough we get a going.

In my opinion I'm not sure we're gonna have a club for much longer until the fans start showing we actually want a club. Just turning up on a Saturday and saying at least I'm here isn't enough anymore, real passion needs to be shown by everyone in the stadium singing shouting or screaming whatever it is.

The club is dying as I don't think our fans really care, the match, it's just something to do on a Saturday isn't it?

I don't think we can blame anyone except ourselves as we have allowed this to happen due to apathy and not really giving a fuck.

Are you grendulls son?

Cov kid 55

It's obviously wrong to blame the fans for what's happening to our club, but I do think, that given the size of our city, to say that 8,000 fans is good is wide of the mark. That's not to be critical of those 8,000, but it isn't evidence of a strong fan base. It's a result of many, many years of decline, and a lack of hope for the future, but I would love to see many more people in the City get behind the team and help to drag the club forward.

singers_pore

It's pretty obvious the OP has signed in with a new user name. My money's on the OP being someone like Grendel, chiefdave or Nick.

Macca

So you think there's nothing wrong with, for example, the fact we got 28000 against Gillingham (all we want is to see the city at the Ricoh,and we'll get behind the team, remember)... Then got 10000 the week after against I think Yeovil, in arguably a far more important game for our at the time playoff ambitions (on the back of a win against Gillingham).

SISU apologist, that's a good one, not heard that before. They are a disgrace, and I can't see why they don't understand that the only way to get themselves out of this mess is the invest even a small amount in the fortunes of the playing side.

But the fans who think that SISU "fucking off" tomorrow, will miraculously lead to this club becoming great again, are the ones who are deluded.

Football fans go to big occasion shocker

Totally unique to CCFC obviously

Macca

A little bit excessive from the OP but I've said before and I do believe that we are part of the problem. So many fans turn up and sit, teeth bared, raring to vent their spleen at the earliest opportunity. This doesn't help. Even last season when we were on a great run. We are clearly not responsible for the mess we're in but we don't help ourselves. The two times we've had any run of success in recent seasons was Northampton where there was a small section of support and no negative atmosphere, and the start of last season when moving everyone together (combined with an early goal against Wigan) caused a positive effect on the atmosphere.

Totally unique to CCFC,

trevelfarandwide

Our fans don't care?!?!

Ok, now I'm one of those who is less likely to tell you to fuck off, pal - but get a feel of the place first, since you're a new member, and please don't insult us with this kind of crap...you sound like Timmy, ffs.

Even if our inclination was 'fight', please enlighten us, what can we do apart from protest? It's not like we can perform a coup, and we don't have the collective funds to take the club over...so please, enlighten us, instead of telling us what horrible fans we are.

letsallsingtogether

Totally unique to CCFC,
Of course it is.
After all some would call it Passion.
And I believe no matter what side of the fence your on we have real passion just slowly being kicked out of us.
PUSB

Nick

Administrator
It's pretty obvious the OP has signed in with a new user name. My money's on the OP being someone like Grendel, chiefdave or Nick.

I probably wouldn't start using real money on your bets then ;)

Is very strange they have signed up, posted and don't seem to have come back again. I will keep an eye to see if they bother to return or if it was just leaving it never to return!

For the record, I agree with the bit about sticking with the team but not the bit about ONLY blaming the fans.

Last edited:

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

I probably wouldn't start using real money on your bets then ;)

Is very strange they have signed up, posted and don't seem to have come back again. I will keep an eye to see if they bother to return or if it was just leaving it never to return!

For the record, I agree with the bit about sticking with the team but not the bit about ONLY blaming the fans.
So what proportion of the blame do the fans take ?

chiefdave

My money's on the OP being someone like Grendel, chiefdave or Nick.
Not guilty!

Blaming the fans is a very dangerous path to take. Lets face it, anyone who was there on Saturday was not having an enjoyable afternoon so how can you blame anyone for not going. The flip side of that is 8K is low for a city our size, irrespective of how bad our recent history is. If there was 15-20K there every week (not impossible when you look at teams like Pompey) we'd be in a much better position in terms of budget and, IMO, attracting a new owner.

duffer

Blaming the fans for the club's predicament is clearly putting the cart before the horse. What's happened on and off the pitch for the last 15 (or more) years is why we're struggling - that anyone would pay hard=earned cash to watch us at the moment is a testament to how loyal a large section of our fans are.

Generally speaking I don't think Cov fans are any better or any worse than anyone else out there, but we've certainly suffered more than most.

clint van damme

I think it's very harsh to say City fans deserve this team or this club. The main body of supporters have been vary patient and tolerant considering the fact that there has been no sniff of success since 1987 and no top 6 finish in any division since 1970. Imagine if that had happened somewhere like Leeds or Liverpool!

Where I do think we have been far too apathetic is in protesting. We have seen various factions arguing with each other about how best to protest while the club just dies a slow death in the background. A united fan base would have been far more effective in organising marches, sit-ins, protests at televised games, pigs on the pitch, boycotts of cup games and so on. Instead, every time we have a protest, others just moan about it.

,My feeling now is that it's just too late. So many fans have been driven away, just given up and can't be bothered to do anything any more. Unless the remaining diehards can unite to get the owners to walk away quickly, the club is on its deathbed and beyond saving.

great post mate except for saying it's all now too late. It's never too late, where there's life there's hope.
As the commentator said on MOTD on Saturday, on the day Barack Obama was inaugurated Bournemouth were 23rd in division 2!

Sky Blue Kid

[QUOTE="Travs, post: 1247995, member: 6229"]So you think there's nothing wrong with, for example, the fact we got 28000 against Gillingham (all we want is to see the city at the Ricoh,and we'll get behind the team, remember)... Then got 10000 the week after against I think Yeovil, in arguably a far more important game for our at the time playoff ambitions (on the back of a win against Gillingham).

SISU apologist, that's a good one, not heard that before. They are a disgrace, and I can't see why they don't understand that the only way to get themselves out of this mess is the invest even a small amount in the fortunes of the playing side.

But the fans who think that SISU "fucking off" tomorrow, will miraculously lead to this club becoming great again, are the ones who are deluded.[/QUOTE]

The "Old Chestnut" again. Nothing at all to do with Fisher saying on the day of the Gillingham game "We are only back at the Ricoh temporarily because we are still going to build our own stadium"... Nah! nothing to do with that statement at all.

rondog1973

And now? I don't get this at all. I have a mate who says that CCC are trying to driver us out of city. Really? Surely they have more important things to focus on.
Definitely engaged in a campaign to drive Sisu out of CCFC.

To say they want CCFC out of Coventry is frankly Grendelite.

fernandopartridge

And now? I don't get this at all. I have a mate who says that CCC are trying to driver us out of city. Really? Surely they have more important things to focus on.
They've got a new team now. Look at some of councillors' twitter accounts. Usually tweeting about the great time they have watching Wasps!
For CCC's reputation, Wasps must not fail. Some posters on here have said they know people who have switched from CCFC to be Wasps ST holders; as such the two clubs are competing for the same fans.
We know which one has the explicit support of the council; they were allowed to negotiate a deal for the council's share of ACL that was unthinkable for CCFC under ANY owner as the council always wanted to be a partner.

Paxman II

It's about perspective. A city such as Coventry and its catchment area probably close to 500,000. So we are only getting around 1.5% attendance. Shockingly bad.
There has always been apathy in this City. We should be able to muster more than 8k even though thats the envy of smaller clubs in this league.
However putting the blame on fans is completely wrong. Having been through 34 years in the top flight I'm amazing myself with the support I still give them after all that has happened. That there is a pretty good fan tbh and many like me.

Users who are viewing this thread